• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Live plants in a sign shop? (Solvent fumes)

MindsEyeOpen

Does anyone have any live plants growing in their shop in fairly close proximity to a solvent printer? Our new guy in the art department is big into plants and he asked if he could bring some into our office. My only concern is that we have a Mimaki JV33 in the room. I'm worried the solvent fumes might be rough on them.

I don't want to risk killing any of his plants so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks!

Well we have a plant in the front area maybe say 20 or feet area that is doing just fine, I have had fresh cut flowers that didn't seem to be effected at all. Oh and my fishie sits within a foot next to the printer has been here a year without any issues.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have plants growing for years.

We also have other living things around, but our space is kinda wide open with quite a bit of natural ventilation.

MindsEyeOpen

Uhh.. if it's gonna kill the plant it's gonna kill you.

I just assumed that some plants may be more sensitive to chemical fumes than people would be. I wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any issues before he brought any of them in here. I wasn't aware how expensive some plants are. Just wanted to be safe.

You're worried about the plants?

Sure. I have life insurance, the plants don't. :tongue:

anotherdog

I would be more worried about spilling water in the print room...oh and those tiny little flies that can live in the soil of pot plants.

The same tiny little flies that throw themselves onto the vinyl as it is being made.