• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant I've frickin' had it.............................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For weeks, while working in Illy, I'll be doing something..... anything from copy & paste to saving to just moving something around and B A M !!! The program closes itself out. I've been trying to figure out, what I'm doing wrong and can't find any rhyme or reason. In the last 2 weeks, I've talked with 3 other people who work in Illy and are experiencing the exact same problems. For no reason at all, it just closes itself down with absolutely no warning. I don't know about you, but everything is basically saved, except for the very last thing I was doing, but at any given time, I'll have maybe 10 or 12 projects going and I don't have them listed anywhere, cause I'm in the middle of all of them. Now, I don't know which ones I had up. It's so frickin' frustrating. I can't make lists all the time of what's on the screen top, so how could I keep better track of what the fug is going wrong.

Also, is anyone else experiencing this Illy shutdown crap ?? It only started in the last few months. And it doesn't do it on my older computer. I know, stay off the new computer, but I need to figure this out.

Any ideas ?? Gino :thankyou:

ps.. oh yeah, something else it's doing. I wanna try to open something, save something or just do something while the program is open and all of the tool boxes get a fat black border around them and the thing sits for maybe 30 seconds or so, just thinking with that little blueish green thinking circle hovering around.​

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gino, what version of Illy are you using? I think the latest is CC25 or something. I am one version back as I just found out this week the updates won't support Win 7 anymore.
Anyway, mine seems to be running ok - no sudden closeouts and I have been stressing it pretty hard with some stupidly large files I'm trying to print.
When I am having sudden closing issues without warning it has turned out to be a video card issue. Either with the drivers or the hardware. I had to change out my card a few months back for that very issue.
See if your vid drivers are up to date and if that doesn't work wait and the two - hardware/software gurus will chime in shortly.....

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Here are a few things to checkout that I have had happen. I would try it in the below order.

- In AI go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and make sure GPU Performance is clicked.
- Check to see if you are using any corrupted fonts
- Make Sure Adobe is up to date
- Run the AI installer and instead of installing click repair
- Defrag your RAM
- Make sure your Window and GPU drivers are up to date.

Those are all things I would try first since they are super easy to do. In all honesty is sounds like either a GPU issue or RAM issue. How much RAM do you have? And since you say new computer I assume that it is either DDR4 or even DDR6, depending on how new it really is. If I think of anything else I will shoot another reply

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Not all that familiar with illy but is there a setting for backup i.e. how often to backup. In Corel I have opted to turn the feature off for this same reason. It seemed to close at exactly the same time frame each time which by default Corel is set at 20min. It will still create a backup but for some reason with that feature turned off I haven't had any of those shutdowns..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here...... it just did it again. This lasts for maybe 1/2 minute, then returns to normal.

Have 32g of ram and got a nice video. I use my older computer far more than the new one, cause it's always crapping out on me, but only in Illy. It's CS6. Older setup. Never did the cloud thing. The new system is the lastest 10, while the old one is still 7.

Illy freeze.jpg
Illy freeze.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here are a few things to checkout that I have had happen. I would try it in the below order.

- In AI go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and make sure GPU Performance is clicked.
- Check to see if you are using any corrupted fonts
- Make Sure Adobe is up to date
- Run the AI installer and instead of installing click repair
- Defrag your RAM
- Make sure your Window and GPU drivers are up to date.

Those are all things I would try first since they are super easy to do. In all honesty is sounds like either a GPU issue or RAM issue. How much RAM do you have? And since you say new computer I assume that it is either DDR4 or even DDR6, depending on how new it really is. If I think of anything else I will shoot another reply

Doesn't appear I have that, unless I'm too dumb to see it.

adam v.jpg

Adam Vreeke

I see, must only be a CC thing. What kind of GPU are you running? You can find this out by going to start menu (or search bar) and type in about this PC.

Adam Vreeke

Defragment your Windows 10 PC
  1. Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.
  2. Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.
  3. Select the disk drive you want to optimize.
  4. Select the Optimize button.
ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A HDD. It will wear out an SSD (eventually overtime, but I don't recommend for an SSD).

Defragging your RAM basically means it organizes the temporary files stored on it so it takes the computer less time to find the file. here is the official definition:

Defragging rearranges the layout of files on your hard disk for faster access. ... It's a process run on most hard drives to make accessing the files on that disk faster.

Adam Vreeke

Gino, maybe you have maxed out your clipboard. Have you tried shutting down and restarting.

That's a good idea as well. Also do a shut down, not restart. Shutdown will clear your cache where as restart does not. You can even try a manual cache clear.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
  1. Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.
  2. Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.
  3. Select the disk drive you want to optimize.
  4. Select the Optimize button.
ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A HDD. It will wear out an SSD (eventually overtime, but I don't recommend for an SSD).

Defragging your RAM basically means it organizes the temporary files stored on it so it takes the computer less time to find the file. here is the official definition:

Defragging rearranges the layout of files on your hard disk for faster access. ... It's a process run on most hard drives to make accessing the files on that disk faster.

I KNOW what defragging is. Never ever heard someone trying to defrag RAM. RAM is written over and emptied all the time, no way to do so on your own. You can set memory allocations, sure.

Adam Vreeke

I KNOW what defragging is. Never ever heard someone trying to defrag RAM. RAM is written over and emptied all the time, no way to do so on your own. You can set memory allocations, sure.

Well it appears that I was plagued with typing before the first cup of coffee hit, and fingers / brain not working together. I have been saying RAM and I have been meaning to say HDD.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I close out (completely) at least once a week, most times twice a week. None of the other computers have these problems. Just my newest one.

Andy D

Just a thought of a few things to try:
Run CC and check the registry.
Down load a stress test program and see if you're bottle necking anywhere.

Last edited:

Andy D

I close out (completely) at least once a week, most times twice a week. None of the other computers have these problems. Just my newest one.
Personally I reboot a couple times a day...Anytime I have a bunch of programs going at the same time, Corel starts getting janky because it's such a memory hog.
Why not, it's about like turning on a TV, it reboots & is up and going in about 10 seconds, not like the old days, I could go make a sandwich in the time it took my computer to reboot.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

Windows 8.x and 10 are "SSD aware" and optimizing one of those drives just triggers a TRIM command on the drive which can often speed the drive up dramatically if a lot of cells are fragmented.
Very little wear involved, and does not shuffle files around like a traditional defragment.

More info here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-trim-ssds-why-it-useful/

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Some other things to consider; a bad stick of RAM can do things like this, if you're doing something complex a low-powered or bad power supply can create voltage fluctuations and cause problems, not enough memory, or scratch disc space, and as I have said before, delete your temp files regularly. Every time you install a program or it crashes it leaves behind a temp file that can cause havoc.

Computers are like people, they have a personality based on the hardware and software installed and they get cranky as they get older...

Attachments

• 1 Search programs.jpg
    1 Search programs.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 1 skip.jpg
    1 skip.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 1 temp.jpg
    1 temp.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 191

WildWestDesigns