• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

letters coming up on the weed

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So, I was playing around in Corel trying to follow your instructions. I just typed in a name in a cursive font. I welded it..I can't select convert to curves because I welded it. BUt then I need to do what? where is the filet? do i add an outline at .01?
Window menu at the top > dockers > filet/scallop if it's welded then it is already curves

gabagoo

For small lettering I use 3M Electrocut with the poly backer. More money but way less frustration.

And Tex is on point. I call it the Band-Aid weeding method. Grip it and rip it. I've had good results with Electrocut losing maybe a letter or two on large jobs.
This is what I use for very small and thin lettering. I will warn you that you should be using high tac premask as that stuff can be very finicky as far as getting the release liner to release. I too ran everyhting on my old Graphtec but recently purchased a new Summa T series 140 with the tangental blade...Unbelievable how easy it is to weed very small copy even using 3 ml... best purchase

rjssigns

This is what I use for very small and thin lettering. I will warn you that you should be using high tac premask as that stuff can be very finicky as far as getting the release liner to release. I too ran everyhting on my old Graphtec but recently purchased a new Summa T series 140 with the tangental blade...Unbelievable how easy it is to weed very small copy even using 3 ml... best purchase
Never thought about a tangential cutter. I'm going to look into that. Not often I get jobs with small lettering but anything I can do to make them easier is welcome.

mlmcustom

mlmcustom.com
Adjust your overcut just a tad, or start weeding from your trouble spots first. It will help keep the letters down even if there's a little snag

garyroy

I don't weed a lot, a small job here and there.
I have seen some pretty cool videos on YouTube for weeding machines.

I know that small letters are a nightmare.
Some people have gotten it down to a science.

Take a look

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
Adjust your overcut just a tad
I have never played with overcut. We do have problems with weeding small text on heat press material; there's often a tiny tab uncut. Do y'all use this regularly? what kind of settings do you generally use?

MikePro

HUGE fan of adding an 1/8"-1/4" weed border around lettering the smaller it gets. It adds a level of satifaction to weeding, kinda like those tiktoks of peeling paint striping.

adds a little time to your plot, but pays out dividends in recuts and helps easier identify your product to remain.

MikePro

I have never played with overcut. We do have problems with weeding small text on heat press material; there's often a tiny tab uncut. Do y'all use this regularly? what kind of settings do you generally use?
"The overcut setting is used to tell the machine to cut a little further at the end of a shape to help guarantee closure. This is due to the fact that the blade tip is positioned at an angle and not directly in the center of the holder."
overcut would correct that. The setting would be minimal, like 1/16" but if uncertain just simply start low and dial-up with testcuts.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
So, I was playing around in Corel trying to follow your instructions. I just typed in a name in a cursive font. I welded it..I can't select convert to curves because I welded it. BUt then I need to do what? where is the filet? do i add an outline at .01?
A welded font is a curve, so you are good there. The fillet/scallop.chamfer is one of the dockers that you pull out from the Dockers menu under the windows tab. Select all of the nodes, select your size and hit apply.