• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is paid membership worth it for me?

knifemaker3

Greeting all,
I've been a member here for awhile now. I don't post much, just mostly lurk.

However, I've been wanting to get more into signs to help increase my current screenprinting business with the addition of signage. Right now, I do simple DOT lettering on trucks, simple signs, etc. utilizing mostly vinyl. Around my area, at least the immediate area, that is the most of what you see. Even from the sign painter that's been in business for years. You do see channel letters on businesses and billboards, but not much in the way of foam signs, or even painted HDU on MDO. Just simple signs that are not really all the attractive for the community.

What I'm saying is THIS AREA NEEDS BROUGHT INTO THE FUTURE!!

So, if I pay for membership here and start to try to learn this, is the help going to be there and is it worth paying for for a newbie like myself?

I can take constructive criticism quite well if it is given in the spirit of trying to make me better at my craft. But, I don't want to waste my time if the people here are just going to try and treat me like a total idiot just because I'm just starting out like they were at one time.

So, worth paying or not?

Thanks
Craig

jscarl

When i read Pocpno's post i knew i did not need to say a thing. Try it. There is a million answers here and lots of great advise. Pm Bigdawg and ask her for an opinion. She will be honest with you. And that won't cost $7.50. hahahaha

luggnut

for a person starting out it is definately worth it.. if you have questions about pricing, construction or general biz advice you can almost always get it here. i use the trade mags (signcraft , sign business etc,,) to get tips and tricks on how to make different types of signs.

but for advice like when i mispelled a word on a lighted panel that the client approved the art, i got opinions that helped me make the right decision for me. ( which ended up being replace the panel on my dime because the word was "independent" and i should as a pro have got that one)

the biz and pricing advice i got on this forum, i don't think i could have gotten any other way.

definatley worth it.

iSign

I think it's similar to buying a weight set, or a treadmill...
If you want to get in shape, will the purchase be worthwhile?
well, that is entirely up to you.

You can learn a lot here, but you can't learn it all... it will take a great deal of work on your part, but books, magazines, this forum, other on-line training opportunities & a lot of your own focused attention on learning & practicing... that is what you can do to improve yourself.

maddmd

When I first joined I knew almost nothing about signs. This site, at least to me has been worth a whole lot more then a few dollars asked to run this site.

Almost PRICELESS :thumb:

Thanks Fred and to many others

gnatt66

It was simple to me. This place is a wealth of knowledge, even in the 'free' areas. That's reason enough to spend the $$ to support a site that when applied as a business and creative tool HAS to make your investment back in no time at all.

As soon as my printer was in the works, I became a CM. :signs101:

iSign

Hey check it out...
Knifemaker is perusing the Premium Tips & Tricks already!!!

...well on his way to making that subscription pay for itself many times over.
Welcome aboard!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, this is what I like to see. Someone that has the guts to make an honest request, ponder on it and no matter which way he/she decides… follows through with it. That’s the mindset of a ‘Leader’.

Personally, I learn a great deal out in the regular non-paying section or what I refer to as the ‘Peanut Gallery’. I find out about people, their habits and their likes and dislikes. I don’t see the business information flying around except for the occasional….. how much would you sell this for and how do I figure out a new business plan, but in the ‘Premium’ section when you become a ‘Contributing Member’…. one can learn so much more. It’s like sitting down at any round table and discussing things instantly with your peers and fellow tradesmen. That place can be faster than any tech support in the land while having numerous suggestions and not just one tech’s opinion. You get first hand information from actual users and doers. People that have been through it and have obtained some better than average results are just all over the place. Sure, you’ll get an occasional insult or slam, but who goes through life without any blindsided opposition…. especially in today’s world ??

Go get’um knifemaker and put your subscription to work and make it happen and watch a ‘doer’ turn into a ‘leader’.

:thumb:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Just saw this.. not on too much on the weekends lately...

But thank you for your support knifemaker3. I hope you just answered your own question!! I think it is very well worth it for the archive of tips and tricks alone...

If anyone is on the fence about whether they want to spend the money... let me put it to you this way....

Cost of Lunch and a snack - about $7.50
Cost of smokes and gum or mints to cover it up from your wife - about $7.50
Cost of a six-pack o'beer - about $7.50
Cost of one movie ticket - if you take in the early show and go alone - about $7.50

My point is that the cost is very, very small to see for yourself. And I can tell you that the premium section is only going to grow, get bigger and better with the changes that have come to signs101...

So in my professional opinion, the cost of a month's membership beats the heck out of anything I listed above... and lasts longer.

Marlene

it's less than .14 cents a day. I think that should answer. all you need is one answer to one question per year and that alone would be worth the membership.

knifemaker3

Let me say this......

I WISH I'D HAVE DONE THIS SOONER!!!!!!

I didn't realize the wealth of information that I was missing by not paying for the premium services.

If anyone out there is contemplating rather to join the paid part or not....

JUST DO IT! YOU'LL NOT REGRET IT!

Thanks to all who have made me feel welcome here and to all who make this forum the great place that it is.!

Now, back to work......

Craig