• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo critique

ucmj22

Here is a logo I decided to work up today. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 4.49.05 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 4.49.05 PM.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 99

stephenj148

Maybe a different font for "heating...." and your going to loose the dotted lines around the words. I would take them out.

Try taking out the two side bars as well. Just to see

Joe Diaz

It's clean... It reads well... but could use a bit more personality. Also try a less bold font for your sub copy and I bet it will read even better. I agree about the side bars too. Right now they could be confused as letters. The text needs a bit more room to breath. Perhaps pull those bars out a bit and maybe go with your lighter color for them. Just a thought.

TwoNine

Not trying to be rude - and this is TOTALLY up for debate - but when I see a 'P' in a circle MY mind goes directly to a "Parking" mentality. As for the rest I really like it. Nice effect on the drop shadowing though, so long as it is a deep enough gray to be visible. I also agree with the above posts regarding the side bars.

Just my humble opinion.
-Chad

stephenj148

Not trying to be rude - and this is TOTALLY up for debate - but when I see a 'P' in a circle MY mind goes directly to a "Parking" mentality. As for the rest I really like it. Nice effect on the drop shadowing though, so long as it is a deep enough gray to be visible. I also agree with the above posts regarding the side bars.

Just my humble opinion.
-Chad
Hmm.. really didn't think about it, but now that you said it its so true.. ESPECIALLY because of the blue in the logo. Most "parking" signs are a similar blue color...

Take what Joe said, try to put some personality into it.

jkdbjj

My biggest problem so far is the drop shadow under the circle.

The best rule of thumb for logos bar none is this:

"If you can't render the image in plain black and white, the logo will never be successful."

Just old school theory, but it still drives great logo design.

Colin

The vertical bars on the ends are the same line weight and color as the letters, and therefore function like letters and kill the legibility. Why are they there? Whenever you do something with a design, there should be a reason for it.

visual800

lose the two bars and change the bottom tagline to upper and lower, logo is clean and cool i like it

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
First thing I avoid is putting a company initials into a circle. seems to be the design go to ... always the same thing, circle with an outline, skewed circle, swoosh based circle, etc. ... always with the initial inside.

Now twonine made me look it up ... I only see a parking sign now.
http://www.rosslynva.org/_files/images/parking-sign_button.gif

That is not to say that you shouldn't go for a round logo. On the contrary, round logo's are probably the most challenging and rewarding ... just put forth the effort to make something truly a+ ... here is a site showing 50 well known logos all circular .. good inspiration to know why people are going "eeehhhhh, could be better" http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/05/50-excellent-circular-logos/

Jillbeans

It's OK but I agree with what's been said.
Lose the bars and the drop shadow on the circle.
Lighter weight font for the subcopy.

I'd go a different direction altogether.
I'd make Professional in an emblem like you'd see on an old appliance (some are really cool)
http://www.emblemagic.com/nonauto_metal.htm
with the tagline in a simple sans serif underneath.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• emblems.jpg
    emblems.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 46

stephenj148

well first "Reapair" should say REPAIR i'm guessing?

Not sure about that, seems like you just threw some wings in there...

maybe try a different font for the sub text,

and remove the dotted lines on the outside of professional. to clean it up a little more.

jkdbjj

How bout this?
Just my opinion, but I don't see what the wings or whatever they are have to do with heating and air?

It seems very random after seeing your first attempt.

A good logo, will have an explanation for each part, a purpose for each part. If you can't easily explain the reasoning, than it is just filler and extra parts not needed.

ucmj22

the "dotted lines are a stroked drop shadow. I believe they work well with the retro look I am going for. the wings ARE just thrown on there as I didnt want to take the time to create my own wings until I was sure that the art nouveau emblem feel was what I wanted in the end. I obviously can't use the modified chrysler emblem currently in the comp.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-31 at 9.55.01 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-31 at 9.55.01 AM.png
    26 KB · Views: 51

stephenj148

the "dotted lines are a stroked drop shadow. I believe they work well with the retro look I am going for. the wings ARE just thrown on there as I didnt want to take the time to create my own wings until I was sure that the art nouveau emblem feel was what I wanted in the end. I obviously can't use the modified chrysler emblem currently in the comp.

Okay, I can see that a little better now... thanks

still just for those, keep in mind that at a smaller scale they might not look as crisp and clear. But blown up, I do like it.

Write down a list of things that deal with heating and all that and come up with something about the company that you could incorporate into the logo. Even something as simple "air waves" (wavy lines)
or soemthing that deals with repairs?

qmr55

You are trying to have a retro theme, but then other points of your design are pointing at a modern era theme. I like the first idea better by far, I think you can do something different with the P maybe and add something that has to do with repairing heating and air conditioning to it. I just think you need to sit back and look at it and decide whether you want to go with a more modern look, or a classic retro look. The two together don't usually work well they will have conflicting elements. I think the shadow you are using goes well with the retro look, but it doesn't go well with the "p" icon you are using. My opinion? Keep in the direction of the retro theme but add to it with more details and possibly draw up a wrench instead of having the "p" or something similar.