• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just took the plunge and purchased a new shop

jhd

I just purchased a building after 6 years in the business and just started remodeling/renovation of the 1930's brick/mortar building. In its past life it was a lincoln/mercury dealership, a furniture store and a carpet store.

Some of the features will be a 24' x 56' installation bay with a 14ft door - open concept office/showroom area 18' x 56' - 28' x 20' open production room - foyer area for clients to come and go as they please to pick-up projects during business hours.

I'm currently a one-man shop and I'm looking for ideas/thoughts on making life/work flow a bit easier that I can incorporate into the overall design during the construction phase. Maybe its how you store your media or configure your machines, production tables or office area......any feedback/pictures would be great and thanks in advance.

SignManiac

I suggest tapping into the search function feature of this site. Tons of shop photos and ideas to get you started.

Last edited:

TammieH

Why have more square footage for office/showroom than production? Unless you are using the office space for computers, plotters and printers...etc

SignManiac

I don't like typing long worded responses on an iPad. Besides, there really is a wealth of info to be dug up. I'm sure him/her (keeping it pc), will end up finding more than they expected.

klemgraphics

thats one heck of a big shop for 1 guy. hope it suites you well. good luck
Doesn't matter how big, you will always seem to run out of room. I'm in the process of re-arranging my whole shop at the moment just so I can fit everything in and hopefully have enough space to keep my sanity.

Congrats & good luck!

phototec

I'm currently a one-man shop and I'm looking for ideas/thoughts on making life/work flow a bit easier that I can incorporate into the overall design during the construction phase. Maybe its how you store your media or configure your machines, production tables or office area......any feedback/pictures would be great and thanks in advance.

Hey, how about you posting photos of the different areas, and the layout of the current building, that way folks on here can help you.

Without seeing photos of what there is to work with, it's like driving in the dark without headlights!

Show us what you got to start with, and any rough ideas you have.

:help

phototec

I suggest tapping into the search function feature of this site. Tons of shop photos and ideas to get you started.

I think the SEARCH FUNCTION on this site is lousy, I have talked to Fred about this many times.

I just searched Signs101 for PRODUCTION TABLE, and you can see in the screen capture (below), the results I got, just pitiful, nothing even close.

Then I did a Google search for PRODUCTION TABLE, and you can see in the second screen capture, results are related to PRODUCTION TABLES.

Maybe I don't know the secret, but the Signs101 search function hasn't worked well for me.

:frustrated:

Attachments

• Production Table.jpg
    Production Table.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 118
  • Google - Production Table.jpg
    Google - Production Table.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 78

weaselboogie

I've got a 3 section shop too. My upstairs is the design, vinyl. I do light production on aluminum and other flat substrate. Downstairs is my workshop. Lots of tools and things tend to get pretty messy and anything 3d usually is produced here. My third section is a 16ft bay where I do installs and is a spillover from the workshop if I'm doing anything large scale.

I'd suggest laying out a floorplan to scale to get a good idea of your workflow.

MatthewTimothy

I think the SEARCH FUNCTION on this site is lousy, I have talked to Fred about this many times.

I just searched Signs101 for PRODUCTION TABLE, and you can see in the screen capture (below), the results I got, just pitiful, nothing even close.

Then I did a Google search for PRODUCTION TABLE, and you can see in the second screen capture, results are related to PRODUCTION TABLES.

Maybe I don't know the secret, but the Signs101 search function hasn't worked well for me.

:frustrated:

I agree, I just typed in shop photos and nothing even close came up, from my iPad

signswi

Sounds like you're going to need another 3-4 employees and a sales guy. We had an architect draw out plans for a shop with a similar footprint but I'm uncomfortable posting the images online, show your space and we'll all be happy to give you feedback.

Billct2

The problems with the search function have been discussed, as recently as last week.
It is a limit of the web program, not something that can be changed.
The work around is to start your search in Google and search like this "Signs101.com production table"

Jillbeans

That sounds really cool.
Make sure to add a killer showroom with examples of your work.
Good luck to you.
Love....Jill

royster13

site:signs101.com will limit results to this forum only......Without the site: you can still get links listed on other sites....

signswi

site:signs101.com will limit results to this forum only......Without the site: you can still get links listed on other sites....

This, vB's search function is terrible just use the Google site search parameter as quoted. Note that it won't pick up non-public forum results.