• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate by varnish?

messmedia

So, since this forum has been really helpfull with my decision to buy a Roland, I have one more question, and it is about lamination:

I know it can be done with some sort of varnish for lamination, (don't know if varnish is correct english word for it), that is applied to a print with a brush or painting roll. Since it looks cheaper than buying a laminator (since I don't really know how much I will need lamination???), how good is it?

Does Eco-sol max do well with this type of lamination (does it smudge or fade the colors), and does it make the prints significatly more durable?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While varnish will make your prints last longer.... it will also burn them [turn them yellow-y] and become brittle. Varnish is not for digital media..... it's more for wood products and is a main ingredient in old paints.

You want to check into Clear Shield, Frog Juice and other liquid over-lams.

DRPSignsNGrafix

Clearshield works great as does Frog Juice. I use Frog Juice spray can's for small stuff. And if i need to brush or roll or spray it on i use ClearShield.

anotherdog

how durable is liquid lam compared to cold rolled lam?
Sometimes with a really difficult wrap I think it would be easier with a thinner layer of lam?

messmedia

I found a dealer for clear shield in my neighbour-country (which is a big deal, actually, in this small country), so the question of ANOTHERDOG remains - how durable is it compared to hot/cold lamination?
On clear shield site there is no estimation of longevity of lamination, though, there is assurance about not yellowing, being detergent-resistant, etc.