• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted Pan Face Help, Please

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looking at that picture, the black outline is a complete and total waste of time, material and thinking. That kinda look is for computer screens and monitors, not electric signs up in the air being viewed a 1/2 block away.

If you must use it, all vinyl must overlap at least 1/4" or it will shrink and you'll have a white sliver show through.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Looking at that picture, the black outline is a complete and total waste of time, material and thinking. That kinda look is for computer screens and monitors, not electric signs up in the air being viewed a 1/2 block away.

If you must use it, all vinyl must overlap at least 1/4" or it will shrink and you'll have a white sliver show through.

+1. Even though it's translucent, the black will detract from the red. Save the headache of trying to line it up, and the added cost.

player

Okay, I'll bite....... why ??

I've been doing it for 30 years and haven't seen any problems. Up close, there is a sheen difference, but basically.......... why ??

Because regular vinyl can get damaged from the heat. The black translucent is made to take the excessive heat a sign face can experience from the sun and the box in behind like a solar melter. I have seen faces that have had regular black become all wrinkled and melty. It may not happen all the time, but that's why it's worth it to use the translucent black.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Because regular vinyl can get damaged from the heat. The black translucent is made to take the excessive heat a sign face can experience from the sun and the box in behind like a solar melter. I have seen faces that have had regular black become all wrinkled and melty. It may not happen all the time, but that's why it's worth it to use the translucent black.

I've heard of this, but have never seen it in my area or anywhere I've traveled or visited. In fact, i don't remember anyone ever omplaining of it, either. Perhaps, if you live in Death Valley or some other super hot area, it might happen, but for me, that's a precaution I've never experienced or used. Better safe, than sorry though..... so I guess it might be a good idea, if the project will bear the cost.

player

I've heard of this, but have never seen it in my area or anywhere I've traveled or visited. In fact, i don't remember anyone ever omplaining of it, either. Perhaps, if you live in Death Valley or some other super hot area, it might happen, but for me, that's a precaution I've never experienced or used. Better safe, than sorry though..... so I guess it might be a good idea, if the project will bear the cost.

No, not Death Valley... however as I said, I have seen it a couple of times.

Maybe the sign boxes didn't have proper heat vents? Anyhow for me, I just order trans black and forget about it.

Techman

We used black all the time in Louisiana. On lit signs. And never saw a melted piece. Ever.
I never had to wait for a light tube to cool down to change one. Never saw a light box so to melt plastic. I also find it difficult to think that trans is some special vinyl that is heat poof.

However, using cheap calendered vinyl on a sign face will curl and peal like a tater chip. If some dummy wants to use cheap vinyl as trans then let him suffer the fail.

player

We used black all the time in Louisiana. On lit signs. And never saw a melted piece. Ever.
I never had to wait for a light tube to cool down to change one. Never saw a light box so to melt plastic. I also find it difficult to think that trans is some special vinyl that is heat poof.

However, using cheap calendered vinyl on a sign face will curl and peal like a tater chip. If some dummy wants to use cheap vinyl as trans then let him suffer the fail.

Whatever. Good for you.

player

show a pic of melted vinyl from a hot back lit box..,, or it never happened.

You're right. I made it up. Carry on with your regular vinyl, and don't use the vinyl designed for the application.
(No reason to mention how some black is not 100% opaque and it can look mottled at night.)

Techman

ya, we with decades of experience already know about the less than opaque calendared vinyl that leeps, curls and otherwise is a waste of life force.