• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Polycarbonate sheet - white .500"

SignProPlus-Chip

We are quoting a job and they are requesting .500" thick White Lexan for the sign faces.

Any suppliers I have called do NOT carry it in that thickness, and they need several weeks lead time as well....it's also about $900 for a 4x8 sheet.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

SignProPlus-Chip

I just confirmed with the client they definitely want LEXAN.

I have called half a dozed plastic distributor and no such animal exists. I can get clear, but not white. It's also 4 times more expensive than the acrylic.

Anyone know anywhere else to check for this stuff?

letterman7

I think you missed the point. 1/2" (.500") isn't used for sign faces, at least none that I've ever seen. 3/16" or 1/4" maybe, if the face is large enough. But 1/2".... never.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they want 1/2", but will the cabinet accept 1/2" faces ??

Now, if you were getting this for the Pope Mobile, I'd understand.

SignProPlus-Chip

I didn't miss the point...the CLIENT wants LEXAN. They just don't know or fully understand the use of the materials.

However, I just need a source to price the stuff. but .500" white doesn't seem to exist, except via special order with an 8 week lead time.

Team Valhalla

Have you tried Laird Plastics? They have distribution warehouses across the country, so you could call any office and they would take care of you.

If you haven't... here's a number for them 330-733-9595.

SP

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I never mentioned a cabinet. ;)

This is a post mounted sign face with a printed graphic applied to it.

Okay, my bad, but when you mentioned sign faces, all indication goes towards an electric cabinet with sign faces. You played a little trick on us....... teehee

How do you intend to mount a 1/2" piece of 4' x 8' to posts and might I ask.... what kind of posts and do you realize how heavy this thing is gonna be ??

SignProPlus-Chip

Yes....I think you (or the client) did.

They may want lexan (which I would suggest using anyways) but they sure as hell don't want/need HALF INCH THICK!

The reason you're running into problems sourcing the material is that it is very uncommon to use 1/2 lexan especially white. How much light would come through that thick of a sheet even? :help

Pat...Believe me, I know this...it's the client end of it for sure.

I have worked with all manner of plastics in the past, I know the difference between Acrylic and Polycarb etc...I know what could or should be used here. However, the .500" requirements are part of the bid.

How do you submit a bid to a client, when their specs contain an item that does not exist?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
absolute wrong application.

just because they spec, it don't make it right...

teach them, stop following the sheep in front of you....

CanuckSigns

Pat...Believe me, I know this...it's the client end of it for sure.

I have worked with all manner of plastics in the past, I know the difference between Acrylic and Polycarb etc...I know what could or should be used here. However, the .500" requirements are part of the bid.

How do you submit a bid to a client, when their specs contain an item that does not exist?

If they are putting this out to tender, I can guarantee you that another shop is quoting different materials! I would call the client and ask if they have heard back from any of the other bidders about difficulty finding 0.5" white lexan, if not you know they aren't bidding on it!

I've lost track of how may times I quoted jobs as per the specs and lost the job, only to drive by 2 months later and have the finished product not even be close to the specs. We had one job spec 1" thick cast aluminum letters from gemini, lost the job by a HUGE margin, drove by and it was plastic Minnesota letters painted silver.

royster13

However, I just need a source to price the stuff. but .500" white doesn't seem to exist, except via special order with an 8 week lead time.

But you said it does exist and can be special ordered......I am not understanding they the problem is......

petepaz

that thickness is not common so i think it's going to be a special order no matter where you get it. the idea of mounting 2 - 1/4" pieces together might be your quickest answer. you can try emco plastics, ask for martin. they might be able to help but they are in jersey so shipping could be an cost issue. i have learned even though they may not be right sometimes you have to give the customer what they are asking for and let them learn by their mistake. then you charge them for another order, all the while in your head you are saying "i told you so".

Billct2

You did say you found the amterial for $900 with a 2-3 week lead time right?
So quote it using those parameters.
The give an alternate quote using what you would recommend.
Let them decide.

SignProPlus-Chip

But you said it does exist and can be special ordered......I am not understanding they the problem is......

Minimum order of 42 sheets, expensive and a 4-7 week wait. Job needs to be done before that. I should have stated that as a STANDARD item, this does not exist.

You did say you found the amterial for $900 with a 2-3 week lead time right?
So quote it using those parameters.
The give an alternate quote using what you would recommend.
Let them decide.

One bid, period....my concerns in doing this would be what watson describe below.

If they are putting this out to tender, I can guarantee you that another shop is quoting different materials! I would call the client and ask if they have heard back from any of the other bidders about difficulty finding 0.5" white lexan, if not you know they aren't bidding on it!

I've lost track of how may times I quoted jobs as per the specs and lost the job, only to drive by 2 months later and have the finished product not even be close to the specs. We had one job spec 1" thick cast aluminum letters from gemini, lost the job by a HUGE margin, drove by and it was plastic Minnesota letters painted silver.

Exactly! Also I have found some people just interchange Lexan with Acrylic indiscriminately. They think they are the same, just a different "brand" so to speak.

I have no doubt someone else will bid using the cost of acrylic, while being disingenuous and calling in Lexan on the quote....I have seen it happen. If I bid using cost for Lexan...I'll knock myself right out of the running, almost guaranteed. Everyone needs to be on even ground while bidding...what's fair is fair.

I sent off a letter to the potential client. in regard to the specifics and material choice, pro and cons of polycarb vs. acrylic. I pride myself on being able to educate the client to make sure they are getting what they want, or at least know what they are getting.

Thanks to everyone here that took the time to comment;)

Hicalibersigns

Yep that's your answer. They have asked for an esoteric material that is difficult to get, expensive and inappropriate. Give them the answer, $900.00 * your standard markup, and 8 week lead time. Now, Mr. customer here is a better, less inexpensive alternative: xxxxx.

I too don't see the problem here.

SignProPlus-Chip

that thickness is not common so i think it's going to be a special order no matter where you get it. the idea of mounting 2 - 1/4" pieces together might be your quickest answer. you can try emco plastics, ask for martin. they might be able to help but they are in jersey so shipping could be an cost issue. i have learned even though they may not be right sometimes you have to give the customer what they are asking for and let them learn by their mistake. then you charge them for another order, all the while in your head you are saying "i told you so".

Has to be solid .500" material per the specs.

There are a whole bunch of issue with using Lexan actually.

Scratches easier than acrylic
Not UV stable, will yellow - this is for outdoor use.
Over .250" thick and you don't get a white color...grayish. blueish instead.

Acrylic is definitely the best candidate for what they want...I am hoping they see that with the info I provided them.