• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large banner help 4 ft x 20 ft

D&D Graphx

D&D Graphx Modesto, CA
I am trying to create and print two 4' x 20' banners in photo shop and the file is way to large can anyone help. The back ground it green and the letters we are doing have a rock look with beveled edge. The banners just has 1000 running horizontally its a easy banner but takes to long to save only one number. I have tried it all the way down to 150 dpi. I never printed anything lower the 300dpi will it look bad. The other banner same way but 4 times the info on it.

TheSnowman

Wow, that stinks. Can you do anything vector by any chance? I assume you've thought of that, but just in case. That's my only info.

Tim Aucoin

Similar situation here... I'm doing a dozen banners 3' x 12'... customer designed in Photoshop. What she did was design them at 300dpi, but sized them in Photoshop to 1/4 scale (9" x 36"). I then simply scale them up when I print them and have no problems. The smaller Photoshop page size makes it easier to work with and save.

petepaz

Knock the resolution down to 75dpi, it'll print fine.

ditto
it's been my experience that something that size doesn't have to be more that 150 or 75 dpi
also did you try flattening the file or save it as a jpg
(if you don't have to alter it in illust. just save it as a jpg)

Flame

I hate to ask, but why are you in photoshop? I don't get why people design in photoshop...

(yes, I'll admit I'm grumpy today...).

Can it be pulled off with a better program, illustrator, corel,freehand, flexi... vectors?

Depending on the viewing distance, yes, lower DPI will work pretty good too at keeping the file size small.

D&D Graphx

D&D Graphx Modesto, CA
I do use flexi 8.5 but I cant get the Custom rock look and beveled edge and shadow that I can in photoshop. If you you can please share. I can mask the rock look I want in flexi but thats it. The customer wants it to look like its been cut out of stone. I have what I need in photoshop I will try a lower dpi.

Thanks again

Letterbox Mike

I hate to ask, but why are you in photoshop? I don't get why people design in photoshop...

(yes, I'll admit I'm grumpy today...).

Can it be pulled off with a better program, illustrator, corel,freehand, flexi... vectors?

Depending on the viewing distance, yes, lower DPI will work pretty good too at keeping the file size small.

You might want to learn photoshop then, there are things you just cannot do in any other program, at least do as well. Photoshop is an extremely powerful design program if used correctly.

jiarby

Photo shop is the best design tool for designers. learn it use and you will be amazed.

LOL!

Designers OF WHAT??

Illustrator is the best tool for some jobs.
Sometimes Photoshop.
Sometimes a mix.

When the only tool on your belt is a hammer, then every job gets treated like a nail.

Same with alleged designers. If all you know how to use is PS then you end up looking stupid because you are trying to make a 48"x240" bitmap at 300dpi. What'll that be, about a 25gb file!

Learn how to put more tools in your belt, then grab the right one for the job.

thewood

Depending on how much of the banner is taken up by the text, you may be able to reduce file size by bringing the PS file into Flexi, masking it and using vectors for all other portions of the banner. I use this method quite a bit.

Photo shop is the best design tool for designers. learn it use and you will be amazed.

That's a pretty bold statement. Photoshop is a fantastic and powerful program, but it is not always the "best" for every instance. What about for logo design? You can always take a vector logo back into PS and add all sorts of tacky effects. But it's not as easy to take a raster logo in PS and convert it to a vector image. Then again, judging by some of the files that come across my desk, you are probably in the majority.

wes70

Am I the only one that doesn't use PS?

Everything that I've ever needed to do, I did in coreldraw / photopaint. Have for the past 15 years!

synergy_jim

designing a banner that size at anything higher that 100 dpi is overkill. You will see no noticeable difference in print quality from a 300 dpi to a 100 dpi file.

synergy_jim

LOL!

Designers OF WHAT??

Illustrator is the best tool for some jobs.
Sometimes Photoshop.
Sometimes a mix.

When the only tool on your belt is a hammer, then every job gets treated like a nail.

Same with alleged designers. If all you know how to use is PS then you end up looking stupid because you are trying to make a 48"x240" bitmap at 300dpi. What'll that be, about a 25gb file!

Learn how to put more tools in your belt, then grab the right one for the job.

I second that.....