• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this new............................................. ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For years, we've been doing designs and layouts for numerous customers. Other than in an historical district of some sort, no one ever says boo about the layouts/designs, unless they are not fit for the area. For instance, they'll say no to an adult book store sign next door to an elementary school if it has graphic pictures in the windows or on the sign. Again, size, position and type signs are about all they ever are concerned about.

Last week, a customer came in and had artwork designed by her son and it looked really good. I superimposed it onto the building and showed elevations, sizes and all the necessary information. They turned it down because someone in the office didn't like a piece of the design. The design was 2 words in the middle of the sign with a mexican sombrero and two maracas on each end. They said it can have have the picture on there twice. Now, I hadda agree, but this lady was in tears about the design her son made for her.

Since when did the codes people become Sign Nazis ??

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Brings back memories from 40 years ago. Boca Raton, Florida pretty much had a color of the day they would not approve and it would change from one day to the next.

Billct2

I've run into towns with "Architectural Review Boards" that can refuse anything they feel like

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Probably some kind of PC bullchit. Sombreros and maracas are too "stereotypical" perhaps.

Wasn't there a thread here a couple of weeks back about banning the use of the Chopsticks font? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I can understand historic areas, architectural stuff, where it's all been written out beforehand in the rules and you must follow certain guides, but not this. I'm gonna run it by them to show me where the code has failed. I like that.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The Political Correct "wokeness" will start bleeding more and more into our industry. I won't be surprised if we start seeing more of these types of threads where the "Designs" are called into question because of how some group or person may take offense to it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Architectural review boards weren't created yesterday and have nothing to do with wokeness. I must have missed the part where Gino said it was shot down because of a sombrero? Maybe it was the colors, or the proportions to the building, or placement? There's more to life than politics.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What happened was this. They didn't like it with 2 hats and maracas..... and said she needed to lose the one setup or they wouldn't pass it.

Attachments

• s101  not okay.jpg
    s101 not okay.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 209
  • s101 okay.jpg
    s101 okay.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 221

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Told ua, they were overstepping their boundaries. This is just plain wrong. 2 amigas means two people. Ya can't fit 2 people under one frickin' hat.

unclebun

The words are bigger with only one picture of the sombrero, so the design is better that way from that standpoint. But I too would like to see what basis they have for judging the merits of the layout when getting a permit. That would certainly be a morass they really don't want to get into from a legal standpoint. What does the ordinance say? You should be able to read it online.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not responsible for getting this permit, so I'm not walking anywhere. I also said, the layout with only one hat looks better. I agree with them, but that does not alter the fact, that someone seems to be overstepping their job calling. As for the name, it is what it is...... what the customer named it. It's a spanish mini mart with gambling and two ladies run it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm not responsible for getting this permit, so I'm not walking anywhere. I also said, the layout with only one hat looks better. I agree with them, but that does not alter the fact, that someone seems to be overstepping their job calling. As for the name, it is what it is...... what the customer named it. It's a spanish mini mart with gambling and two ladies run it.
Well then, ride your 3 wheel bicycle down there.