• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lesson learned... deal with the boss...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Well, I learned a lesson yesterday/today...

I got a call from one of theach local pubs late yesterday, and the young lady asked if I was available to create a couple of small signs, and she made it sound urgent. She explained that she needed a sign saying that no alcoholic beverages beyond this point, so her customers didn't take them outside , and the pub getting in trouble.

So I see the opportunity to earn a new customer. My wife was planning on going to her mom's house and I could slip by, and possibly make the sale...so I tell her that I could be there in an hour...(mistake #1)

So I go in, meet with her, and she explains what she wants. More or less, it's (4) 8"×10", 3 colors. One of the first questions that I ask her is does she have a logo supplied by her sign company in vector format. She , of course didn't understand, and asked if she has a computer file with the extension pdf. She said she could give me that... I figure the cost, and add a small bump to it, and I quote it at $180. She said, great, and said that she would email the logo to me right then. I'm standing beside her, she grabs a gift card, places it on the scanner, and begins to scan and send as a pdf... (oh, s&×>, it begins). I asked her about the vector, and she said that is how she would supply the pdf. I explained that it won't work, and unless she had a use able file, there would be an art charge of $150.

She said ok, and would I supply a receipt. I explained that I would send a quote first, and then supply the art. She said ok...go for it. I told her that I could install the next morning by 10:30, when I got art approval.

I get home, send the quote, and she replied with "do you have any art yet? I told her that I would get it to her that night. I emailed it to her at 9:30, and went to bed...

Got up at 6 (normal time for me) and went to check for the art approval. Nothing. I texted her at 7:30, checking on it, and she replied back with she sent it to the boss, and he would give me the approval.

So I guess she got told the price was too high, so my verbal approval to proceed don't mean anything. So the time I spent creating art for a customer that was in a flying damn hurry is for nothing...

Oh well, out to paint the MDO for my paying customer.

ams

pdf's can be vector and those work just fine. Only if it's a raster to begin with that it can't.

TheSnowman

Had a guy last week that basically did the same thing to me. Was in a huge hurry (which I always a red flag) only I had zero history with this guy and didn't trust him because he said no other company's would call him back, so I told him he had to pay up front. He said "if you don't show me what the design is before I pay you, you will have my money, and there's no guarantee I'll have a design I like"...so I informed him I had no guarantee he'd pay me either, and since he was in such a huge hurry, this is my policy. I ended up firing the guy, and we went our seperate ways, but whenever anyone is in a hurry, it generally shakes down like that for me. Maybe 1 in 10 will work out w/o any drama from them. There's a reason it's a last minute thing...they aren't on top of things enough for it to not be.

Marlene

the question I have is why on earth did you go to site for (4) 8" x 10" signs?????? that was your real mistake

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since nothing came of this, can we see what the proofs looked like ?? Honestly, I'd like to see what 4pcs 8" x 10" signs look like for $330.00
Was gilding involved......lol ??​

Baz

Yeah .. The 150.00$ art charge was what put it over the top.

Assuming you have a digital printer ...

I wouldn't have given a price for the logo. I would have simply stated:
- The best artwork is in vector format. You obviously do not have it in that format. And for me to convert it for you would cost X amount of dollars which is to much
for this type of job. I can however just take a picture with your smart phone and slap it on the layout.

At that size of sign. It would have come out just fine.

Kottwitz-Graphics

The signs were multi color because the customer wanted it...

As far as crazy prices, I went out of my way at 6 pm on a Friday night, and promised to have it installed by 10:30 the following morning. If I'm going to drop other projects to meet the customers demands, and they want a redicously quick turnaround time, I'm going to make it worth my while...and I'm going to charge a rush charge.

I once heard charge as much as you can, without cracking a smile...

And no, I don't have, nor do I want a digital printer... there are too many sources for digital printing, and personally I don't want to deal with color matching, ink and media, lamination, etc...

player

As far as crazy prices, I went out of my way at 6 pm on a Friday night, and promised to have it installed by 10:30 the following morning. If I'm going to drop other projects to meet the customers demands, and they want a redicously quick turnaround time, I'm going to make it worth my while...and I'm going to charge a rush charge.

And no, I don't have, nor do I want a digital printer... there are too many sources for digital printing, and personally I don't want to deal with color matching, ink and media, lamination, etc...

You should consider re-thinking this... I hardly ever have to deal with colour matching. Media is a short learning curve. Lamination is actually something that can make your life way easier. I use my laminator to apply tons of stuff. Not just clear on prints. 4' x 8' signs get completely covered in one go... Anyhow your missing a pile of the fun when you refuse colour printing technology.

If you get a Roland print cut machine, it includes the software, and it is really simple to use, and results are excellent out of the box.

Marlene

how much did you charge for a site visit? you went out of your way and charged them nothing? when you say multi colored, how were you going to do that without a printer and turn it around overnight? just wondering as something sounds really off

Kottwitz-Graphics

how much did you charge for a site visit? you went out of your way and charged them nothing? when you say multi colored, how were you going to do that without a printer and turn it around overnight? just wondering as something sounds really off

Some small shops such as myself can and still layer cut vinyl.

TimToad

I don't doubt that a good brushpusher couldn't do a fine looking, multi-color, even complex looking sign overnight, but in this case with the apparent need for just some simple, "regulatory" type signs being requested, it seems like this effort was doomed from the start.

From having to deal with a low level employee without purchasing authority or clearly articulated needs, to making incorrect assumptions about the urgency and budget constraints, the OP would have been better off skipping the whole exercise in futility.