• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's official. I hate dongles

Flame

Just my luck. 6 o'clock on Friday, I'm moving my PC's and bump the dongle on the one that has Flexi loaded on it. The lil light goes out, take it apart, she's cracked. Which of course means, NO FLEXI! Oh how I hate these stupid ****ing little things. So now I have to wait until Monday to call to see if I can replace this thing.

Any of you tried to get a replacement dongle before? I'm praying I don't get a load of BS to get a replacement one for 8.0v2 ... and I have my fingers crossed that they don't try to force an upgrade on me. last time I did that, it took days to get my profiles back to how I liked them.

So.... thanks for letting me rant, and anyone have something similiar happen that can prepare me for my phone call? These things are available right? We talking $99....$400...or?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
$130 is about right. I ordered a replacement from Cibersupply - Bobby (merchant member here). Pretty painless and he can probably get a softkey to get you going ASAP and if you want they might even be willing to convert you to a permanent softkey which requires no dongle at all.

Flame

at least it isn't a parallel port dongle ... just saying ... grass is always greener on the other side.

I don't miss those. :p

Just saying, hate how fragile these things are. And the fact I have 3 vehicles to letter, 30 dirtbikes, a 20' trailer wrap and a couple thousand 6" decals and 350 t-shirts...with artwork approved and ready for production, doesn't make it any better. :toasting: way too early....

slipperyfrog

Dongles are a pain. They are hacked almost as easily as other forms of copy protection and are a constant source of worry for being lost, stolen, or broken. The fees suppliers want to charge are ridiculous for what they actually cost. I dread the thought of loss/theft versus breakage though.

I am not against dongle emulators. They are not piracy no matter what your supplier tries to say. They are a single backup. Keeping the real one in a offsite safety deposit box just makes good sense. Just be honest on their use.

I would actually prefer constant online verification for a number of reasons but that may not be suitable for all.

SignBurst PCs

A replacement dongle isn't a big deal. I don't remember exactly how much they are, but they aren't bad. You can get a temp code until your dongle is replaced (40hrs at a time, I think). If you need any help, let me know.

Flame

A replacement dongle isn't a big deal. I don't remember exactly how much they are, but they aren't bad. You can get a temp code until your dongle is replaced (40hrs at a time, I think). If you need any help, let me know.

Well it's the weekend so kind of screwed there, SAI isn't open. I was supposed to be working all weekend but I'll get over it. I can't complain about a company being closed on weekends.

Thanks guys, sounds like a few of you have been here. In my 9 years of various dongle ownership...never actually broken one of these things.

Techman

There are exrra usb headers on most motherboards. Just open the case and plug it in. The close the case. Done. out of sight and not easily stolen.

And when you sell the machine after is life is used up and you forget to remove the dongle and can never remember where it went. And then someone like me comes along and buys the machine at a recovery station and finds another dongle.. Again,,,

It is the great lottery..

WildWestDesigns

In one way I like dongles, in another I don't. I have one dongle that I actually have insured because the software is so expensive and I'm always worried about something happening to it.

bmatlock5

i would not be suprised that they make you upgrade to the current version. maybe they won't, bu t i still would not be shocked if they did

bernie

I bumped mine, light went out. I called Flexi (SAI) and they told me they no longer had dongles for my version 7.6v2 and I would have to upgrade. Needless to say ... its not going to happen.

I carefully tweaked the dongle, light came on, been using it ever since. Just a matter of time and it will go out. I'm not willing to upgrade to a higher version when I don't need it. Sucks.

Bernie