• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I've had an epiphany....

signmeup

That sounds right Fred. Shovel I thought you were pretty rude to a few people yesterday. I thought maybe you were having a bad time in your personal life or something. I like the usual honest approch you offer up.

Shovelhead

That sounds right Fred. Shovel I thought you were pretty rude to a few people yesterday. I thought maybe you were having a bad time in your personal life or something. I like the usual honest approch you offer up.

My personal life is fabulous. :rolleyes:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My personal life is fabulous. :rolleyes:

guido.gif
Sounds like somebody got lucky.

skyhigh

One of the stated purposes of Signs 101 is to help those who want to become more professional become so. Sometimes it takes a while to sort those folks out.

In the meantime, remember the old saying:

And those who TRULY have a desire to be professional in this industry will understand where Shovel is coming from, and may actually benefit from his comments. These are the good patrons to our merchant members.

Like my thread from last Sunday....the front page consisted of 17 out of 20 new member welcomes. I don't think Shovel has scared anyone away....only enlightened them a little.

Of course it was Sunday and Shovel wasn't around....maybe they all wait to sneak in when he's off?

:Big Laugh

zoiko

This is a good topic, I for one am a sign newbe i have been printing shirts for a few years so i know what you all say. The reason i got into signs was that every time that i would do a new design for a client they would need new signs on their trucks or on a banner or such. I would sub it out and sometimes it would not get done on time or the quality was not up to the customers specs or mine even ......( i wish i would have used some of the merchants here) but the good thing about me doing my own jobs is the control i have and quality. I hold back a lot about asking questions as i find that some may be to dumb. but its also good that some of you guys come back with hard words....it makes me read into the past of the forum and learn a lot ....anyways while i am a newbe ill still remain a lurker arround here in the background in all the shadows of the greats ... lol...take care everyone.

Shovelhead

This is a good topic, I for one am a sign newbe i have been printing shirts for a few years so i know what you all say. The reason i got into signs was that every time that i would do a new design for a client they would need new signs on their trucks or on a banner or such. I would sub it out and sometimes it would not get done on time or the quality was not up to the customers specs or mine even ......( i wish i would have used some of the merchants here) but the good thing about me doing my own jobs is the control i have and quality. I hold back a lot about asking questions as i find that some may be to dumb. but its also good that some of you guys come back with hard words....it makes me read into the past of the forum and learn a lot ....anyways while i am a newbe ill still remain a lurker arround here in the background in all the shadows of the greats ... lol...take care everyone.

GET OUT!!!!:wink:

JimJenson

i don't like the guy that wants to save money on graphics and so buys a machine and expects us to teach him....

Is it really OK to dislike someone who trys to save money, and at the same time, try to save your own money by doing your own plumbing repairs, car repairs, stock purchases, home improvments, etc, etc.

Think on this a moment.

gvgraphics

I personally like the approach that you take shovel. Yes it might run off a few members and stop a few merchants from getting a sale but I think that is a small price to pay to keep the industry free from some of the "hobbiest". (SP?)

Some come here to get help and help when needed, some look at it as a free learning course and others like me look at it as an addiction. But with all due respect to the true newbies looking for guidance some just don't deserve it. They think selling a 4x8 mdo for $100 is pocket cash when some depend on this to pay bills and feed their families.

You help to weed those out. Your blunt but true style is you. Yet you are the first to hop in and help when needed.

Keep it up!

Digital_Dan

Those kinda clowns buy Steve's fonts and give them to all his buddies.

I know that isn't always the case, but more than not. Lets remember who we are dealing with...the guy that buys a plotter because his local sign shop is a crook and charges too much (maybe because they actually paid for some LHF's or a legitimate copy of Flexi)

Steve loses more than he gains....IMO

Well said, I know a few scammers that would (or already have) done this. Not cool and it needs to stop.

4R Graphics

Well I for one say speek your mind I am a total newb to the vinyl stuff but I got into this as I was doing signs and what not with a CNC machine and wanted to offer more. I find myself doign more vinyl and less CNC because of price these days. I have had a plotter for all of 3 months and I have to say the first thing I thought when I started is I dont know what to charge so I called the local shops and got prices found this place and ask and was given some ideas and was roughed up a little but it made me ask better questions. I want to make money and not cut the throats of my competition beat them maybe or offer better products, quicker turn around, nicer quality but not just slash there prices cause I have no overhead as they have families and bills to pay besides theres plenty of businesses out there that need signage.

skyhigh

Well I for one say speek your mind I am a total newb to the vinyl stuff but I got into this as I was doing signs and what not with a CNC machine and wanted to offer more. I find myself doign more vinyl and less CNC because of price these days. I have had a plotter for all of 3 months and I have to say the first thing I thought when I started is I dont know what to charge so I called the local shops and got prices found this place and ask and was given some ideas and was roughed up a little but it made me ask better questions. I want to make money and not cut the throats of my competition beat them maybe or offer better products, quicker turn around, nicer quality but not just slash there prices cause I have no overhead as they have families and bills to pay besides theres plenty of businesses out there that need signage.

See what you created Shovel

To Bearwin & Shovel.........:U Rock:

WILL YOU NOW GET RID OF THE HUSSAIN AVITAR...PLEASE.

ChiknNutz

I've suddenly realized that with my negative comments towards
"newbies" who decide to "jump in feet first" and start a sign shop
or those that want to "save money" by doing their own graphics,
I am potentially harming those merchants here who would benefit
from sales by scaring away these folks.
While I still believe strongly that the local sign maker is affected,
I will refrain from this in the future.

:cool:

Don't you dare, or I'll kick your F#$%^&G @$$!!!!

Tee Hee

TonyHoles

I for one bought a low end plotter about 5 or 6 years ago and I strictly used it for my personnal use. I made my own decals for my sport quads and streetbike. I then started making some for my cars and then my friends started requesting things.

I have always been a quick study and creative. I am an artist and I have been so since I was a small child. Being an artist I dabbled in many forms of art expression (painting, graffiti (forgive me I was young), drawing, computer graphics, etc) I took an interest in decals that evolved in to this business. I started to invest a great deal of time and effort in to learning more and more about this business until I could run my own business, which I did. After a few years of struggling on my own I realized the I am not a business runner/owner...but still just an artist.

I have since worked on my portfolio until I felt I could go out and land a job as a sign maker. Well, I have been an Art Director and Graphic Artist for a couple of places and I am currently a very happy employee of a sign/design business that evidentially has seen something in me, enough to offer me a Lead Graphic Artist position.

I am against someone buying a cheapo plotter and thinking that they can compete with sign shops and under bid them with their single 24" plotter. However, if they use that plotter to hone their skills and study the trade until they can one day purchase better hardware and either go to work for someone else or start their own business...that to me is commendable.

I for one wasn't cut out for running a sign business but a Graphic Artist I am to the core.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Most success stories have very humble beginnings.

Opinions, critquing and comparisons I feel are necessary...BUT DON'T EXPECT THIS FORUM AND THESE FINE MEMBERS TO MAKE ALL YOUR DESIGNS, QUOTE ALL YOUR PRICES, OR EVEN ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE ASKING MOST QUESTIONS.

Just the opinions of a fairly new signs101 member...now get back to work everyone...there's nothing to see here :)

Jackpine

I believe in any business you should do your homework. If you want to jump in with both feet and don't know your a** from a hole in the ground, you either learn fast or go broke. I have always bout software and hardware AFTER learning what it is and can do. Buy better than you think you can afford. If you use junk don't expect it to perform better than that. Lowballers have been around forever. Customer's who try to cheat you will always be there. I am always willing to help those who try to help themselves. I agree with Shovel and I do like reading his opinions. If the newbies can't take it .....too bad...it's the real world. I would have loved a sign painter just telling me a few of their "secrets". Here you can get most any knowledge about this trade. Be thankful and pay your dues.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I whole-heartedly agree with Shovel. I try being civil to newbies, but only in the beginning stages of coming onboard. .Being hard on someone regardless of how they introduce themselves or what knowledge they do or don’t have coming into this business should not make them feel unwanted here at :signs101: . Hopefully they will learn the trade and join our ranks and become a source others can rely on in the future.

I do believe there are some that enter here with an attitude and like to do battle despite their shortcomings. The idea that everyone has to start somewhere is very true. Considering one is new should not allow them to dictate how anyone else answers them or try to control posts or debates. If things get tough…. so be it. When you were a kid and played in the sandbox and tried to change the rules…. most will gang up on you and protect their turf. Samating here. There were few students in my old school that without consideration of their age got into an upper grade based on manners and lack of knowledge. You only graduated to the next grade by learning and doing a good job. Get out of line and you were reprimanded.

This is a trade to be proud of and when you see the same thing day in and day out being asked over and over…. one might be short with this person and forget that it wasn’t this same person as the six new people from yesterday.

As far as hurting a Merchant Member’s business…. they’re in it for the long haul and I don’t think anyone is going to be upset if a possible customer that is an obvious ‘Trouble Maker’ from the beginning… might get turned away because their feelings are hurt. Heck, it just sends up a red flag for them also… about a potentially problem client.