• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for laminator recommendation

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Our old laminator has been here longer than I have. It seems to have no brand or manual, and it's starting to fall apart. It's the only one I've ever used, so I don't even know if when it was new, it was a nice expensive one or totally cheapo.. There's no heating element or air compression. I'm including some pictures of it. Anybody recognize this thing? What have I been working with all this time, and what do I have to look forward to now that we're buying a new one?
Also hoping someone here may have a more modern version of a similar laminator you can recommend? I don't think we're trying to switch over to the table kind unless there's a strong case to be made for it. We laminate a variety of mostly 54" medias weekly, sometimes daily. We're a small business, so not trying to spend the craziest of money, but we're also a very busy print shop and we run a lot of yards of super expensive vehicle wrap media through it every week, so we are prepared to invest in good equipment.
Any insights or advice are much appreciated!

Attachments

• lam pic 3.jpg
    lam pic 3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 532
  • lam pic1.jpg
    lam pic1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 192
  • lam pic2.jpg
    lam pic2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 169
  • lam pic4.jpg
    lam pic4.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 199

Drip Dry

Our old laminator has been here longer than I have. It seems to have no brand or manual, and it's starting to fall apart. It's the only one I've ever used, so I don't even know if when it was new, it was a nice expensive one or totally cheapo.. There's no heating element or air compression. I'm including some pictures of it. Anybody recognize this thing? What have I been working with all this time, and what do I have to look forward to now that we're buying a new one?
Also hoping someone here may have a more modern version of a similar laminator you can recommend? I don't think we're trying to switch over to the table kind unless there's a strong case to be made for it. We laminate a variety of mostly 54" medias weekly, sometimes daily. We're a small business, so not trying to spend the craziest of money, but we're also a very busy print shop and we run a lot of yards of super expensive vehicle wrap media through it every week, so we are prepared to invest in good equipment.
Any insights or advice are much appreciated!
GFP Laminator one of the best investments I've made
Hot and cold but I never used the hot option. Has a take-up but never used it
It was about 6K 10 years ago

KEYSER SOZE

Get a Kala Mistral.
We laminate a fair amount of cast wrap vinyl (5-6 rolls a week) with zero failures and beautiful results.
With the unique loading path for the printed vinyl there's only 200mm of wastage at the beginning, then you can confidently laminate a full 50 metre roll with no drift at all, every time.
The lift and lowering of the rollers is by electric motors with a self levelling function.
We've had a few laminators in the past 20 years, from complete dogs (Royal Sovereign - we sent it back), to some quite expensive good machines (Seal and Neolt), but none of them are as foolproof as the Kala.
They aren't cheap, but still affordable and very nicely put together (made in France).
We're getting a second one shortly.

Attachments

• Kala Mistral 1600.jpg
    Kala Mistral 1600.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 206

karst41

If I were buying a new laminator, I would get the GFP 54".
Top Heat assist.

Rear Take up is am option,, you need rear take up.
GFP also has slitter option.

Roll loading and off loading is important.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
+1 for the Kayla. We upgraded from our old royal sovereign several years ago, and I really like the Kayla.

rjssigns

I'm looking at the ebay rigs. There's a 1600 model with air assist and the Qomolongma(spelling?). 99% of laminators are made in China anyway and I don't feel like spending 7 or 8 grand. The few reviews I found on either one aren't complaining about them. Who knows?

I need to do something since I wore the crown off the top roll of my RS. Once I get through this big job I may see about getting the top roll ground but then I'm without.

FCDsigns

I have an AGL. Solid machine, basically a tank. More expensive than the throw away machines but has and should out last several of them.
Made in Wisconsin, USA. Advanced Greig Laminators - look them up.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm looking at the ebay rigs. There's a 1600 model with air assist and the Qomolongma(spelling?). 99% of laminators are made in China anyway and I don't feel like spending 7 or 8 grand. The few reviews I found on either one aren't complaining about them. Who knows?

I need to do something since I wore the crown off the top roll of my RS. Once I get through this big job I may see about getting the top roll ground but then I'm without.
They will get the job done. I think most screwups with lamination are operator related more than machine. Some are probably easier than others but if you know what you are doing you can make anything work. I would never buy a laminator without a takeup reel on it.

rjssigns

They will get the job done. I think most screwups with lamination are operator related more than machine. Some are probably easier than others but if you know what you are doing you can make anything work. I would never buy a laminator without a takeup reel on it.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at all options right now, but it's hard to pay double for a GFP when a Qomolongma looks identical down to the paint and controls.

rjssigns

I have an AGL. Solid machine, basically a tank. More expensive than the throw away machines but has and should out last several of them.
Made in Wisconsin, USA. Advanced Greig Laminators - look them up.
Nice bit of kit, but at my age spending $18000.00 on their base rig ain't gonna happen.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
UPDATE: We ended up going with the Gfp 350 TH. Super excited to start using it but currently stuck on a setup step. This could totally be a bonehead user error thing, many of these GFP components are new to me but I'm currently stumped. The groove doesn't line up with the opening of the cradle that the bottom supply shaft is supposed to go in. Same with the rear rewind shaft. The tongue can't get to the groove. Maybe you can adjust from the inside? I attempted to open up the side panel, which they say you should do on both sides when you get a new machine, to confirm no wires were disrupted during delivery. But on the left side, all four of the knobs for the brakes and clutch don't want to come off. In the instructional video on the Gfp site, they appear to unscrew and come right off, but these loosen, and come out so far, but the knobs won't come off, making it impossible to remove the side panel. What am I missing?
Pictures below. If my description is confusing at all, there's one pic that shows really clearly the two back cradles, the upper one with a perfectly lined up shaft for context, and the lower one with the issue.
Any insights or tips are super appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpg
    IMG_4610.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 134

Bryce I

I'm Brie
I recommend the GFP line of laminators we have 3 now and would never switch again. We used to have GBC and Seal and they broke, these GFP just keep on trucking.
Our favorites are the GFP563th, but the base model is fine also and not all that different.
We got one! Stoked on the purchase, but stuck on a step, described below. any tips would be much appreciated

jfiscus

Rap Master
If that's the same one we use a masking machine I just asked and looked and only one "end" of the machines is keyed and the other end is not keyed.
The rolls have the matching tab at either end so they can load either way.
Put the roll tab into the keyed end and then put it into the non-keyed one since it just goes in at any angle. No need to adjust anything.
You don't put both ends in/out at the same time, you always do one side/end at a time.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
If I were buying a new laminator, I would get the GFP 54".
Top Heat assist.

Rear Take up is am option,, you need rear take up.
GFP also has slitter option.

Roll loading and off loading is important.

If that's the same one we use a masking machine I just asked and looked and only one "end" of the machines is keyed and the other end is not keyed.
The rolls have the matching tab at either end so they can load either way.
Put the roll tab into the keyed end and then put it into the non-keyed one since it just goes in at any angle. No need to adjust anything.
You don't put both ends in/out at the same time, you always do one side/end at a time.
whelp there it is thank you!

InkHead

UPDATE: We ended up going with the Gfp 350 TH. Super excited to start using it but currently stuck on a setup step. This could totally be a bonehead user error thing, many of these GFP components are new to me but I'm currently stumped. The groove doesn't line up with the opening of the cradle that the bottom supply shaft is supposed to go in. Same with the rear rewind shaft. The tongue can't get to the groove. Maybe you can adjust from the inside? I attempted to open up the side panel, which they say you should do on both sides when you get a new machine, to confirm no wires were disrupted during delivery. But on the left side, all four of the knobs for the brakes and clutch don't want to come off. In the instructional video on the Gfp site, they appear to unscrew and come right off, but these loosen, and come out so far, but the knobs won't come off, making it impossible to remove the side panel. What am I missing?
Pictures below. If my description is confusing at all, there's one pic that shows really clearly the two back cradles, the upper one with a perfectly lined up shaft for context, and the lower one with the issue.
Any insights or tips are super appreciated!
Just turn it with your finger or a flat head screwdriver until you get the tongue in.

netsol

Premium Subscriber

Did you have a machin e shop resurface the roller?
Curious what it cost, and were you happy with the results?

By the way, id you also do bottom roller?

rjssigns

Did you have a machin e shop resurface the roller?
Curious what it cost, and were you happy with the results?

By the way, id you also do bottom roller?
Haven't done anything yet. I would also need to talk to Roll-Tec to see if it's cost effective.

Gary1

I know 99% of things today are made in China. I did look at the Chinese laminators. They look nice and the prices are very reasonable. But how long will they last? And will they be trouble free and will they give you support, will parts be readily available? More to consider than price alone. I had an RS 1400 for 10 years now. It works fine. No real issues with it. I searched and highly recommended was the GFP from this site. I bought the GFP 563TH 4RS model. Yes it’s made in China but specked out by GFP.
That’s the difference and parts and support are in the states. The salesman told me it was made in USA and I said no. He didn’t believe me until he found out on his own. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. It’s your lively hood. Respect that. This laminator is going for 10-11 k today. Haven’t assembled it yet. Cleaning up the shop and making room first, but I know I will enjoy it! Good luck with your decision!