• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I've had an epiphany....

high impact

Please don't turn signs101 into a PC forum. With that said, I do think we can offer up constructive criticism with respect for one another. I will continue to dish it out to those who are too high on their egos - this includes veterans and noobies.

We've all been there...earn some respect and do your homework. Leave the forum just the way it is, grow some hair and allow the tough noobies (cream of the crop) to make it through the apprenticeship! Derf is exactly right - look at the hazing Flame experienced AND he wouldn't have become what he is without it.

I have also experienced a hazing at times - LEARN FROM IT instead of crying to your peers.

Former member

Maybe there should be a Signs 201 forum for the "experienced" folks...

As a merchant, I don't see how a little hazing is going to hurt,.. if it's done in a constructive manner. If your down right rude and discouraging then yeah, it could cause new members to find other places to ask questions, and look for other vendors.

What bugs me, is when new members start threads about topics that have already been discussed... but that holds true to newbs in ANY forum. Alot of folks dont search out topics before they post.
I guess this can cause veteran members here to be "short " with their comments, ...so be it.

That being said... Shovel keep em coming...They gotta learn somehow. Just don't totally bury the newbs.

weaselboogie

I browsed for 6 months before I posted and I've been in the industry for 10+ years.

Newbs need a bit of self-reliance before just asking for handouts and help. The advent of technology at your fingertips has made people so un-resourceful. Looks like if you can't figure it out in 30 seconds, post a thread no matter how dumb it is. No wonder it pisses off the veterans. They've had to figure it out on their own.

My biggest beef is... how can you spend several thousand dollars on a machine but don't have the slightest idea of how to do the simplest of layout.? Hey, post a thread on how to do a DROP SHADOW. Luckily, this mentality is the Darwinism of this industry. They'll be the first to fail and close their business because they haven't had to struggle through learning.

Put them in their place.

The strong will survive any comments. I don't think anything anyone could say on here would make someone quit. It is really hard to pass judgement when you don't know a persons business. It seems like everyone can be really competitive on here. We are fairly new to the sign business, we expanded our current glass shop, which we have been in business for over 20 years. We got into the sign business two years ago, we were using a vinyl plotter to cut stencils for sandblasting and chemical etching because the market in our area at that time only had two main competitors, we had the county come to us and ask if we were able to do some decals for their trucks after that we landed a few big accounts and the business has really taken off. I use this form when we get off the wall requests or are venturing in to a new product. Technology is going to continue to change and people are going to ask for thing you have never done before and that is why I use this forum.

The strong will survive any comments. I don't think anything anyone could say on here would make someone quit. It is really hard to pass judgement when you don't know a persons business. It seems like everyone can be really competitive on here. We are fairly new to the sign business, we expanded our current glass shop, which we have been in business for over 20 years. We got into the sign business two years ago, we were using a vinyl plotter to cut stencils for sandblasting and chemical etching because the market in our area at that time only had two main competitors, we had the county come to us and ask if we were able to do some decals for their trucks after that we landed a few big accounts and the business has really taken off. I use this form when we get off the wall requests or are venturing in to a new product. Technology is going to continue to change and people are going to ask for thing you have never done before and that is why I use this forum.

Rooster

I welcome the hobbyist. The basement hack that's using the antiquated equipment and charging $12/hr for design. Bring them on.

Once a customer has used them, they understand the whole "you get what you pay for" premise. I've had more than one leave due to the "huge" savings they were getting from their sister's boyfriend's cousin's buddy who could do everything (and more) for 1/10th the price.

The one's I liked all came back checkbook in hand, and the rest of them usually stuck the kids with unpaid bills when they went out of business. The ones that came back didn't even bat an eyelash when the rates went up either.