• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Lease or Buy

Do you buy your printers (or other machines) or lease them?

• Lease

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Buy

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

K2

So I have generally just bought my printers in the past but now I am wondering if it would be best just to lease so I can stay up to date with the latest technology and get out of the world of repairing it for the most part. I was wondering what is it that most of you are doing? Any advise would be appreciated.

Billct2

Mt first few I leased to own, with a $1 buy out at the end. last couple I purchased outright with a maintenance contract included. Both ways have worked

Last edited:

Sindex Printing

I lease with a $1 buyout or a straight conventional equipment loan. It does depend on a couple factors. The main one is the lease rate factor and if you have intentions of paying the equipment off early I would go with a loan.

I have always felt having the cash available is better than having equipment payments especially with supply chain and deals with other businesses closing their doors

ikarasu

Personally... I'd buy outright, then buy the extended warranty. Latex is something like 2-3K A year... Epson I was just quoted $2000 a year for the R500, $2500 for the R500 with cheap $500 heads replacements. Can purchase up to 5 years on the Epson... so I usually bake in the extended.

$20K for the printer, 12.5K For the warranty - so for $32.5K You can have a top of the line printer that just came out, all parts / repairs expedited for 6 years... Thats roughly $5500 a year for a printer - Lease payments are probably just as high. Sell it for 10-15K after the 5 years, and buy the "Newest" model...and repeat. When you lease you still have to worry about maintenance / repairs.... This way you don't have to really, Grimco has always flown the part we need out next day and fixed it next day for us.... I think we were down for a week once because a part was backordered.... other than that, its been great.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We generally lease most of our equipment (w/ $1 buyout) for 48 months.

We did get a loan for a printer a couple years back but the variable interest rate hasn't worked in our favor. It is however open-ended and can be paid off anytime so at least there's that.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
As Notarealsignguy said, the concept of "Lease" or "Buy" is not really the right question to ask. (I don't mean to offend the OP with that statement, I will explain)

The question you need to ask is what makes the most sense financially after you gather all the information.

First, a loan or a lease are not really that different. A company like Geneva Capital will allow you to "Lease" anything your bank would loan you money for in this business. You can almost always get either one you choose.

For a fairly complete list of all the cost factors you need to consider, please see my blog post about this very topic:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We often find that to be the case as well, but they are often less flexible than a leasing company when it comes to terms and down payment.

Signscorp

There's also how these look on your books. If you're looking to sell your shop anytime in the next couple years, then buying outright, or with a loan is MUCH better than leasing. A lease shows up as a regular expense, where buying the machine outright won't affect your income.

Since shops are bought as a multiple of income, this gets you a higher price if you want to sell.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
There's also how these look on your books. If you're looking to sell your shop anytime in the next couple years, then buying outright, or with a loan is MUCH better than leasing. A lease shows up as a regular expense, where buying the machine outright won't affect your income.

Since shops are bought as a multiple of income, this gets you a higher price if you want to sell.
or if you are trying to borrow money, a lease makes your balance sheet look better

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I bought all of my equipment through a lease program. I am done paying my printer off and it still works like a champ. I've had a few issues, but nothing that wasn't completely fixable. I have my laminator paid off in 2 months. That is completely worth it. And I just bought a new plotter. All of these items have been a great deal for me to lease and pay off at the end. Good sound equipment that just keeps running. I am very pleased with my purchases through leasing. I have a friend who owns a business that uses a roland printer. she is on a continuous lease program and thats what works for her. She just trades in at the end of three years and upgrades every 3 years when the lease is up. Do what makes sense to you.

rjssigns

Opportunity costs. This aspect is rarely talked about and is a necessary component when deciding to lease or purchase capital goods.
Simple explanation when buying something outright. What didn't you get to get what ya got?

Leasing: In base terms will generally allow you to get something better than you would otherwise be able to afford.
Vehicles are a prime example of this and why leasing is an attractive option.

Key to it all: Correctly leveraging your existing money supply and/or the ability to obtain financing for capital goods.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Opportunity costs. This aspect is rarely talked about and is a necessary component when deciding to lease or purchase capital goods.
Simple explanation when buying something outright. What didn't you get to get what ya got?

Leasing: In base terms will generally allow you to get something better than you would otherwise be able to afford.
Vehicles are a prime example of this and why leasing is an attractive option.

Key to it all: Correctly leveraging your existing money supply and/or the ability to obtain financing for capital goods.
THIS RIGHT HERE!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
technically on a vehicle lease you are paying exactly what it is worth. The auto manufacturers make a gamble on the residual value and you finance the depreciation plus interest. If the car is worth more at the end then you lost out, if it is the same then you basically just rented a car, if it is lower then you made out. Most equipment leases are just financing by a different name, a capital lease. With low interest rates and high residuals, operating leases generally don't make a bunch of sense in my eyes. Usually though, when interest is low, residuals are low but times are strange right now.

victor bogdanov

With the current inflation leasing, especially with $1 buyout could be better, lock in the payment and it a couple of years you're paying the same payment with a devalued dollar.

I've always purchased cash but my recent printer purchase was 0% interest, $1 buyout lease so why not. Flatbed also leased as the financial charge was under $1k, $1 buyout. Over 5 years that $1k interest charge will be eaten up by inflation so same or better than cash

Also the machines paid for themselves before my first payments were due, I had 100k sqft printed before paying a penny for the machine