• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Landscape Logo input

Scotchbrite

No comment
Outlines, generally, compromise legibility.

Most good logo designs have neither outlines nor shades. Nor gradients, for that matter.
Overlapping elements and lettering can also compromise legibility on a logo, though these things they may look good on a sign layout or a print ad.

A logo should be extremely legible. It should be highly recognizable, even at a distance, and easy to remember. Simple is usually better, but not a requirement. One of the Pentagram designers in NYC once said, "Can you sketch the logo from memory?" He said that's a good thing.
A logo that creates a distinctive silhouette can be effective, which is why I lean away from all caps, though that's not a strict rule. If the top word is upper and lower, not only does it create a distinctive silhouette, but it may also create pockets of negative space that maybe can accommodate the leaf graphic better.

Many of us sign goobers, including me, tend to try too hard to put too much into a logo design (Rob Janoff said this long before I did). We try to achieve a "wow" factor that is unnecessary in logo design. Designing in black and white can help combat that. Color can always be added later. And a B&W version is often needed anyway for single color applications. I also like to create a horizontal version and a vertical, or more vertical, version.

Also—while I'm pontificating—a logo design does not need to "tell a story" or tell what a business does for a living. This is a misconception. A logo does not need to be a design that is a "customer magnet," or convert sales. A logo is is strictly for identity. What makes a successful logo is not so much about the design as it is about effective marketing and advertising of the brand. Generally, a logo does not make a company look good. It's the other way around (Paul Rand said this before I did).

A logo is important, to be sure. But a "great" logo will not save a failing company, nor will a "weak" logo cause a well-marketed company to fail. Logos don't have that much power.

Logo design can be harder than it looks. Most of us sign makers, including me, are not good at it. We struggle, and tend to fall back on embellishments. We add, when often we should be removing. Our logo creations often look like signs rather than logos (not surprisingly).

I know how negative this post must sound. But ineffective design, not just in logos, but in general, is the BIG WEAKNESS in the sign industry.

I like the same version that Gino said is the easiest to read. It looks more like a real logo than the other two. I would start with that and tweak from there.

Brad
Your points about sign people designing logos is why I tell customers "I'll design a sign for you and if you want to use it as a logo, that's up to you". A lot of times a logo and a sign are not the same thing.

On a sign, I would rather put more emphasis on the word "landscaping" than I would "Beyond". I think it's more important people know what you do versus who you are.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's where we differ. With 17,482 landscapers in your city and nearby locations, it's more important they remember the name, so they can google ya or look ya up whatever method they want. If someone is in the market for a landscaper, plumber or window replacement guy, they'll know instantly what you do. It's getting that call that counts...... who was that masked man ??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
There's where we differ. With 17,482 landscapers in your city and nearby locations, it's more important they remember the name, so they can google ya or look ya up whatever method they want. If someone is in the market for a landscaper, plumber or window replacement guy, they'll know instantly what you do. It's getting that call that counts...... who was that masked man ??
This is my thought too. The emphasis should be more on the name than the service.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Yeah, but if all I read on your trailer driving by at 65mph is "Beyond", how do I know you're an option for landscaping? I'm being a bit argumentative, but I don't like the idea of making "Landscaping" too small and easily missed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your point #22 was that you will do a better job, than the customer or most designers, but I disagree with your first rule. That's all, I disagree. :toasting:

If someone is designing a logo, be it for a company and taking in all the possible ways to use it, they will be sure any viewer will know you and know what you do at the same time. No one is gonna give out their name and let the viewers guess about secondary or tertiary copy. Pictures, gimmicks and effects will all play a part. The trick is, not to overplay any of them, but if you do, make it their name. In this case BEYOND LANDSCAPING. Phone numbers, address, websites, free estimates, fully insured and all that other garbage like laundry lists and crap can go on the under chassis for all I care. Don't forget to put the drivers name in script on the front door.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
LLC, Inc, Corp, TM, R and all those other things, only hafta be on legal documents, like letterheads, invoices, newspaper/magazine advertisements, statements, checks and I don't know about business cards. Trucks, signs and other forms of small advertisements out in the field do not need it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
LLC, Inc, Corp, TM, R and all those other things, only hafta be on legal documents, like letterheads, invoices, newspaper/magazine advertisements, statements, checks and I don't know about business cards. Trucks, signs and other forms of small advertisements out in the field do not need it.
THANK YOU. That's a huge pet peeve of mine when I see companies incorporate that into their logo designs. It's a waste of space and distracts away from what should be the main focus....the company NAME.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Gino, White Haus. I see your point and raise you this.
inc mag.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't say don't use it, I said it's not legally needed. Some companies want to show off and plaster that stuff everywhere. Go ahead, I don't give a rat's behind. Banks, lawyers and other uppity people are all asinine about lotsa things.

Stacey K

I like making signs
So, I have to tell you, my son was here on off block yesterday and I had him read everything on this post and we discussed all the advice afterwards and I will play around more this weekend. My family hears me talk about many of you so he knows your code names...if you have teen boys, you know they "skim" as they read...they don't really read...here's his reactions to the thread:

#2 Gino: (in a deep voice) "Hey! It's Giiiiiino! The garden guy!"
#4 Boudica: "Isn't that your friend? What's up with that collar...is she one of those..."
#5 Notareal: "What's wrong with that guy?" (referring to the bottom comment)
#10 JBurton: "Yup, I agree, that is really bad, I thought it looked like Bed, Bath and Beyond too"
#11 Texas: "OMG - for real mom, that Burton guy killed himself last week? OMG, that's terrible!"
#14 Notareal: "Seriously, what's wrong with that guy?" (referring to what kind of crap are you making over there)
Signbrad and RJ - "Solid advice, they seem very smart"

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Get y'alls priorities straight. Yes the name is important, sure, but even better, try to acquire the 1-800-LANDSCAPE (people won't even notice it's too many numbers!)

I can say there are certain banks who will not pay for a sign unless it has the trademark symbol on it... Tried to sneak one by, it was caught before I was off site, I think they have a short checklist and that is top of the list. I do know with certainty that for an FDIC insured bank, a bank that has changed names may not open with the old name present anywhere on the building. Including plaques, name plates, and all freestanding signage. Makes for some very profitable weekend work trying to cover up 14 banks between Friday at 5 and Monday at 8.
That's going to be my weekend in a few weeks.:D

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, I have to tell you, my son was here on off block yesterday and I had him read everything on this post and we discussed all the advice afterwards and I will play around more this weekend. My family hears me talk about many of you so he knows your code names...if you have teen boys, you know they "skim" as they read...they don't really read...here's his reactions to the thread:

#2 Gino: (in a deep voice) "Hey! It's Giiiiiino! The garden guy!"
#4 Boudica: "Isn't that your friend? What's up with that collar...is she one of those..."
#5 Notareal: "What's wrong with that guy?" (referring to the bottom comment)
#10 JBurton: "Yup, I agree, that is really bad, I thought it looked like Bed, Bath and Beyond too"
#11 Texas: "OMG - for real mom, that Burton guy killed himself last week? OMG, that's terrible!"
#14 Notareal: "Seriously, what's wrong with that guy?" (referring to what kind of crap are you making over there)
Signbrad and RJ - "Solid advice, they seem very smart"
Did you tell him my current avatar is from your post about the weird job seeker?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, now ya hafta blame someone else for that thing ?? I always get a kick outta people who do something (weird) and it makes sense at the moment, but two days later, nobody remembers it and they forget to get back to some form of normalcy.