• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I've had an epiphany....

skyhigh

Is it really OK to dislike someone who trys to save money, and at the same time, try to save your own money by doing your own plumbing repairs, car repairs, stock purchases, home improvments, etc, etc.

Think on this a moment.
Jim, I don't believe that the mechanic should be pissed that Joe Blow purchased his own timing light. The pissed off part comes when he goes to the mechanic and asks him how to use it.

Think on that.

Dave Drane

From my point of view, this issue has always represented a conflict of interest.

First and foremost, I believe in free speech and non-censorship. I also believe that this has been a major reason for the success of the forum. At the same time, I recognize that with a name like Signs 101 we're bound to attract a lot of new people.

And yes, our merchants pay a fee to reach our members and guests so it's great when they get their money's worth.

My personal feelings are that rudeness tends to reflect poorly on the person being rude and to discredit his or her comments. I also think that a lot of posts appear here that jump to conclusions not in evidence. The recent young man wanting to support our troops with a wrap on his car, for example.

At the same time, there is absolutely no desire to stifle anyone from expressing their opinions. We've done okay even with the rudeness at times. I'm sure it has cost us some advertisers and that's an acceptable price to pay for an open expression of ideas and opinions.

And that is what makes this forum so popular. Thanks Fred.:wine-smi:

Cadmn

If the equipment suppliers were to stop telling every person around that this is the new get rich business just so they can sell equipment , then there wouldn't be soooo many dumb newbies coming here for instruction, I was warned once by Fred for being ugly & supposedly running off a new MM. I've dealt with enough people to know some will use any reason & blame anyone for not doing something,Like "Oh I'd buy that house if the kitchen cabinets weren't Brown." Hell I guess you never heard of Paint? But I have began to lurk more & enjoy shovel's & OP's & many others here keeping it REal & trying to Maintain the quality & respect our chosen Profession deserves.

Signguyno1

I have been in the sign business, in every capacity for over fifty one years. I have seen sign writers, sign makers, sign people of every description and or what ever they want to call them selves over the years come and go, some of which could sell ice cubes to eskimos and most of them have have fallen by the wayside and left a bad taste in the mouth of the consumers. Nothing has changed in that time, it's like the flu, they keep coming back. Blue and white coller workers out there who are losing their jobs, take their severance pay, go to a job fair, buy a franchise and or buy an ebay plotter, set up in their dining room or on the kitchen table, realizing that the sign shops out there are making a killing and they wish to cash in on the profits without any apprentiship or training, since it does not require any talent!

Shovel, I'm on your side!:thumb:
I love, Shovel Heads, Pan Heads, Pin Heads and Letter Heads. in that order.:biggrin:

JONESYS

jonesy
Shovelhead You Are Right For The Most.
I Am A Newbie Been In The Bus
5 Yrs. Just Bought Me A Roland Sp-540. Some Times People Like Me Needs Some Info. To See What The Going Prices Is To Keep From Cutting The Other Sign Shop Throat. But I No What You Are Saying .for What My Inputs Worth.

Samm

Is it really OK to dislike someone who trys to save money, and at the same time, try to save your own money by doing your own plumbing repairs, car repairs, stock purchases, home improvments, etc, etc.

Think on this a moment.

I wouldn't be asking my plumber for know-how!!!

jimmysigns

my first post,
shovel I'm with you, computers/plotters are making alot of people sign people who are absolutely clueless. On the other hand 99% of these type shops who work in my area suck and they make me look great :biggrin:
thank God I'm a painter and by adding a paint & vinyl mixture my work will always stand out over theirs. I would hate to have to compete if I had to use only vinyl. I'ld be out of business already if I couldn't paint. I just stumbled on this site googling a problem I had with software. looks like a nice place, I hope I can contribute :smile:
is there room for 2 guys on this site whom tell U like it is? :rolleyes:
I can be brutal

S

SignTech

my first post,
shovel I'm with you, computers/plotters are making alot of people sign people who are absolutely clueless. On the other hand 99% of these type shops who work in my area suck and they make me look great :biggrin:
thank God I'm a painter and by adding a paint & vinyl mixture my work will always stand out over theirs. I would hate to have to compete if I had to use only vinyl. I'ld be out of business already if I couldn't paint. I just stumbled on this site googling a problem I had with software. looks like a nice place, I hope I can contribute :smile:
I can be brutal

This forum is about people helping people in the sign business. It is not about being "brutal" ........... if that is your primary goal you'll lose ... and lose fast ....

Shovel is straight forward, (has talent) but also if very much a softy and he doesn't even know it! The rest of us can be straight forward but with respect.

Not all companies that start out with a vinyl plotter "suck" and not all are good either. It all depends on passion and the desire to learn and produce a quality product with good service. Not all "painters" are great either nor do they suck .......... Strictly digital business folks neither suck or are great either ........

We started out with vinyl plotter 4 years ago and turned $200,000 last year. Of course we also create signs from scratch including post and panel, light boxes and digital as well as vinyl application. Started in a living room 4 years ago and have a respectable store front years later.

You wonder if there is room for "2 guys who tell it like it is" you should get in line ... because the line is long.

Your first post ... looks like it will be getting you in the S^%$ right off the bat ............. maybe not ........ you'll see .... don't let the name Signs101 fool you ............ there are many consummate professionals on this forum ............. take a look around and read before you decide to get brutal. ~M

Shovelhead

my first post,
I can be brutal

no one likes a kiss ass Jimmy....but welcome! :tongue:

P

ProWraps™

with over 40 vendors advertising on here, i really dont think you have caused much detriment to freds business... i would say he is doing quite well.

The Sign Dude

I know I have learned a lot on this forum from a lot of different people. I may have taken a few people the wrong way and got a little defensive but I have learned to suck it up and look for the benefit in the comments instead of the negative stuff. There are a lot of great people on here that have a lot of helpful info to contribute positive or negative it is appreciated.

I took an oracal wrap class this past thrsday and friday in Pensacola Fla. Great class. The guy running it had everyone state their name, business name, equipment, software, likes and dislikes in front of the class. I stated that eventually I would be getting into the installation end of the wrap industry and out of the sign business because of all the people getting into it just for a hobby with no clue of what they are doing and only want to be the cheapest. when I get done with my rant and rave the guy next to me stands up and says that he has a full time job and started doing this as a hobby for extra cash. I do think that to some degree the low ballers do hurt us but I guess we all had to start somewhere.

Hey Shovel maybe you could post a disclaimer at the bottom stating..
The following comment do not reflect the views and opinions of Signs101 or the other members and merchant members. all though it is the only one that counts!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
with over 40 vendors advertising on here, i really dont think you have caused much detriment to freds business... i would say he is doing quite well.

I'm not complaining but you should also be aware that Signs 101 is only possible because I earn my living from other enterprises. I've never calculated it, but the revenue from advertisers and contributing members after expenses probably leaves about 50¢ an hour return on my time.

There are lots of big name potential advertisers who don't advertise at Signs 101 that you will find at more commercially oriented sites like Sign Web etc. That's not the fault of Shovelhead or any other poster.

jimmysigns

This forum is about people helping people in the sign business. It is not about being "brutal" ........... if that is your primary goal you'll lose ... and lose fast ....

Shovel is straight forward, (has talent) but also if very much a softy and he doesn't even know it! The rest of us can be straight forward but with respect.

Not all companies that start out with a vinyl plotter "suck" and not all are good either. It all depends on passion and the desire to learn and produce a quality product with good service. Not all "painters" are great either nor do they suck .......... Strictly digital business folks neither suck or are great either ........

We started out with vinyl plotter 4 years ago and turned $200,000 last year. Of course we also create signs from scratch including post and panel, light boxes and digital as well as vinyl application. Started in a living room 4 years ago and have a respectable store front years later.

You wonder if there is room for "2 guys who tell it like it is" you should get in line ... because the line is long.

Your first post ... looks like it will be getting you in the S^%$ right off the bat ............. maybe not ........ you'll see .... don't let the name Signs101 fool you ............ there are many consummate professionals on this forum ............. take a look around and read before you decide to get brutal. ~M

I went to your website, shop is too clean, no paint seen lying around. if the electric in your shop should go out can you still produce a sign? you consider making a sign from scratch including a post & panel. lol, ok I guess. I've got paint brushes 4 times as old as you've been in the sign business:wink: . Am I going to help out someone who buys a plotter, steal my designs and work for 1/4 the price. not in a million years. am I going to help out a fellow sign shop absolutely, done it a zillion times.
case & instance - 2 weeks ago a sign shop calls me, says he took a sign I did down 4 yrs ago. the restaurant changed owners, changed the name but wanted the sign done the same way the old one was. The sign had some airbrush & pinstripe work on it he couldn't do. He was going to try and save the airbrushing & pinstriping by sanding around everything. I told him don't waste your time. do everything to the sign but that, bring it to me & I'll do that part for you for free.
sorry if I offended you, I mean no harm. I'll try to be more positive in my next post.
funny, years ago signpainters wouldn't share a secret for nothing. now signpainters share everything we have with each other. thats why we had letterhead & pinstripe meets although I haven't been to one since about 1995 or so I think. they were fun

jimmysigns

David Showalter is on here eek.gif
guy's great clapping.gif

redrubi

I'm still trying to figure out the mentality here at times.

It's a newbie forum.. In fact here's the header.

Newbie Forum New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Read through here first.

No where in the forum header does it say: Come here to get bashed and discouraged from getting into the business..

Why are some members so insistant on discouraging those who want to take part in this business. Is your work so marginal in quality that anyone with a vinyl cutter can steal your business? If you're offering customer service and a quality product at a competitive price, what the heck is the deal! It's a Newbie forum, help the newbie do it right the first time and you don't have to worry about someone offering an inferior product and giving the industry a bad rep because he asked for help and received nothing but grief from his peers in the industry.

:help:

This doesn't apply to most folks here. But as they say, If the shoe fits, wear it!

Of my soap box.

Go ahead and bash me, I have thick skin and can take it.

Shovelhead

I'm still trying to figure out the mentality here at times.

It's a newbie forum.. In fact here's the header.

Newbie Forum New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Read through here first.

No where in the forum header does it say: Come here to get bashed and discouraged from getting into the business..

Why are some members so insistant on discouraging those who want to take part in this business. Is your work so marginal in quality that anyone with a vinyl cutter can steal your business? If you're offering customer service and a quality product at a competitive price, what the heck is the deal! It's a Newbie forum, help the newbie do it right the first time and you don't have to worry about someone offering an inferior product and giving the industry a bad rep because he asked for help and received nothing but grief from his peers in the industry.

:help:

This doesn't apply to most folks here. But as they say, If the shoe fits, wear it!

Of my soap box.

Go ahead and bash me, I have thick skin and can take it.

That description should be changed to:

Newbie Forum: "Did you just get a job at a sign company and know absolutely nothing about the business"?,"well this is the place for you".

Doyle

Newbies should be required to browse at least 100 topics at the forum before they make their first post....... they would then know better than to post the "I just got my plotter on ebay and was wondering....." topics, which always raise a ruckus

THATgirl

I have to agree with redrubi. None of us popped out knowing it all right from the beginning. There are a lot of helpful people on this site and there are a few who love to put themselves up higher than all. If someone new comes along and constantly asks for things they can do for themselves, don't answer the post, or tell them to try to figure it out on their own and then come back and say how it worked out.