• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's official. I hate dongles

phototec

It all depends on how risk adverse you are versus the next person.

I have one software/dongle that I do have insured, because it is a significant cost over the normal professional level software. It's a little extra piece of mine that is worth it in my opinion, but it isn't for everyone though.

If you accidentally break your dongle right now, how will your insurance help you, it will be days before you can get a replacement, maybe longer. You will be down and out until you get a replacement dongle.

Best insurance is to get a copy of your dongle made NOW, and have it locked up in a secure place (safe), on hand and ready to go as soon as you need it.

http://www.dongleservice.com/dongle-emulator.phtml

:thumb:

Dakotagrafx

If you accidentally break your dongle right now, how will your insurance help you, it will be days before you can get a replacement, maybe longer. You will be down and out until you get a replacement dongle.

Best insurance is to get a copy of your dongle made NOW, and have it locked up in a secure place (safe), on hand and ready to go as soon as you need it.

how do you know they will not make copies of your dongle and sell it or put it out as a hack on the web? That is my main concern with that service.

royster13

Years back in a business course we discussed the subject of risk management.......For those is a production environment that means some redundancy.....It seems that having software that requires a dongle is the "weak link" as we have just seen....

CS-SignSupply

Attachments

• emulator.jpg
    emulator.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 139

CS-SignSupply

DONGLESERVICE.COM:

Domain name: dongleservice.com

Registrant Contact:
N/A
Dmitry Ivanov ()

Fax:
3, Louis Pasteur Street
Port Louis, N/A 00000
MU

Administrative Contact:
N/A
Dmitry Ivanov (dssupport777@gmail.com)
+230.9921297
Fax: +1.5555555555
3, Louis Pasteur Street
Port Louis, N/A 00000
MU

Technical Contact:
N/A
+230.9921297
3, Louis Pasteur Street
Port Louis, N/A 00000
MU

Name Servers:
ns1.zeohost.com
ns2.zeohost.com

WildWestDesigns

That may very well be with duration be without that specific dongle. I do have another software that while less expensive (significantly less), I can use it in the mean time. So how long you are without and how much that impacts you just depends on your specific situation.

I don't think so. That would set off my risk adverse radar right there. I wouldn't trust a service like that. It might be perfectly on the up and up and no issues what so ever. I would just mentally have issues with it.

As long as I'm willing to accept the insurance of the dongle and what all that entails, I will continue to do that. It doesn't fit everyone, but it works for me.

WildWestDesigns

DONGLESERVICE.COM:

Domain name: dongleservice.com

Registrant Contact:
N/A
Dmitry Ivanov ()

Fax:
3, Louis Pasteur Street
Port Louis, N/A 00000
MU

Administrative Contact:
N/A
+230.9921297
3, Louis Pasteur Street
Port Louis, N/A 00000
MU

Technical Contact:
N/A
+230.9921297
3, Louis Pasteur Street
Port Louis, N/A 00000
MU

Name Servers:
ns1.zeohost.com
ns2.zeohost.com

Oh yea, that inspires confidence for me in that service.

Techman

software insurance is useless im my opinion..

The deductible is at least 500 bux and is usually over $1000.
That is if you can get it..
The cost for the insurance is about $500 more per rider for a one time usage...

Haakon

That dongleservice site kind of reminds me of this image:

Attachments

• seems-legit.jpg
    seems-legit.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 82

Dakotagrafx

I am not willing to risk it just because norton hasn't added it to their database yet. I used to use esri software for GIS applications and their dongles can be read across a network to ensure only 1 computer is using it at a time but will allow you to run the software on more than 1 computer - you just need to make sure to log out of the first one. this was very handy and still ensured security for the software and no carrying the dongle between computers in the same area

WildWestDesigns

software insurance is useless im my opinion..

The deductible is at least 500 bux and is usually over $1000.
That is if you can get it..
The cost for the insurance is about $500 more per rider for a one time usage...

No it's not. At least's not for my policy, it's well under that. Less then half of that $500.00. However, you also have to remember that my software is well over 5 figures for the full blown version that I use and the deductible is for a year. So it takes a long time to equal the cost of the original software itself.

Once again though, you have to remember, that it may not be the most economical decision logically. Most insurance polices are not. It boils down to what the individual person puts more value on and that will vary. This reflects one of the biggest flaws in the classic economic model and it's assumption that people think rationally all the time.

Flame

well update. Key arrived at noon, but Flexi doesn't recognize it. Been trying tech support for about a half hour, no luck so far. Lovelyyyy. Will keep trying.

Flame

Ugh. had to load on to a totally different computer. So that means go through all the setup, reset IPs, import icc profiles, figure out my ink limits again yada yada yada. Almost back up and running, got 40 hours left on my program then Flexi has to give me a new code. WHAT A HEADACHE!!! But thanks Dwight at SAI for helping me out. This guy is the only tech guy there this week due to ISA. No clue why a different PC fixed the issue but it did and looks like in about a half hour I can start working again.

I see how some make drinking a hobby. Sheeeesh.

CS-SignSupply

You might also try downloading the latest Sentinel driver on your older computer to see if it will then recognize the dongle, light up green... Link