• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

S

spmracing

Could you guys offer any opinions for this logo?

dtd_logo_cs.jpg Offsite pic replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve C.

I like that! It is a little off balance. Heavy on the right. Maybe a panel with
the secondary copy that extends left of the g.

Jillbeans

I think it's fine.
Kerning on Ds is a little off.
But it's clean and simple, something I think we all need to see more of.
I don't think it needs the stars.
Love....Jill

showcase 66

It looks good and simple. Little heavy on the right like Steve said. Just a thought. Maybe you should switch vinyl to "vynil". I hear its all the rage in the sign world now. :ROFLMAO:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Pet peeve #10,243... Adding ".com" to a logo....

Unless your company name is "Design To Decals Dot Com" you should design the logo without it.

Then when developing layouts for particular media, you add stuff to it.

Pet peeve #7,934... adding service to logos... same as above, if your business name is "Design To Decals Dot Com Motorsports Design (what is that?) Vinyl Graphics" you should design the logo without it.

The scale is a little off on the bottom copy, stars and .com, and the sweep on the swooshy is a little odd, but this is one of those logos that is clean, legible and versatile in various forms....

Attachments

• d2d.jpg
    d2d.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 94

dj_elite

If his business is mostly online why wouldn't he advertise the dot com? I too don't really like the stars, but if you are to keep them shouldn't they be on the other side like a shooting star???

Rick

If his business is mostly online why wouldn't he advertise the dot com? I too don't really like the stars, but if you are to keep them shouldn't they be on the other side like a shooting star???

Because any muffin head with half a brain stem can google or type in designtodecal.com...

Colin

What about a typeface that is a little more "automotive" looking? And perhaps a wee bit bolder too.

Marlene

fix the kerning, get rid of the stars. I don't mind the .com as it tells me this is an online business but it depends on where it is used. if it will be used on the site, well, duh, no kidding .com but if it is for an ad, I'd want to know online or shop and not have to bother googling to find out.

WildWestDesigns

Because any muffin head with half a brain stem can google or type in designtodecal.com...

I actually have to be really careful on that score because I don't have a .com or even a .net. So you have to be really careful about that, particularly now as everything is going online more and more and you are running out of .coms and .nets.

I remember when I first started my horse business, having ads in the phonebook was one of the first things that you did. Now, it's nothing but internet, even I rarely use a hardcopy of the phonebook any more. I doubt the younger generation even knows how to use a phonebook.

WildWestDesigns

I just came across this article related to that:

http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2010/11/12/AdvertisingDies/

I believe some of it, not all because there are still some ways to get in and around some issues that modern TV and Radio have(really all y'all have to do is look to how OTR did it long ago(big fan of OTR, nothing passes time weeding vinyl then OTR)) when it comes to putting ads there.

Although I'm still going to officially get into web design first of the year and hopefully get some revenue from that just in case it's all doom and gloom like that article predicts. I just don't think it's as clear cut as it says, not just yet.

phototec

I just came across this article related to that:

http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2010/11/12/AdvertisingDies/

I believe it!

Do you remember:

The horse and buggy?

The gas street lamps?

The Telegraph?

The hand painted billboards?

The Zippo lighter?

The Victrola?

The B & W round picture tube TV's?

Pong video game?

Beta-max video tapes?

Technology has a way of retiring the older and moving forward with the newer!

Photo of Dr Martin Cooper, inventer of the cell phone in 1973.

Attachments

• Martin Cooper1st cell phone.jpg
    Martin Cooper1st cell phone.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 73

WildWestDesigns

Pet peeve #7,934... adding service to logos... same as above, if your business name is "Design To Decals Dot Com Motorsports Design (what is that?) Vinyl Graphics" you should design the logo without it.

I would imagine that it has to do with designing decals(or wraps) for things like go-fast boats, jetski, maybe even motorcycles that do motorcross racing.

There is a store not to far from me that has Motorsport in the name that deals in those, so that's what makes me think of them when he refers to "Motorsport".

Joe Diaz

Pet peeve #10,243... Adding ".com" to a logo....
I can think of things that are far worst. I kind of look at it a different way. I look at using a ".com" next to your logo as just another way to promote your website. And I personally don't see any problem with that.

Sure you can Google that company's name, but... I don't see the addition of a ".com" or ".net" as just spelling out the address of that website, but to advertise that the company has a website at all. I don't think for most people it is assumed that every business has a website, especially small businesses. And if their website is an essential part of their business process, promoting it is essential.

We do a lot of vehicle advertising and the web address is becoming more and more of an essential item requested by clients. IF the web address matches the company's name, I suggests adding the ".com" on to the logo as a way to reduce the amount of content on that layout. As you all most likely know. people driving past things like signs and vehicles don't have time to read a book, so those forms of advertisements must be short and sweet.

That's not to say adding a .com/.net/.whatever is right for every business or on all forms of advertisements but attaching a .com to a logo can be a way to kill two birds with one stone. And if it is done in tactfully it won't harm the overall look, feel, or purpose of the logo.

Last edited:

Steve C.

I can think of things that are far worst. I kind of look at it a different way. I look at using a ".com" next to your logo as just another way to promote your website. And I personally don't see any problem with that.

Sure you can Google that company's name, but... I don't see the addition of a ".com" or ".net" as just spelling out the address of that website, but to advertise that the company has a website at all. I don't think for most people it is assumed that every business has a website, especially small businesses. And if their website is an essential part of their business process, promoting it is essential.

We do a lot of vehicle advertising and the web address is becoming more and more of an essential item requested by clients. IF the web address matches the company's name, I suggests adding the ".com" on to the logo as a way to reduce the amount of content on that layout. As you all most likely know. people driving past things like signs and vehicles don't have time to read a book, so those forms of advertisements must be short and sweet.

That's not to say adding a .com/.net/.whatever is right for every business or on all forms of advertisements but attaching a .com to a logo can be a way to kill two birds with one stone. And if it is done in a tactfully it won't harm the overall look, feel, or purpose of the logo.

Having a dot com in my logo, I will naturally agree... Also, googleing a name
will not necessarily bring up that name exclusively. Googleing signfonts will
likely bring up letterhead font, sign dna, as well as many other font sites,
that I would rather my customers not find. At least until they have visited
my site first.

Rick

Bullspit! (I always wanted to say that)

A person has to be a complete idiot not to add .com on a browser... especially if you have the .com in the first place. You will be in trouble if you are mostly web based and not own the .com

What I said is... design the logo without the .com "Then when developing layouts for particular media, you add stuff to it." Like as you said, on truck layouts or t-shirts... but that .com in this instance is so tiny on his logo, where would that work on a business card or media where it is not needed? It looks like a small appendage that needs to be nicked off.

I'm not against the .com on a layout, but like designing in black and white, you design without the crap.. like .coms and services (and addresses and phone numbers)

I googled sign fonts, you are on the first page Steve.. not bad.

Diaz Sign art comes up when you type in "diaz signs"... probably because no one has taken diazsigns... which kinda surprised me.

WildWestDesigns

Bullspit! (I always wanted to say that)

A person has to be a complete idiot not to add .com on a browser... especially if you have the .com in the first place. You will be in trouble if you are mostly web based and not own the .com

Like I said, I don't have a .com as it will be harder and harder for people to get the .com as more and more businesses go to the web.

You have things like .net and .biz out there as well. You don't want people assuming that you are a .com when you aren't.

It isn't as easy as .com anymore. Myself and a few others on here I have noticed are a .biz, maybe more.

You are right though, it does make it that much harder when you aren't a .com, I've actually had to be more aggressive with getting my website out there since it isn't a .com, but that part about the idiot and .com just isn't as true as it once was.

Steve C.

I googled sign fonts, you are on the first page Steve.. not bad.
Rick,
I will be on the first page of most search engines. Along with several of my
competitors. I'd rather clients go directly to Signfonts.com without the search.
Just like I would rather they already have my phone # in hand without going
to the phone book...all my competition is there!
I understand your point. There are always exceptions.:smile:

Last edited: