• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I must say, this comment in the O/P gave me concern: "I'm looking for constructive criticism, but compliments are also appreciated."

....but let's not hang the guy. Perhaps he will have the humility to learn something here.

... except all he keeps saying is "I took the shop over and I'm afraid to change it" Learning would be willing to push beyond what he is doing.

Oh and a DBA is cheap, takes about an hour to get, an hour for the bank to do their thing so you can be paid under that name and then you are fricken done.

tsgstl

why not slowly change the logo?
Shrink the "G" and make it "graphics"
Keep the same colors maybe add a little flair.
Then in a year change the font and maybe the color a little bit or not.

Major brands constantly tweak their logo's
I only drink Killians Irish Red beer. Every 2-3 years they adjust their colors and logo. When they change it I never pass it up in my grocery store sitting next to 200 other changing beer brands. I doubt you are right next to your customers and I doubt they will not appreciate you updating yourself with the times or even notice.

HulkSmash

So you started with this.

This is my logo. Any thoughts? I'm looking for constructive criticism, .

Then you said....

I'm trying to decide if it's time to change it.

And now.. You're saying this....

I don't like the "x" either, but it's the name of the business I took over. Way too much hassle to change that now.

so.............um........why are you asking for suggestions? Your name is part of the logo... graphix, grafix, kolor, grafiks, ....all awful.

tsgstl

this is what I mean for a slow progression if you are worried about the switch.

I had about 2 seconds to do this IT IS JUST A EXAMPLE

EDIT: the last example did not export correctly in the orange (supposed to be white text) but I think you get the idea

Attachments

• logo1.jpg
    logo1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 85
  • logo2.jpg
    logo2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 83
  • logo3.jpg
    logo3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 99

Sven

@Circleville Signs: I know the logo and the name are not good. I don't see how I "pushed you over the line". That's funny. Maybe you need to relax and go check your blood pressure before you have a heart attack if you're so easily aggravated.

I'm not defending the logo. I'm just trying to explain the situation. The business has had the same name and logo for 20+ years. So I'm used to both (it was my father's business). I tried to tweak it a bit, and it's an improvement over the original, so I'm just trying to get some other opinions. Try to relax and be a little more understanding--it will do you some good buddy.

Last edited:

Circleville Signs

@Circleville Signs: I know the logo and the name are not good. I don't see how I "pushed you over the line". That's funny. Maybe you need to relax and go check your blood pressure before you have a heart attack if your so easily aggravated.

I'm not defending the logo. I'm just trying to explain the situation. The business has had the same name and logo for 20+ years. So I'm used to both (it was my father's business). I tried to tweak it a bit, and it's an improvement over the original, so I'm just trying to get some other opinions. Try to relax and be a little more understanding--it will do you some good buddy.

LOL - you know the name and logo aren't good, however you don't want to change them because it is too much hassle...

Disconnect much?

It's aggravating because I'm guessing that the amount of thought that Colin put into his suggestions was around 10x longer than it took whomever to put together that God-Awful logo that you are so attached to.

It's aggravating because somewhere (wherever you are) is another one of "those" shops.

If your shop doesn't do design work, there's no shame in that. LOTS of great shops don't. So don't do design work. Hire someone to create a really great logo for you. Colin and Phillip Newell are a good choice in the mid-range price point. If you want to go a little higher, talk to Joe Diaz, and at the top end, you can give Dan Antonelli a call.

However, I'm willing to bet that you'll still be using this logo 3 years from now. I hope I'm wrong.

SD&F

I like the colors. I agree you need to work on logo. If you have had it for 20 years and you are going to chage it....change it.+

HulkSmash

@Circleville Signs: I know the logo and the name are not good. I don't see how I "pushed you over the line". That's funny. Maybe you need to relax and go check your blood pressure before you have a heart attack if your so easily aggravated.

are you the one who got snookie pregnant?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sven............

Don't listen to them. I think the logo should remain completely untouched. The look is a classic.... ya know, like the tuxedo was invented 100 some years ago and the basic still looks the best.

Some things... such as your logo can take the brunt of time and still remain on top. If it's lasted some 20 years and you're doing well in business.... don't change a thing. These people are just over-zealous-pig-headed arteets and just enjoy making people feel bad about themselves.

In fact..... I'd add your phone number to a second panel on there and maybe even your website.

Circleville Signs

Sven............

Don't listen to them. I think the logo should remain completely untouched. The look is a classic.... ya know, like the tuxedo was invented 100 some years ago and the basic still looks the best.

Some things... such as your logo can take the brunt of time and still remain on top. If it's lasted some 20 years and you're doing well in business.... don't change a thing. These people are just over-zealous-pig-headed arteets and just enjoy making people feel bad about themselves.

In fact..... I'd add your phone number to a second panel on there and maybe even your website.

At least once a day you make me spit-take. You sir are my hero.

Sven

No, I'm actually going to change it very soon--hopefully in the next week or so. And I appreciate all the suggestions people have made. I'd like to change the name too. I hate the "x"! I just don't know how much is involved with that. Plus, I have to pic a name that isn't taken in NJ. Anyway, here is a quick reworking of the logo:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Logo1.jpg
    Logo1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 91

Colin

It says to the onlooker that you have the creativity of a librarian.

Also, there is too little space before the "&" and after the "S".

HulkSmash

No, I'm actually going to change it very soon--hopefully in the next week or so. And I appreciate all the suggestions people have made. I'd like to change the name too. I hate the "x"! I just don't know how much is involved with that. Plus, I have to pic a name that isn't taken in NJ. Anyway, here is a quick reworking of the logo:

attachment.php

that's not a logo, that's letters. add something to make it unique?

Circleville Signs

Tyrant Designer always gives the same advice to everyone - and you haven't followed it yet. It is some of the best advice you will ever be given.

Step away from your computer.

Grab a pencil and some graph paper.

Start sketching.