• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's official. I hate dongles

Sign Works

I bumped mine, light went out. I called Flexi (SAI) and they told me they no longer had dongles for my version 7.6v2 and I would have to upgrade. Needless to say ... its not going to happen.

I carefully tweaked the dongle, light came on, been using it ever since. Just a matter of time and it will go out. I'm not willing to upgrade to a higher version when I don't need it. Sucks.

Bernie

Never persued it but have wondered if you could possibly obtain the hasp from the hasp manufacturer in these cases. I believe Aladdin was the manufacturer for the original Flexi USB hasp (the red ones, got one right in front of me runnin 6.6 for my PC-600).

Steph_Stamm

I'm so sorry about the inconvenience! If you order the key tomorrow before 2:30 pm Mountain Time, we can ship it the same day. If you have Flexi v8.x, a new replacement key will still work with your software, and you will not need to upgrade. Again, sorry for that hassle!

Flame

I'm so sorry about the inconvenience! If you order the key tomorrow before 2:30 pm Mountain Time, we can ship it the same day. If you have Flexi v8.x, a new replacement key will still work with your software, and you will not need to upgrade. Again, sorry for that hassle!

Well that's a relief. I will be calling first thing in the morning. Thank you Steph.

phototec

As others mentioned, it's cheaper and safer to INSTALL the dongle inside your box, I purchased a PCI board with 2 internal USB ports, 3 external USB ports, and 2 external Firewire ports.

This allowed me to install the dongle inside the computer, out of site for security and not sticking outside where it can get broken.

Lean from this lesson...

:thumb:

Flame

How did this work out?

Well calling them got me absolutely no where. Been trying all morning. Steph got back to me pronto via e-mail, just waiting to hear a price and how fast they can get one to me. Will keep you guys updated :rock-n-roll::popcorn:

CS-SignSupply

The 2010 Q4 pricelist has it $105 with the following note (versions 8.x and higher)

The 2011 Q1 pricelist also has it at $105 but no mention of 'version 8.x and higher'.

Shipping is extra of course.

You may need to rely on Steph's statement here to get the version 8 key. The last time I needed this, upgrade was required as version 8 is no longer 'officially' supported.

Give me a call if needed... I will go to bat for you.

Graphics2u

You may need to rely on Steph's statement here to get the version 8 key. The last time I needed this, upgrade was required as version 8 is no longer 'officially' supported..

I hope it works out for you Flame. But if a upgrade is needed that is nothing more than robbery on SAi's part. That's like going back to your car dealer with a 2008 model car and wanting them to make a key for it, and you're told "I'm sorry but you'll need to trade up to a 2012 model because your car is no longer serviced. You can just throw that old 2008 car in the trash now. I know it still runs fine and it has a lot of miles left on it but with out the key that we manufactured to start it it's not really much good is it?"

I've been a Flexi and SAi user for almost 15 years and I realize at some point things will become obsolete but but how much of a problem is it to keep producing dongles?

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I hope it works out for you Flame. But if a upgrade is needed that is nothing more than robbery on SAi's part. That's like going back to your car dealer with a 2008 model car and wanting them to make a key for it, and you're told "I'm sorry but you'll need to trade up to a 2012 model because your car is no longer serviced. You can just throw that old 2008 car in the trash now. I know it still runs fine and it has a lot of miles left on it but with out the key that we manufactured to start it it's not really much good is it?"

I've been a Flexi and SAi user for almost 15 years and I realize at some point things will become obsolete but but how much of a problem is it to keep producing dongles?

Amen.. I had the same S%#$@ and no longer use Flexi... The problem is they have you locked up because you can't open the flexi files in anything else...

CS-SignSupply

Being a distributor, obviously I have no control over what the manufacturer will do. But I will do Everything I can to Help.

I too hope Flame gets the replacement dongle for the published price of $105 plus shipping.

If I may dare, a question or two ...

How many out there have their software/equipment insured against theft, loss or damage with a replacement value?

Say you have a 5 year old cutter that is no longer made/supported and your mainboard gets fried ... then what?

I have been with Scanvec and Amiable, now SA International since 1994 using Casmate for DOS and Flexi 4. A lot of ups and downs along the way but still a good product. IMO.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Being a distributor, obviously I have no control over what the manufacturer will do. But I will do Everything I can to Help.

I too hope Flame gets the replacement dongle for the published price of $105 plus shipping.

How many out there have their software/equipment insured against theft, loss or damage with a replacement value?

Say you have a 5 year old cutter that is no longer made/supported and your mainboard gets fried ... then what?

I have been with Scanvec and Amiable, now SA International since 1994 using Casmate for DOS and Flexi 4. A lot of ups and downs along the way but still a good product. IMO.

Good question, while insurance against damage or theft will replace your plotter/printer/albino you keep in a truck/supplies ... it will take time to get things sorted out ... equipment should pay for itself in 2-4 years and then a little more ... all of which should be saved by a company for equipment repairs and overhead replacement ... most suppliers can have a new plotter out in 2-4 days as opposed to the 2-4 weeks that insurance will take.

Sorry, sometimes the best insurance is good financial planning on the part of the owner.

as for the dongle issue, I always have a secondary way to use my plotters some are only a couple hundred and don't require a dongle. maybe that might be something until you get a new dongle.

dongle.

WildWestDesigns

It all depends on how risk adverse you are versus the next person.

I have one software/dongle that I do have insured, because it is a significant cost over the normal professional level software. It's a little extra piece of mine that is worth it in my opinion, but it isn't for everyone though.

Graphics2u

Don't get me wrong Bobby, I didn't mean to sound like I was coming down on you or "Flexi the product". You are one of the most helpful vendors and members on this forum, and I'm sure you will help Flame if you can. And Flexi is a great product, that's why I'm still using it after 15 years.

But when such a simple thing as a dongle breaking requires a upgrade of the software, that's ridiculous. Now if your software is 10 years old I can begin to understand it, and I can see them not offering support for problems or trouble shooting, but when all it is is a simple piece of hardware that needs replaced, you should be able to get that replaced as long as the company is still in business.

As far as insurance, you should always have a replacement cost policy. However I don't think you could get a insurance company to replace a Mainboard that get's fried unless you could prove it was from a lightning strike or something similar. If it just goes bad or a motor goes out you'll be on your own. Unless there is a type of coverage for breakdowns.

I ordered a mainboard for a 13 year old GCC cutter last year, had it in a few days. Try doing that with a security dongle.

CS-SignSupply

Graphics2u... I am with you... no issues.

I do know the manufacturer of the dongle was taken over after Flexi 8.6 (April 2010 or so) was released and there may lie some of the issue... September 2010 Flexi 10 was released for BETA and shipped Jan 2011. The older dongles, Parallel and USB were HASP or Aladdin. The new dongles are Sentinel. Each of which the software manufacturer licenses the programming software for each... Maybe they could not, or chose not to renew the HASP or Aladdin licensing. I don't know the real answer here.

In this specific case, the dongle was damaged, not faulty hardware. Tough call to make.

Steph_Stamm

You may need to rely on Steph's statement here to get the version 8 key. The last time I needed this, upgrade was required as version 8 is no longer 'officially' supported.

Hey CiberSupply - thanks for all you do around here! :) The v8.x keys are the same as the v10.x keys. The only time v8.0 is not supported is when it's on Windows 7. You need v8.5 and above for that.

Well, I'm off to ISA. Anyone attending is free to stop by booth 1936 to either come say "hi" or beat me up. ;-)