• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is things really that bad ???

totalimage

I went on a estimate the other day to re-letter 3'x3' Pan faces(2). They had them down already. I asked them if they wanted translucient vinyl. They said yes.. Well there wasn't a whole alot of vinyl on the pan faces so I quoted her $200.00 a face. Cleaned and re-lettered. She told me that there was a sign shop that would do it for $100.00 for both..I said see ya!!! I feel $200.00 a face was little on the low end and she was going to tell me $100.00 for both...NOT!!! I did tell her to make sure she was getting what she thinks and to make sure that was the bottom dollar to their estimate. I bet there are going to be surprises ....

Marlene

the lowest bidder is getting the job these days and it shows. I have seen some of the worst work ever out there. signs with materials falling off, horrid layouts and just plain shody workmanship. once these people get what they pay for, they do, some times, give us a call when they realize what they did by going with the cheapest solution.

totalimage

The funny thing is she sent us her logo to be re-created in a email....I walked out of the estimate...I hope she is not waiting for a response.

imagep

You are probably right. I think that as often as not, when we loose jobs on price, it is because the customer is not compairing apples to apples.

The other quote was probably done over the phone, the shop was probably not aware of the fact that this is a lighted sign, and was probably not aware that the old vinyl needed to be removed.

Years ago I had a customer call wanting some copies. I told her 5¢ each, she said that there was a place in Rock Hill (an hour and a half drive from my town) that was advertising copies at "point 005 each", I took that to mean a half cent each. Hell, that was less than my click maintanance charge on the copier, less than the cost of the paper, and less than the cost of the toner. Most likely she was very confused and the "point 005" was probably $0.05 (five cents each). This customer had been a pita for us in the past, I told her that was a great deal and she should drive to Rock Hill. She needed 10 copies. Thank God she never came back to us again.

jasonx

Stick to your guns. Were one of very few who can print white digitally with an ink jet in our area for labels etc. whenever we give our pricing we always get told they can get it for half the price. We always get a ring back 10 minutes later with the other guy can't print white.

lol

if you have read Donald Trumps 'the art of the deal' he actually describes a sales technique of giving the lowest price to get clients to sign the contract allowing you to do the work and then upselling them through change orders with different specifications, materials, installation, etc.

there are many sign companies that utilize this technique as well...

parrott

I have a guy in town that trys to beat down my price for every order. His first order was for 2,000 18"x24" corrugated signs, descent order. We had to match some online price that he had found, but picked up the order and made some money. Second order was 1,000 8"x18" corrugated signs, had to match the price on the same damn website. Picked it up with a small margin, but an order none the less. Two days ago, he calls me for (2) 4'x8'x.040 aluminum signs. I quoted him $320 each. He came back telling me some clown across town will do them both for $350. Some things we can cut our price and make a healthy margin, but this is not one of them. If things weren't so slow, I would never cut my price. But now a days, we have to pick and choose where we can cut and still make some money.

Marlene

if you have read Donald Trumps 'the art of the deal' he actually describes a sales technique of giving the lowest price to get clients to sign the contract allowing you to do the work and then upselling them through change orders with different specifications, materials, installation, etc.

that is so true Dan. on our quotes, there will be costs for permits, install, removal and stuff like that. I have had people call with a much lower bid and it turns out none of that was on their quote from another company so it looked like they were cheaper because they didn't bid the entire scope of the job. I also see how that would work if you bid a job then once they sign with the company, the company upsells a new face or better materials. Trump may do business like that, but it seems underhanded to me.

John L

I like how he spoke of walking the bankers through one of his construction sites during the site work and discussing all the good to come with the banks additionally provided funds. It seems one of the bank executives spent a little too long on site and asked him.. why there were trucks dumping and reloading spoils that were just dumped and reloaded from the opposite side of the same project? Apparently the project eventially came to fruition but started out as a clever con.

Replicator

Although I can appreciate this as advice to make more money within my own company . . .

I find it to be an extremely distasteful bait and switch style tactic that always turns me off when another company tries it on me.

I usually send them packing as It seems so deceitful, dishonest and misleading.

S

scarface

To be honest, I would be at about $100-$130 a panel also so stick to your guns!

Techman

I find it to be an extremely distasteful bait and switch style tactic that always turns me off when another company tries it on me.

IT is not bait and switch.. It is upselling.. Completely different.

from web.

Bait and Switch...
a dishonest sales practice in which a business advertises a bargain price for an item in order to draw customers into the store and then tells the prospective buyer that the advertised item is of poor quality or no longer available and attempts to switch the customer to a more expensive product.

Upselling...
Upselling (sometimes 'up-selling') is a sales technique whereby a saleperson induces the customer to purchase more expensive items, upgrades, or other add-ons in an attempt to make a more profitable sale. Upselling usually involves marketing more profitable services or products, but upselling can also be simply exposing the customer to other options he or she may not have considered previously. Upselling implies selling something that is more profitable or otherwise preferable for the seller instead of the original sale. A different technique is cross-selling in which a seller tries to sell something else.

Ask and most businesses will tell you. The key to their success is upselling. It is one thing to get the sale. It is far better to super-size that sale.
successful upselling,

make up-selling automatic,,, successful upselling, make up-selling automatic

Real profits come when you get the customer to buy a larger, more expensive, or more comprehensive product or service. The guy going into a pet store to buy a fish is a classic example.
When the clerk sees Sam looking at the budget-priced gold fish, she leads him over to the much more impressive tropical fish.
"As you probably know, you will need a fish tank," she says. "These beautiful fish only live in salt water. We have these $75 salt water tanks on sale for just $49.95."
By the time Sam exits the store, he has purchased much more than the twenty cent gold fish he originally came in to get. He is proudly carrying home several exotic species, a $50 fish tank, fish food, a light, and other accessories. The sale went from a tiny twenty cent transaction to nearly $100. The store's profit margin rose right along with it.

Same goes for our selling of Magnetics for $19.95. Or, a cheap banner for that matter. That low price is merely a way to get them into the door. Our job is to upsell. If he asks for the $19.95 deal then give it to him. He is now a marketing lead for future business..

Refusing to honor the 19.95 is bait and switch. That is illegal.

copythat

Laugh it off!

We outlasted a sign company that came into my town with the notion of putting me out of business. Evertyhing I sold, he sold for HALF price. I did lose customers to him, but you would be a fool not to take advantage of the price. Well, he lasted 8 months. I controlled my economics by sticking to my game plan. Sell "Value & Service" you can't go wrong! Go ahead and sell on price and be very busy. They won't be hurting me.

Last edited:

TheSnowman

She needed 10 copies. Thank God she never came back to us again.
You've GOT to be kidding me. People just don't have a brain sometimes. I hope this was when gas was $4.25/gallon, that'd make it even better.

grafixemporium

The funny thing is she sent us her logo to be re-created in a email....I walked out of the estimate...I hope she is not waiting for a response.

I'm not sure walking out is the best option. I would have taken a few minutes to explain that different materials that could be used for the job to cut costs. I'd explain why your product is potentially better and why it will look better for a longer time period. If nothing else, you could make a few bucks on the logo design. Work is work. I certainly wouldn't have burned the bridge. Chances are, at $100 for both faces, your competition won't be around long.

totalimage

GX...Thanks for the advise and the rest of you. I will contact the customer tomorrow and go through it a bit...

Allied Digital

I usually send them packing as It seems so deceitful, dishonest and misleading.
Dtio. There is alot of bad money out there! I have learned well...the hard way, of course.,

Bradster941

Also, especially in this economy, people will tell you ridicules prices from the competition just trying to get a better deal.

Stick to your Guns. You are the Professional.

Malkin

I have to try really hard to not laugh at the people who want to do business with us, but think that we overcharge and should match or beat the price of the other guy.

I wonder why they don't just go there?

Lance

I have to try really hard to not laugh at the people who want to do business with us, but think that we overcharge and should match or beat the price of the other guy.

I wonder why they don't just go there?

The client is hoping you will better the cheapie price, then they'll go back to the cheapie shop and try to screw them lower again.
Then come back to you, then go back to them, then come back to you................Da, dada,dada.........:banghead:

10 copies @ 5c?
she wants to screw ya over 10 copies ?
50c.....?

ahh, I gotta say "What the heck are these ppl on ?":frustrated:

:Australia:beer:thumb: