• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

Colin

Wrong, dead wrong in fact. It says I have succeeded for 20 years and you will continue to receive similar service.

Uh, no. I doesn't "say" 20 years of success; you are merely taking the time he's been in business, calling it success, and attributing that to the logo. A logical fallacy if there ever was one. Perhaps he's had the 20 year run because of other factors like location, customer service, or a bowl of mints at the front counter with an addictive chemical. Who knows? The reality is he could have and would have been more successful with a better logo.

Without knowing more of his business and it's client base, completely changing the name and look of business could be suicide.

Or, it could display that he, like almost all other other businesses are keeping up with the times, are forward thinking, and constantly improving instead of being stuck in the 80s.

If I was a customer of his for many years and pulled up one day to the best logo in the world I might say "wow I guess he got bought out or folded" the customer might love the new logo but maybe he never had a issue with design or how creative their services were and therefore turn around.

Really? You'd turn around if you saw a nice new logo with the same name? If that's true, then you are merely displaying your irrational way of going through life, complete with an openness to change like people in an old folks home. I suggest people would walk right in as usual.

2NinerNiner2

Attachments

• njsignsgraphics01.png
    njsignsgraphics01.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 91

HulkSmash

Why yes of course, you are SO correct ;)

are you mentally unstable? I said add something that gives it character, and makes it different instead of just words. I added a symbol that represented location, and making it unique. Pretty sure i added much more then 1 thing, if you knew anything about design you could spot them.

let's see your logo hotshot 29ER9ER9ER9ER2. NIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE

let me guess. It's a leaf with writing in it? Is there an airplane in it? Does it vroom vroom?

Pat Whatley

Here you go.....Bon Jovi is about the only thing relevant to NJ that gives character and is different that just words (because I wasn't going to take the time to draw a beach covered in New York's garbage)

Attachments

• Untitled copy.jpg
    Untitled copy.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 104

tsgstl

Uh, no. I doesn't "say" 20 years of success; you are merely taking the time he's been in business, calling it success, and attributing that to the logo. A logical fallacy if there ever was one. Perhaps he's had the 20 year run because of other factors like location, customer service, or a bowl of mints at the front counter with an addictive chemical. Who knows? The reality is he could have and would have been more successful with a better logo.

Or, it could display that he, like almost all other other businesses are keeping up with the times, are forward thinking, and constantly improving instead of being stuck in the 80s.

Really? You'd turn around if you saw a nice new logo with the same name? If that's true, then you are merely displaying your irrational way of going through life, complete with an openness to change like people in an old folks home. I suggest people would walk right in as usual.

You are absolutely correct. And you are basically proving my point. I used words like "could" and "needing to know his clients" just like you are using the term "perhaps"
I never intended to imply that he is "successful because of his logo" he has succeeded in staying open for 20 years and will continue to receive the same service. Those are 2 entirely different things.

And about turning around. Of course I wouldn't turn around and I wasn't talking about changing the logo (I suggested he changed the logo and nix the x) I was talking about changing the name and everything. And once again used the words "might"
I would never expect others perceptions of anything. If the business has been around for 20 years that means some of his customers could be 20 years older than they once were. That would make a 40 year old now 60. If they pull up to a new name and a new logo they MIGHT turn around. They MIGHT walk in with more open pockets than before impressed with a fresh aspect. You and me my friend are on the same page, but what other feel RIGHT OR WRONG is another story. And I have scraped off a lot of amazing logos off of glass after they fail. Just like I have done the same horrible logo over and over for years.

I do find it funny you left out my last sentence when quoting though. So here it is again.
"I would love to change it all, but I understand why he is concerned"

Dan Antonelli

The business has had the same name and logo for 20+ years. So I'm used to both (it was my father's business)

I just had this sign made for my office. Its a quote I coined years ago, as I grew tired of clients trying to justify any measure of success as a rationale for perpetuating a poor brand. Point being, imagine how much greater success you might have attained with a better brand.

ON a side note, the script and lettering is from Bob Behoenek, and the sign is from Greg Reid. Perhaps two of the most talented designers on the planet.

Attachments

• success.jpg
    success.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 91

Dan Antonelli

Big corporate logos require a different design approach than a small business.

Chapter 7 in my next book.

In fact, 50% of the book addresses this very fact.

H&R Block can successfully brand a green square for one simple reason. Money. Hell, give me $50m and I'll successful brand a hexagon.

The challenges for successful small business brand lay mainly in budget, and finding the best way to overcome lack of capital to get their brand out. Which is why they need to think outside the box, be creative, and design effective brands which are memorable and communicate their services clearly and concisely.

visual800

No, I'm actually going to change it very soon--hopefully in the next week or so. And I appreciate all the suggestions people have made. I'd like to change the name too. I hate the "x"! I just don't know how much is involved with that. Plus, I have to pic a name that isn't taken in NJ. Anyway, here is a quick reworking of the logo:

attachment.php

I like this better than the original that was posted

signmeup

I just had this sign made for my office. Its a quote I coined years ago, as I grew tired of clients trying to justify any measure of success as a rationale for perpetuating a poor brand. Point being, imagine how much greater success you might have attained with a better brand.

ON a side note, the script and lettering is from Bob Behoenek, and the sign is from Greg Reid. Perhaps two of the most talented designers on the planet.
I love the sentiment of that sign Dan, but man.... I can barely read that.

Sven

Slight re-tweak of new logo. It's plain, but I like it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• New Logo 2.jpg
    New Logo 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 100

10sacer

OK, boys and girls, the name of his company really is "Signs & Graphix, LLC", but it looks like the Graphix is changing to an actual word now.

fmg

I like that a lot!!!