• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator gone crazy need help

petit

Hy my Excelam Q 1200 laminator gone crazy tonight has kept working at high speed suddenly and now refuse to lower the speed. It as always worked well but now is set to high speed without any changes done with buttons. Can any one have had this issue or where should i look inside the machine to fixed the problem?

Regards

Mike

FrankW

What happens when you put something in the light barrier in front of the rolls (preferably not the fingers)?

petit

The problem is the speed that can not been set, all functions included start/stop/reverse work.
here some picts, don't know if it can help

1641756843022.jpg
1641756822757.jpg

Steenland

Old Member
I suspect your speed control potentiometer may need to be cleaned or replaced. It's the round thing underneath the speed control dial with the three electrical connectors. I've had to do this with my laminators.

On your machine, it looks like the potentiometer is soldered to the control board, so you may need to replace the whole board. Try cleaning it first, if you can get into it. (Make sure you disconnect power to the machine first.)

Have you checked to make sure your foot pedal isn't stuck down?

netsol

there is probably a shorted power transistor, triac or that sort of thing. (the devices attached to the heat sinks)
if you have never done this sort of thing, try to buy a board, or take the board to someone with an electronic background

i used to say take it to a tv shop, but that just shows my age.

petit

there is probably a shorted power transistor, triac or that sort of thing. (the devices attached to the heat sinks)
if you have never done this sort of thing, try to buy a board, or take the board to someone with an electronic background

i used to say take it to a tv shop, but that just shows my age.
I suspect your speed control potentiometer may need to be cleaned or replaced. It's the round thing underneath the speed control dial with the three electrical connectors. I've had to do this with my laminators.

On your machine, it looks like the potentiometer is soldered to the control board, so you may need to replace the whole board. Try cleaning it first, if you can get into it. (Make sure you disconnect power to the machine first.)

Have you checked to make sure your foot pedal isn't stuck down?
Ok thanks, i suspect the board underneath the speed control dial as i've faced problems with the stop button this last week, i had to push it hard to make the laminator stop. I'll try to clean it tomorrow and see if it make any change.
@nestol you are probably talking about a board on the back of the machine, i'll try to find someone who repairs electronics board but it may be quit hard to find in those days. If you can help me out with the pictures i've sent please do.
I'll first try to clean the little board tomorrow and then will look further else.

petit

About the pedal, it only control the start not the speed, even if it was stuck it would not interfere into the speed of the laminator

Steenland

Old Member
Ok thanks, i suspect the board underneath the speed control dial as i've faced problems with the stop button this last week, i had to push it hard to make the laminator stop.
Since you've had other problems with the controls, perhaps the problem could be with the ribbon cable that connects to that board.

petit

Since you've had other problems with the controls, perhaps the problem could be with the ribbon cable that connects to that board.
You mean this one? i've checked the connections of the cables throught the plug and the connection to the board itself and it seems ok, what do you mean?
IMG_2022009_201514.jpg

Steenland

Old Member
You mean this one? i've checked the connections of the cables throught the plug and the connection to the board itself and it seems ok, what do you mean?
Yes. Since you're having problems with other buttons besides the speed control, the problem is probably not with the potentiometer but with the board, or possibly with the cable that connects the board to the works.

petit

Yes. Since you're having problems with other buttons besides the speed control, the problem is probably not with the potentiometer but with the board, or possibly with the cable that connects the board to the works.
ok, i can't see how the cables could be defect as they are not cut or out of the plug, all wires seems at their place. if you have another idea please tell me.

Last edited:
Hy my Excelam Q 1200 laminator gone crazy tonight has kept working at high speed suddenly and now refuse to lower the speed. It as always worked well but now is set to high speed without any changes done with buttons. Can any one have had this issue or where should i look inside the machine to fixed the problem?

Regards

Mike
I had a similar problem. Replaced the control board with the speed controller on it and it solved the problem.
Scott