• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted Pan Face Help, Please

phototec

I don't do many lighted, however I have an opportunity to replace three (3) 4'x4' pan faces. I was thinking I could purchase the blank clear pan faces and then apply transparent vinyl to the clear plastic face from the back and use white spray paint (like the typical painted sign face), but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea or not, any suggestions would be helpful?

Thinking of using 3- colors red, blue and black.

Or is it better to just purchase a pan face made from translucent white plastic and just apply cut transparent vinyl to the front?

If so what brand of translucent vinyl would be best to use?

Thanks for any and all help

J Hill Designs

its both an art and a science to backspray clear lexan properly

any vinyl specifically made for translucent sign faces will work - its a bit tough if you need to wrap around the pan form, but doable.

perhaps see cost of just getting them fully made by whomever you are getting the blanks from, if you are trepidatious

Kottwitz-Graphics

Go with the white face. A clear face is cheaper, but spraying it and getting it even can be a pain. When they are sprayed, it's done in front of lights, with translucent paint.

I use translucent oracal vinyl for my lit faces.

phototec

Go with the white face. A clear face is cheaper, but spraying it and getting it even can be a pain. When they are sprayed, it's done in front of lights, with translucent paint.

I use translucent oracal vinyl for my lit faces.

Hey Kottwitz, I have a few questions for you, which Oracal do you use the 8500 or 8800 series?

And you are saying you apply the cut translucent vinyl to the front of the white pan face, right?

I don't do many lighted signs, last one was four years ago, so I don't want to invest in full rolls, I remember reading on here that one supplier sells translucent by the yard, is that what you do, and if so what vendor do you use?

Or if anyone else knows a vendor that sells translucent vinyl by the yard?

Thanks

Billct2

White pan face, cast translucent vinyl on face, for the black you can use an regular opaque cast black.

jfiscus

Rap Master
My suggestion (how I do it):
1 - Measure the pans & make a template
2 - Draw up proof
3 - Call up Hendricks Vacuum Forming and have them quote
4 - send approved artwork to Hendricks
5 - Install new pans
6 - profit

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about you, but I know when doing most things, especially after not doing them for such a long time as you, that I'd want a little insurance, so buy whatever size you need and buy a 10 yard roll. If you make a mistake and only get barely enough to do it, you'll hafta order more and do some of it again, due to a stoopid mistake.
I can't believe you're cutting your costs do close, that you can't afford 3 rolls of vinyl, have stock left over and still make a decent profit..... on 3 faces. :wink:

One of my biggest competitors is Murphy..... Murphy's Law.

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over....... is the one my wife has highlighted on my poster in my office.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hey Kottwitz, I have a few questions for you, which Oracal do you use the 8500 or 8800 series?

And you are saying you apply the cut translucent vinyl to the front of the white pan face, right?

I don't do many lighted signs, last one was four years ago, so I don't want to invest in full rolls, I remember reading on here that one supplier sells translucent by the yard, is that what you do, and if so what vendor do you use?

Or if anyone else knows a vendor that sells translucent vinyl by the yard?

Thanks

I use 8500, I think.... I'm not near an oracal color chart.

1st surface is the only way on a white face. If you think you need close to half a roll, it's cheaper to buy a full roll. If you only need a small amount, you can order by the yard from fellers.

And when you apply the vinyl, do it wet. You can move it slightly, and it will keep bubbles to a minimum. The faces are always static charged, and wet helps keep it from drawing dust.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You could try Master Signs here in Dallas. They do nice work. No real need to pay for shipping from Ohio or Missouri....

The attached is completely painted, 2nd surface, no vinyl.

Attachments

• 20150129_171708.jpg
    20150129_171708.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 304

Chriswagner92

Faces, out of Tennessee or Alabama is who we use for our pan faces. A lot of the time we will just get a border embossed in it and put the translucent (depending on color, not series) on 1st surface and call it a day. If it is like the photo posted before where the letters are embossed then we will just get them painted and not worry about anything.

phototec

We have a local supplier in Austin who does the Vacuform faces, he said he is almost 3 weeks out, and offered another solution.

He said he could make the white pan faces in three days and I should just print the images using transparent digital print media, and leave a white boarder around the edge, I never thought about that.

Of course now I will have questions about printing on that material, I think I have read you have to print a double pass or something?

Decisions, decisions!

phototec

I don't know about you, but I know when doing most things, especially after not doing them for such a long time as you, that I'd want a little insurance, so buy whatever size you need and buy a 10 yard roll. If you make a mistake and only get barely enough to do it, you'll hafta order more and do some of it again, due to a stoopid mistake.
I can't believe you're cutting your costs do close, that you can't afford 3 rolls of vinyl, have stock left over and still make a decent profit..... on 3 faces. :wink:

One of my biggest competitors is Murphy..... Murphy's Law.

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over....... is the one my wife has highlighted on my poster in my office.

Thanks you Gino, I have told you before you are very wise.

You are 100% right, I should just order a small roll of each color and have some extra in case I goof-up (it has happened).

Wow, my father use to always tell me, "if you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over", again I think these are wise words..

Thanks

Chriswagner92

We have a local supplier in Austin who does the Vacuform faces, he said he is almost 3 weeks out, and offered another solution.

He said he could make the white pan faces in three days and I should just print the images using transparent digital print media, and leave a white boarder around the edge, I never thought about that.

Of course now I will have questions about printing on that material, I think I have read you have to print a double pass or something?

Decisions, decisions!

Double Pass does NOT work. We have been struggling with transparent media for months, can't seem to get it right. If you do go that way you might need to do both a 1st and 2nd surface print in order for it to not look like crap at night but still look good during the day. When you do a double pass it looks ok lit up but is really dark during the day. If it were my shop I would tell the customer that its at least 3 weeks out and just get them painted and not deal with the headache.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On a pan face, do yourself a favor and don't print anything. I'ts gonna leave a discoloration and that's gonna look dumb. Let the guy make the pan-faces in 3 days and get yourself the 3 rolls of translucent vinyl. If you have problems doing it with translucent..... you're gonna have nightmares doing it with digitally printed translucent and then when the customer b!tches, you'll hafta buy the vinyl anyway. Cut your losses and go the route you do know.

phototec

On a pan face, do yourself a favor and don't print anything. I'ts gonna leave a discoloration and that's gonna look dumb. Let the guy make the pan-faces in 3 days and get yourself the 3 rolls of translucent vinyl. If you have problems doing it with translucent..... you're gonna have nightmares doing it with digitally printed translucent and then when the customer b!tches, you'll hafta buy the vinyl anyway. Cut your losses and go the route you do know.

Thanks Gino, you make good points, this is the road I will take!

It has been recommended that I use REGULAR cast black for the black parts (which I have already), the black will be an out line on top of red with reverse type to let the white pan face show through. Any issues overlaying the black onto the red translucent vinyl?

Attachments

• SAMPLE.jpg
    SAMPLE.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 131