• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is a UV Printer The Only Way?

SteveHem

Im wanting to print stickers like the ones below, transparent with white base and laminated.

Ive read nothing but negatives regarding printing white on Inkjet.

Do you think these which i had done locally are printed on a UV machine?

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

rjssigns

I need to understand something. Why are you wanting to print on clear and leave a clear "bleed"?

Normal CMYK printer combined with a Summa or Graphtec plotter will bang those out all day and you don't have to mess with white ink.
They won't have the clear edge but you also won't have to deal with white ink.

I tell my students even though you are in a four color environment the substrate(white) is your fifth color.

As far as white ink goes UV printers are no better with white. If you don't use it regularly you WILL have issues along with the printer hosing it into the puke tank during cleanings.
UV ink also has expiration dates that need to be monitored as some inks "go off" and can cause clogs etc...

If you absolutely have to print white on clear you may want to check into the HP 700 or 800 series printers.

SteveHem

I need to understand something. Why are you wanting to print on clear and leave a clear "bleed"?

Normal CMYK printer combined with a Summa or Graphtec plotter will bang those out all day and you don't have to mess with white ink.

I tell my students even though you are in a four color environment the substrate(white) is your fifth color.

As far as white ink goes UV printers are no better with white. If you don't use it regularly you WILL have issues along with the printer hosing it into the puke tank during cleanings.
UV ink also has expiration dates that need to be monitored as some inks "go off" and can cause clogs etc...

If you absolutely have to print white on clear you may want to check into the HP 700 or 800 series printers.
Thanks for your reply, very interesting. The clear bleed as such is important to give the sticker the professional look as skateboard stickers which these are have always been done like that or 80% anyway. I guess to demand £2 for a 8cm sticker they need to go beyond the norm.

SteveHem

Print the white base with a Summa thermal printer and diecut with a Graphtec?

rjssigns

Thanks for your reply, very interesting. The clear bleed as such is important to give the sticker the professional look as skateboard stickers which these are have always been done like that or 80% anyway. I guess to demand £2 for a 8cm sticker they need to go beyond the norm.
Ahhh...now I understand. Two quid for a roughly 3 inch sticker. I'm doing something very wrong.

I'd look at the latex rigs as you can remove the white print heads when you don't need them and you don't waste ink either.

rjssigns

Print the white base with a Summa thermal printer and diecut with a Graphtec?
Brain fade this morning. One of these bad boys would do it all in one shot.

rjssigns

love this forum, thanks for the advice.

This is about to end and is 15 mins away from me in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17544199...qz8mcINQsi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Hmmm....I don't know a lot about them but there are no inks to dry out. Lots of spare parts too. Not sure about parts but Phil from Arimark would be able to help you out.

Honestly for that kind of money I'd be tempted to take a flyer on it. Worse case you can part it out or write it off and bin it.

APCInk

Merchant Member
Im wanting to print stickers like the ones below, transparent with white base and laminated.

Ive read nothing but negatives regarding printing white on Inkjet.

Do you think these which i had done locally are printed on a UV machine?

View attachment 162046 View attachment 162047 View attachment 162048 View attachment 162049
Fun looking designs, yes white with solvent is a nightmare, whereas white with UV printers such as the Mimaki UCJV300 or UV100 makes great decals.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Uv is the way to go for clear stickers. Main draw back is uv printers are pricey and require a lot more maintenance than solvent printers. Most require daily use or you start running into issues. If your gonna go this route make sure to build up customers base first before making the jump.

SteveHem

Looking at the price of the UV printers i think it might be an idea to go for something like a refurbed VS300I or similar and sub the the clear designs out for now.

I do like the look of the Gerber setups but they do seem abit limited in terms of applications.

SteveHem

Save yourself a headache buying a crappy used machine and out source it.
It’ll cost you less
And the quality will be better
Yeah i hear ya, to be honest though i’m to excited about the whole prospect of doing them myself i couldn’t stop myself now haha

ikarasu

Isn't doing CMYK on a thermal printer a pain in the ass / not good quality? Sure it'll do a nice white underbase.... But then you're limited to the colors on top.

$2 a sticker - is that retail? One at a time? Or bulk, selling 100 of them for $200? If the former... $2 isn't much and you'll take forever to make your money back.

The only white I'd ever consider is a latex. You're looking at about 20-25k for the latex with white ink though.

Honestly, outsource it and save up for a latex printer. I don't think you'll be happy with a thermal printer for what you're trying to do ..

{Edit} huh. The dc4 does CMYK pretty good... I stand corrected. I still think latex is the way to go, but now I'm interestedbin a dc4 for myself....

[Edit2] 50 cents per sqft per color roughly ... So cmykw would be $2.50 per sqft just for the ribbon... I changed my mind, I'll stick with my 15-30 cents a sqft printer.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Isn't doing CMYK on a thermal printer a pain in the *** / not good quality? Sure it'll do a nice white underbase.... But then you're limited to the colors on top.

$2 a sticker - is that retail? One at a time? Or bulk, selling 100 of them for $200? If the former... $2 isn't much and you'll take forever to make your money back.

The only white I'd ever consider is a latex. You're looking at about 20-25k for the latex with white ink though.

Honestly, outsource it and save up for a latex printer. I don't think you'll be happy with a thermal printer for what you're trying to do ..

{Edit} huh. The dc4 does CMYK pretty good... I stand corrected. I still think latex is the way to go, but now I'm interestedbin a dc4 for myself....

[Edit2] 50 cents per sqft per color roughly ... So cmykw would be $2.50 per sqft just for the ribbon... I changed my mind, I'll stick with my 15-30 cents a sqft printer.
That's the only thing latex impressed me by. It's white.