• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted sign cabinet fabricating

tintshopplus

So I usually don't get involved with lighted signs. I've replaced some facings with sign grade lexan in the past and simple vinyl installs. My business mostly consists simple custom projects, vehicle lettering, and window decals. However, I have a custy interested in a lighted sign cabinet (3' x 16') on his building (which he already has all I have to do is replace the face.) And a lighted pole sign in front of the building that will be 2 sided. Dimensions undetermined. He has the pole and electric ready. Looking for advice on this one as to whether or not to try to fabricate my own cabinet for the pole sign which I have absolutely no experience with. Or if I should order ready to go from a manufacturer. Gemini is the only folks I know of for this. So anyone willing to share other sources is welcome. Custy is hanging the signs on his new construction himself. Job seems simple enough to order facing for both signs and install transluscent vinyl. Thought it would be a good one to start with considering the simplicity. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

J Hill Designs

order RTG -- I'm sure your shop isnt UL certified to manufacture.

There are many wholesale elec. cab manufacturers, dont wanna step on anyones toes by not mentioning MM's, so I'll leave it at that.

tintshopplus

order RTG -- I'm sure your shop isnt UL certified to manufacture.

There are many wholesale elec. cab manufacturers, dont wanna step on anyones toes by not mentioning MM's, so I'll leave it at that.

Thank you for that. I have already begin searching. Good news is I have a refurb guy here in my area willing to help out. And I get to help him out by buying one. Everyone wins! Thanks again.

Kottwitz-Graphics

He has the pole and electric ready. Looking for advice on this one as to whether or not to try to fabricate my own cabinet for the pole sign which I have absolutely no experience with.

So your saying that the pole is already installed in the ground?

I wouldn't touch that one. There are a lot of factors that go into engineering a sign structure. Wind loads, soil density, foundation size... too much that could go wrong, and if you don't know what your doing, it could be disasterous.

Billct2

BIG difference between putting a face in a wall sign and installing a box on a pole. Your best bet is to partner up with someone qualified to do this type of work.

Mosh

What is the pole rated for? Do you have an Archi stamp to tell you what it will hold up?

I have breaks, shears, welders, and I stopped doing these because of the liability. BTW what fabrication equipment do you have?

+1 on this is out of your league if you are asking questions like that on some web site....
even if it is The 101.

Don't think Gemini makes cabinets...

Do a few monuments on the ground and get some experience down low before you tackle something up in the air.

VolunteerSign

Mosh is correct let this one pass you by. I learned the "self taught" way, years ago. I can still remember well what a 12' lighted sign looks like on the hood of a pretty red Nissan...or were they still Datsuns back then.

Now people with wind load expertise, and concrete people are on speed dial.

Marlene

He has the pole and electric ready.

as others have said, that could be an issue. how did he get this? is it a new install or was there a lighted sign there at one time? does to power run to a dedicated box for just the sign? how is the pole mounted? J-bolts in concrete? what's at the top? if it is an single pole, is there a plate at the top? it kind of sounds like you might want to leave this to someone with experience as there are just too many factors.

SIGNTIME

the op did say the customer would be installing... I would supply your customer with the box and faces and have him sign something releasing you from liability

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Before you commit to the pole sign, as the others have said, you need to know what size the pad is, how deep and practically what kind of concrete did the company who put it in use. You must know what is the wall thickness of the pole. Is the pole sign on a dedicated line ??

Hopefully your new sidekick will know or can figure some of this out, but to blindly do this is sure disaster.