• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's always good to speak up

John Miller

My wife and I were in Newport Rhode Island for a long weekend and drove past the Newport Car Museum.
We love old cars and decided to stop in. We were blown away by the 70+ cars in the collection. If you are near by you should check it out. Anyway... we were in the gift shop, getting ready to leave when a woman approached my wife and asked if she enjoyed the museum. My wife said she did and the woman said that the collection belonged to her and her husband. That's when my ears perked up. I told her that the sign out front didn't do justice to the cars and the gorgeous interior. She said that they were looking for a sign company but hadn't found one they liked. We have a sign company, and we're likeable I said. After a good laugh, she introduced me to her husband. When I got back to the shop I send them some sketches. One of their issues was that the town would only approve a 32SF sign and their property was large. The existing sign looked lost on the property. My idea was to combine a 32SF sign with a large and striking base to give the whole installation more presence. We build the sign in our shop, dry assembled it and then took it apart
loaded it on a trailer and installed it in one day. ncm.jpg DSCF0433~2.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0471.JPG
    DSCF0471.JPG
    997.2 KB · Views: 564
  • DSCF0539.JPG
    DSCF0539.JPG
    896.4 KB · Views: 554
  • DSCF0556.JPG
    DSCF0556.JPG
    887.7 KB · Views: 556
  • old NCM.jpg
    old NCM.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 557

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Awesome!
Unrelated to signs but speaking of cars and museums...one year we drove out to Texas to watch my stepson graduate basic military training. My son, who would graduate high school the next year rode with us. He had mentioned that there was a Hennessey Performance School somewhere enroute. Sure enough there it was right off the interstate! "Look, Ben" oh he's asleep. Well on the way back through we surprised him and stopped in to take a look. The lady behind the counter asked if she could help with something. We informed her of my sons interest in attending the automotive school after graduation and if it were possible to get a tour. She stated they don't usually do tours without an appointment but would ask. A gentleman was happy to give us the grand tour....lots of fast (1000hp) cars and trucks everywhere. Anyway we're standing there and look over and Mr. Hennessy himself strolls over shakes our hand and introduces himself. Uhhh...no need, we know who you are...Made my son's day.

p.s. unfortunatley he didn't get to go to the school but works for goodyear now.

BobM

My wife and I were in Newport Rhode Island for a long weekend and drove past the Newport Car Museum.
We love old cars and decided to stop in. We were blown away by the 70+ cars in the collection. If you are near by you should check it out. Anyway... we were in the gift shop, getting ready to leave when a woman approached my wife and asked if she enjoyed the museum. My wife said she did and the woman said that the collection belonged to her and her husband. That's when my ears perked up. I told her that the sign out front didn't do justice to the cars and the gorgeous interior. She said that they were looking for a sign company but hadn't found one they liked. We have a sign company, and we're likeable I said. After a good laugh, she introduced me to her husband. When I got back to the shop I send them some sketches. One of their issues was that the town would only approve a 32SF sign and their property was large. The existing sign looked lost on the property. My idea was to combine a 32SF sign with a large and striking base to give the whole installation more presence. We build the sign in our shop, dry assembled it and then took it apart
loaded it on a trailer and installed it in one day. View attachment 146641 View attachment 146643
I've driven past that museum many times and didn't realize exactly what it was. The new sign should help open the publics mind . Now I can't wait to head in that direction and see it from the inside. Great way to show off your skills and help the museum grow with great signage.

GB2

Old Member
Really great design and execution John. Typically when the supporting structure becomes part of the design element, as you know, zoning will consider it part of the square footage and not allow it...you got lucky with this one and everyone is better off for it!