• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Reproduction

neato

Nice work (except for the music in the video, but that's another topic). Your method is exactly the way I do it. Starting with straight lines changed to curves will give the cleanest final product.

No autotrace will be as precise and clean. On some stuff that isn't crucial or will just be used once, autotrace is fine. But for a logo that is going to have multiple applications, hand tracing is the only way.

Johnny Best

Because I want to and I can. The only reasons to do anything. All else is rationalization.

This morph1 specimen puts me in mind of the sort that, if you told it that elephant tusks and piano keys were both ivory it would just naturally assume that elephant tusks were made from piano keys. Moreover being prolific and being any good at something are two very different and totally unrelated things.

These were almost wiped out at the turn of the century by hunters for Steinway and Yamaha. They are called "Babygrands" babygrand.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that a G sharp or A flat elephant ??

I can name that cuddly in just 5 notes.

GTracer

That was certainly an impressive manual redraw, and I am sure many envy the skill demonstrated. I am sure it has taken many hours of practice to reach such a level of proficiency. I have used Corel since version 2, and considered myself to be pretty good, but could never reach that speed. For those who have not yet reached that level, Graphic Tracer fits nicely into the work flow and can help fill that gap producing results that can be used in any application. With little training, this logo can be reproduced in around 3 minutes. I realize there are some who will always want to "trash" programs like this... All I can say is, "a person needs to use what works best for them".
How to Convert a Two Color Bitmap Logo into a Production Ready Vector Graphic Using Graphic Tracer - YouTube

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nice work (except for the music in the video, but that's another topic). Your method is exactly the way I do it. Starting with straight lines changed to curves will give the cleanest final product.

No autotrace will be as precise and clean. On some stuff that isn't crucial or will just be used once, autotrace is fine. But for a logo that is going to have multiple applications, hand tracing is the only way.

Hah me too, lines first, fit curves next, I though it was just me being slow.
I'm left handed so I have my curve shortcuts assigned to the lower right hand keyboard keys (curve, smooth, line, cusp) so I don't have to mouse to the toolbars or pull downs.

Good show

wayne k
guam usa

Johnny Best

That was certainly an impressive manual redraw, and I am sure many envy the skill demonstrated. I am sure it has taken many hours of practice to reach such a level of proficiency. I have used Corel since version 2, and considered myself to be pretty good, but could never reach that speed. For those who have not yet reached that level, Graphic Tracer fits nicely into the work flow and can help fill that gap producing results that can be used in any application. With little training, this logo can be reproduced in around 3 minutes. I realize there are some who will always want to "trash" programs like this... All I can say is, "a person needs to use what works best for them".
How to Convert a Two Color Bitmap Logo into a Production Ready Vector Graphic Using Graphic Tracer - YouTube

Very impressive software.

Morph1

Print all
Because I want to and I can. The only reasons to do anything. All else is rationalization.
This morph1 specimen puts me in mind of the sort that, if you told it that elephant tusks and piano keys were both ivory it would just naturally assume that elephant tusks were made from piano keys. Moreover being prolific and being any good at something are two very different and totally unrelated things.

Bob, you seem like a fairly smart guy but the way you approach others seems very out of touch, perhaps if you used a bit of a different tone and better choice words you would get the respect and attention that you are craving , you do not seem to understand the concept of proper and detailed artwork, you still insist on the autotrace, maybe I can send you the logo file I was working from and you produce a perfectly redrawn vector graphic under an hour, I would love to see it. Bob where I reside they use router tables and cnc machines, it seems like you're still selling signs cut with jigsaw and painted with enamel.
I already explained the importance of the precise path of the outer edge and it will be counterproductive to repeat myself.

I thank everyone that enjoyed the vid, once again, the purpose of this video was to show corel draw in action utilizing my own method of reproduction, I am happy to hear that other designers also use similar method with drawing straight lines first then curve editing last, I wanted to add that drawing this way also gives me a full control of how many nodes I'm placing into each segment which produces a cleaner and easier to work with vector art. I always wanted to record a vid like this one and I finally accomplished it, corel draw is a powerful vector application with a great and user friendly interface, although we got corel x8 out I am still working with x6 which I find faster and more reliable...

Regarding that trace program, it seems like a nice tool , I really like the font match feature, I may give it a go in the future, thanks for sharing.

Well back to work, today is a busy day.

Greetings from Northern Canada !

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob, you seem like a fairly smart guy but the way you approach others seems very out of touch, perhaps if you used a bit of a different tone and better choice words you would get the respect and attention that you are craving..

When it's your turn to post you get to say whatever you what in whatever words it might please you to use. When it's my trun to post I get to say what I want using whatever words it might please me to use. You do not get to choose my words. If what I say or how I say it disturbs your delicate sensibilities then you delicate sensibilities will be upset. Always an entertaining bonus.

I crave nothing. Some do not suffer fools gladly, I do not suffer fools at all.

...you do not seem to understand the concept of proper and detailed artwork, you still insist on the autotrace, maybe I can send you the logo file I was working from and you produce a perfectly redrawn vector graphic under an hour, I would love to see it. Bob where I reside they use router tables and cnc machines, it seems like you're still selling signs cut with jigsaw and painted with enamel.

I insist on nothing. When I need words put into my mouth I'll be the one to place them there. Not you or anyone else. To the subject at hand, it would appear from your expositions that I've forgotten more about it that you're ever likely to know. Even here in the hinterland we also have such automata to which you refer. But the difference between us it that, if necessary, I can indeed hand letter a sign with enamels and, if needs be, contour cut the results. But with a Cutawl, not a, shudder, jigsaw. Without close inspection you couldn't tell the difference.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have yet to find a program that can autotrace files well enough to meet my standards. The only exceptions are high res organic images where accuracy is not critical. 95% of the artwork sent to me would never autotrace properly.

Johnny Best

When it's your turn to post you get to say whatever you what in whatever words it might please you to use. When it's my trun to post I get to say what I want using whatever words it might please me to use. You do not get to choose my words. If what I say or how I say it disturbs your delicate sensibilities then you delicate sensibilities will be upset. Always an entertaining bonus.

I crave nothing. Some do not suffer fools gladly, I do not suffer fools at all.

I insist on nothing. When I need words put into my mouth I'll be the one to place them there. Not you or anyone else. To the subject at hand, it would appear from your expositions that I've forgotten more about it that you're ever likely to know. Even here in the hinterland we also have such automata to which you refer. But the difference between us it that, if necessary, I can indeed hand letter a sign with enamels and, if needs be, contour cut the results. But with a Cutawl, not a, shudder, jigsaw. Without close inspection you couldn't tell the difference.

Your preaching to a choir member bob preaching.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If someone shows me respect or at least makes sense when grilling me..... or someone else, I don't need to see their credentials, if they make sense. In most cases, an accomplished person needs not play the "show 'n tell" show to prove themselves. However, if the words hurt ones feelings, then don't read the stuff. When you're pulled over for speeding or some other senseless act, do you ask to see the officer's credentials if he starts giving you a tongue lashing ?? That's what I thought.

I rather enjoy bob's responses. For the most part, they make sense while they don't lower him to the level of most around here whose comprehension is about nil on anyone's scale. Sometimes a single, well chosen word is more greatly appreciated by a type person who understands words and language. Guess it gets lost around here, especially with the new clientele pouring in lately.

Oh, and by the way, I've actually seen some of bob's work posted on this site. Guess some of you just aren't all that observant as well as comprehensively challenged.​

Then again, I guess I don't have 1/2 a brain, huh ??

:pops_blinking:

WildWestDesigns

If someone shows me respect or at least makes sense when grilling me..... or someone else, I don't need to see their credentials, if they make sense. In most cases, an accomplished person needs not play the "show 'n tell" show to prove themselves.

This is going to depend on the situation.

If someone says do "x" because of reasons 1, 2, and 3. That's one thing. It's up to the other person to say, "no, because of x, y, and z.".

If, however, the person says do "x" because of my experience or my vast amount of knowledge or in some way is making themselves an "authority" on the topic, then their bona fides is definitely required. What makes them an expert etc?

I'm not saying which applies here, just be aware of when what is needed etc.

When you're pulled over for speeding or some other senseless act, do you ask to see the officer's credentials if he starts giving you a tongue lashing ?? That's what I thought.

No, there is no need to ask to see their credentials. That is what the badge and uniform is for. If an officer is in an unmarked car in plain clothes, then I would most certainly ask to see his credentials. Why wouldn't I? He could be anyone. Sorry, but that analogy is terrible. But since "that's what you thought", you must be right.

And I won't say you're wrong, but if you've seen this work you speak of, I'd sure like to see a link to it. I've been a member here for over 5 years and I know I personally have never seen any. I just see an egotistical troll in dire need of attention.

WildWestDesigns

If an officer is in an unmarked car in plain clothes, then I would most certainly ask to see his credentials. Why wouldn't I? He could be anyone. Sorry, but that analogy is terrible. But since "that's what you thought", you must be right.

A couple of yrs ago, there seemed to be a whole slew of this going on around here. People pretending to be plain clothes cops.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WildWest, I totally get what you are talking about, but we're talking sign reconstruction of a design and the ability to re-create something one way or the other. Nothing rocket science about it. I can do it in 50 minutes or I can do it in 35 minutes. Who really gives a rat's a$$ ?? We're not splitting atoms and if someone can't or won't understand the insignificance of this thread, then they shouldn't be driving an automobile. They shouldn't even use sharp objects. The difference of knowing or determining when someone does or does not know what they are talking about is about the size of a pubby hair. This place has deteriorated to arguing about how to trace something or make a working file. This is something some of us have been doing for decades..... and I might add, rather proficiently.

The senseless bullsh!t of these threads in recent months is horrible. Do you see any real sign conversations happening ?? I don't. Have you read a good thread on sign construction, fabrications, neon bending, welding, business sense or any other thing related to the sign INDUSTRY ?? I haven't. What's this font, what makes this look in my print, where do I get free help or free fonts or free everything, but charge the customer as much as I can without giving it away to a competitor or leave any money on the table ?? Should I build a table ?? What is this ?? Oops, I don't know how to download a picture onto this site. Not to mention the dumbest conversations, fights and ego battles on the planet. Talk about cybercrap....... this place has gone bonkers. It's filled with hobbyists and the place has always been for the sign professionals. What gives ??

It's not this thread..... it's everything and there's no place to discuss it anymore. As soon as someone gets serious about something, unless it's about nothing, it gets torn to shreds.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing/nobody here to help or even try to help anymore. It's a joke. I used to be proud to be a part of the largest sign forum in the world. Well, it ain't that anymore, that's for sure.

My apologies to the OP, I did not mean to derail your thread, but I think it started about 25 posts ago, anyway.

:thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, there is no need to ask to see their credentials. That is what the badge and uniform is for. If an officer is in an unmarked car in plain clothes, then I would most certainly ask to see his credentials. Why wouldn't I? He could be anyone. Sorry, but that analogy is terrible. But since "that's what you thought", you must be right.

You don't ask because you're f*ckin' scared. He's also, right in your face. If he was on the internet, you'd tell him to f*ck off, too and you know you would. It might be terrible, but it is true.

And I won't say you're wrong, but if you've seen this work you speak of, I'd sure like to see a link to it. I've been a member here for over 5 years and I know I personally have never seen any. I just see an egotistical troll in dire need of attention.
And now you want me to do your work and locate this stuff ?? I ain't your boy. Do it yourself if you're so H*ll bent on this silly sh!t.

Same ol' same ol'. Cyber muscles like all the other wannabees. I don't have a dog in any of these fights lately, but it's getting to be just like the politics in this country..... no frickin' respect for anyone. So just be prepared.

juan.runnells

Production Manager Wide Format
Hi , great point, to answer your question , it is faster and it gives me more control to smooth the curves individually, this is the process I adopted long time ago and I stick to my guns, I do work in illustrator as well on occasion , but anything like this logo redraw I can do much faster in corel than illustrator, not saying illustrator is a bad vector application , it's just my own preference.
I agree, I can retrace any logo in Corel draw using straight lines and the convert all the nodes to curve and go in and modify much faster than you can in Illustrator.

It's just a difference in how nodes are manipulated between the programs. If your provided a scan or a poor quality jpeg of a logo the trace function does a reasonable job, but involves more editing and simplifying of nodes than tracing with lines and then modifying.

But I've had years of practice from an embroidery background where people blink at you and stare funilly when you ask them for a vector file

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk