• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Left magenta keeps firing all the time - fautly test print!!!

woidstyle

Hi guys, can you please help me with looking at the photo attached. During test print the left magenta keeps on firing all the time. Anyone knows this problem?

Attachments

• 20201003_190520.jpg
    20201003_190520.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 241

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Which printer model? This is typically caused by a head ribbon cable being either damaged or not inserted correctly, causing the head to go into a "free firing" mode. Based on your previous posts, I would recheck the traces on the ribbons to insure there is no damage to them. You said you removed the printhead for cleaning. You typically only remove a printhead when replacing it. What did you do as part of this cleaning? Please be very specific about this step, as this will help in diagnosing your problem.

woidstyle

Which printer model? This is typically caused by a head ribbon cable being either damaged or not inserted correctly, causing the head to go into a "free firing" mode. Based on your previous posts, I would recheck the traces on the ribbons to insure there is no damage to them. You said you removed the printhead for cleaning. You typically only remove a printhead when replacing it. What did you do as part of this cleaning? Please be very specific about this step, as this will help in diagnosing your problem.

I built out the printhead and flushed it. I then connected again the cables and that's what it is right now. Before I had an 205 47v printhead error. I replaced the f13 fuse then it started booting again but now I have this problem..

woidstyle

Printer model is CJV30-160

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
As I said before, recheck the condition of the head ribbons. If they are ok, it is possible the head is damaged.

woidstyle

As I said before, recheck the condition of the head ribbons. If they are ok, it is possible the head is damaged.
Thanks for your feedback. Just a visual control of the cables? They are quite new so I am not sure if it is the cable. See here a video of the test print as well as it keeps firing! May there be a problem with the capping station as some say it is the damper and some it is the capping station!

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
What was the reason for removing and flushing the head? How did you flush the head? Printheads are not typically removed for cleaning and flushing. They are very fragile internally and it is easy to damage them by flushing with too much pressure. In your case, the wrong ribbons initially installed may have also damaged the head. My suggestion is brand new ribbons and a new head. Caps and dampers have absolutely nothing to do with your issue. This is an electronic issue.

woidstyle

I just wanted to clean the print head properly. I will now try with new cables and if this does not work the only chance will be the print head..

MikePro

+1 to above suggestion that this is a data issue.

if this happened after removing & flushing the head, chances are that you got fluid into the ribbon cable slot and your data connections are jumping....meaning replacement head may be necessary. I would start by swapping the cables between different color channels first to see if the problem travels with it, or simply replacing the cables with new ones, before resorting to expensive printhead replacement as your final option.

edited to add: that if my above diagnosis is true, I have restored a printhead before with the same issue by inserting & removing multiple pieces of paper card stock (no coatings or pigments) into the ribbon cable slot to "clean" the delicate pins. I've also failed at the same process by being too aggressive with the cleaning and mangling the pins while trying to remove bits of torn paper. Its a last-ditch effort to salvage a printhead, but it works....and could easily not-work as well :)

Last edited:

netsol

Premium Subscriber
What was the reason for removing and flushing the head? How did you flush the head? Printheads are not typically removed for cleaning and flushing. They are very fragile internally and it is easy to damage them by flushing with too much pressure. In your case, the wrong ribbons initially installed may have also damaged the head. My suggestion is brand new ribbons and a new head. Caps and dampers have absolutely nothing to do with your issue. This is an electronic issue.

Jim
i imagine "how did you flush the head?" is the $64,000 question

i would suggest switching the cables between 2 heads as a test, but i don't want to contribute to making a bad situation worse

netsol

Premium Subscriber
+1 to above suggestion that this is a data issue.

if this happened after removing & flushing the head, chances are that you got fluid into the ribbon cable slot and your data connections are jumping....meaning replacement head may be necessary. I would start by swapping the cables between different color channels first to see if the problem travels with it, or simply replacing the cables with new ones, before resorting to expensive printhead replacement as your final option.

edited to add: that if my above diagnosis is true, I have restored a printhead before with the same issue by inserting & removing multiple pieces of paper card stock (no coatings or pigments) into the ribbon cable slot to "clean" the delicate pins. I've also failed at the same process by being too aggressive with the cleaning and mangling the pins while trying to remove bits of torn paper. Its a last-ditch effort to salvage a printhead, but it works....and could easily not-work as well :)

Mike, i hope you are right. there are "zero residue contact cleaner" (s) on the market that can be used to clean the connectors

if it were mine, i would have no fear of cleaning with isopropyl AS LONG AS YOU WAIT TWICE AS LONG AS YOU THINK IS NECESSARY FOR IT TO DRY before reconnecting. personally,, i have seen this caused more often by defective printhead than a ribbon cable issue, but i may have been exposed to a bad sample of printheads

woidstyle

Mike, i hope you are right. there are "zero residue contact cleaner" (s) on the market that can be used to clean the connectors

if it were mine, i would have no fear of cleaning with isopropyl AS LONG AS YOU WAIT TWICE AS LONG AS YOU THINK IS NECESSARY FOR IT TO DRY before reconnecting. personally,, i have seen this caused more often by defective printhead than a ribbon cable issue, but i may have been exposed to a bad sample of printheads

Hey everyone thanks for your helpful advise.i now have ordered new cables in order to try changing the cable. Maybe it helps. There is a spray here in Germany for cleaning contacts and electronic boards. Maybe I can use this and spray it on the connectors of the ribbons. And let it try of course..

netsol

Premium Subscriber
woudtyle

spray some on your fingers, it should not feel greasy

in a perfect world, the finger tips should be whitish, where skin oils have been washed away