• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lightbox Panel Question

jkdbjj

I have a customer that needs a new panel put in their lightbox. They can't tell me if it was clear or white before.
So my question is since I don't do a lot of these, if I buy a new piece for their box is it best to get the white panels that allow light to come through so it is diffused, or should I use clear piece that allows total light to come through.

Job specs are:
4'x10' box with no panel
Customer already has a decal for me to apply
I need to source a panel appropriate for the box.

GB2

Old Member
Get a white panel, that is good for all situations. The clear panel requires a white translucent print to be applied to it.

jkdbjj

Get a white panel, that is good for all situations. The clear panel requires a white translucent print to be applied to it.
Thanks for the reply.
My plastic vendor suggested ACR White 7328

Seems they are on same page so I appreciate it.

Wouldn't clear make it to easy to see the bulbs or not diffuse it enough?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At that size, your vendor is suggesting acrylic ?? I would go polycarb. Also, is your customer putting this is ?? If sio, does he/she have the capability of shaving off small pieces of face to make it fit properly and do they know the rules about expansion and contraction ??

Clear is for painting, so don't consider something not proper for your use.

Johnny Best

Listen to Gino, go polycarb for that size, 4x10 acrylic can break pretty quick if not handled right. You have a lift or boom truck to install. Is the "decal" 4x10 or do you have to seam it? And yes, white not clear.

jkdbjj

Guys this is for an interior sign box, in a retail location, so fortunately no lift needed.
Also Piedmont Plastics is cutting to exact specs 47.25x119.5

But, I do like the idea of ploycarb and wondered if that is what the rep recommended. I would think Poly is more expensive?
Anyway I will email then now.

Thank you for the assistance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you tell us the important parts upfront ?? Is this a slimface ?? Interior is an altogether different animal.

GB2

Old Member
Acrylic is lighter, cheaper, more rigid, more brittle, whiter, generally comes in sheets (limited availability in rolls).
Polycarb (Lexan) is heavier, more expensive, less rigid (tends to be a little floppy for lack of a better description, until it is secured), almost indestructible, more difficult to cut, stronger than acrylic, less white, generally available in sheets or rolls of greater sizes or seamless installation than acrylic.
For your purposes, interior lightbox, you should be perfectly fine with the Acrylic. For exterior in that size polycarb may be the better choice or pan formed face to increase rigidity and increase wind resistance.