• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layered vinyl on desk with no tape

Hiks

I've been seeing a lot of this type of stuff and it would come in useful for some of the things we do so I just wondered if anyone knows the process used to layer vinyl before taping?

Attachments

• layered.jpg
    layered.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 444

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Makes no sense to remove the application tape *if* this was layered as you claim. You'd just have to mask it up all over again to apply.
That said, you could try a low tack app tape which you could try to pull back off to achieve this.

Hiks

I'm not claiming the app tape has been removed, I'm wondering if there is a process that allows vinyl to be layered on a desk without tape.

I've placed small pieces by hand, but nothing large and letters would be certainly more tricky. I don't know.

Another example...

Attachments

• layered1.jpg
    layered1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 293

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wouldn't be tape/mask free but you could premask it just once depending on the balance of colors in the layout.
From the sample - set a registration cut border for the largest color (blue).
Use the same registration box for the orange.
Tape the blue to the table.
Mask and cut the orange to the box.
Lay the masked orange on top of the blue - line up the box for registration and tape one edge down.
Lift up and pull off the orange backer and squeegee it down on the blue.
Cut the blue to the border - ready to install.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The only way we do it is to cut both colors with registration marks, then use tabs of scotch tape on registration marks to hold down second color, then premask all together.

Stacey K

I like making signs
IMO the only reason you would want to remove the masking is to take a photo for selling purposes or for FB post or something - which I've done to take photos to show off the decal on my FB post.

I've done some decals with multiple color's and I just used a low tack masking and carefully removed it. The last layer I put on sometimes is large enough to cover the entire decal or I slap another layer of masking on. Sometimes I use clear then when all the layers are on I add the final transfer tape.

rjssigns

Would need to have perfectly accurate registration but it could be done. Process would also waste material to make it fast for registering against a fixed point.
Light table with edge for registering/squaring.
Large piece of transfer tape hinged on left side. Transfer tape I used to use would let go with a little mist of water.
Register first color.
Squeegee transfer tape.
Flip tape back over itself, remove liner.
Lather
Rinse
Repeat.

Honestly though I would just print, lam, cut. My printer with the DX7 head prints solids that mimic cast vinyl.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
mask the orange, cut/weed the blue, mask and trim to the edge of the orange to see it better, peel a little backer off the left side, eyeball it, start one side and work it down them make the whole thing. The only reason I could possibly see for doing this is to ship out RTA decals. If you are just putting these on, this is a waste of time. Put the blue on, wet the orange and eyeball it into place.

ikarasu

We do 10 FT multi layer decals for airplanes all the time.

You make a registration box.... Cut every color, then just use the registration box to layer it with a rolls roller table. Then you're only using 1 sheet of premask... but you still need pre-mask. You can remove it after for photos or something... but theres no way to make a layered decal with no premask, unless you're doing each color / piece 1 by 1.... But thats like saying you can decal a boat without premask. Sure, it can be done... but why bother?

Billct2

I don't think they want to end up with no pre-mask, they just want to know how do you layer before masking.

signheremd

I would expect the customer would need application tape to keep everything pre-spaced, but if you want to go to some trouble, you could cut out some of the blue and use a roller to apply some orange before putting it in your plotter to cut - your math would have to be good so everything is positioned correctly. But we print all the time and when we weed that is what it looks like before masking. We also combine colors for customers using one layer of application tape (you can make this work for several colors). Others have outlined how to do this. But if you used medium tack or light tack application tape, you can pull it back off by keeping it at 180 degrees, moving on a diagonal to the lettering, and using one hand to keep the vinyl down.