• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lost Job but I have a Roland Versacamm VP540

HaroldDesign

You learned all about horses from a sign shop?
:ROFLMAO:

O.K.
A printer fell in your lap. Excellent! Get familiar with it. Try things, and you'll figure things out as you go along. Get a file from Illustrator (or whatever) to the rip and through the printer. You'll figure it out. Once you get comfortable with the printer & work-flow the right ideas will start coming. That may take some time! Get ready to handle frustration when it turns out to not be so easy when colors are different on various substrates and so on...
Don't let that thing go to waste. Give it a shot.

WildWestDesigns

You learned all about horses from a sign shop?

Grammar I never learned.

No, I owned/managed(and still do, just to a lesser extent) a barn for years, but I started learning to do so by working at a barn.

This started as a hobby and gradually started taking more and more time. I started doing it for myself and my advertising. A lot of people just liked my work.

Billct2

Since you "lost" you job (by which I'm assuming you mean laid off) you may be eligible
for free training, if so look into college course in graphic design that focus on learning Adobe and/or Corel. Also see if you can take some industry classes specific to your machine. Go to one of the many trade shows where you can see many machines actually working. See if you can get a full/part time job in a sign or print shop. Get some of the industry mags and read.
Good luck.

petesign

So many things I want to say, but wont. (since I am relatively new here anyway)

Welcome from Alabama. I hope your printer is in fine running condition and that you find success in your new venture. Put the best product you can out there and hopefully a loyal clientele will follow. I would recommend setting up a meeting with your local sign supply shops and have them get you some sample materials and explain what they are used for. Your local sign supply shops have a vested interest in seeing you succeed, so they are a good place to start. Then go online and read all about how other people achieve what it is you want to do.

I am not worried about competition, I try to distance myself from them by offering a well designed and thought out product at a reasonable price. If someone is going to go out and try to find the cheapest thing out there, they aren't going to a local shop anyway. Develop relationships and you will do well, cut corners and just get the customers money once, and you won't. Simple enough.

Good luck!

OldPaint

And you all condemned me for welcoming these people without any of the rubbish you're all dishing out to this guy.

I just don't get it ?? :banghead:

as an old BRUSH & PAINT signmaker............iam sittin here LMAO at the "printer only people"..........DISIN this guy for doin WHAT THEY DID))))))) and it just proves the point, all you need to become a sign maker.......... NOW, is a printer.
ITS THAT EASY!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

Marlene

Since you "lost" you job (by which I'm assuming you mean laid off) you may be eligible
for free training, if so look into college course in graphic design that focus on learning Adobe and/or Corel. Also see if you can take some industry classes specific to your machine. Go to one of the many trade shows where you can see many machines actually working. See if you can get a full/part time job in a sign or print shop. Get some of the industry mags and read.
Good luck.

that is some good advice. you may able to get some training. look into it and best of luck.

iSign

And you all condemned me for welcoming these people without any of the rubbish you're all dishing out to this guy.

I just don't get it ?? :banghead:

...look out the window Gino, look at the people... see all the smiling faces?

...now drive to the worst neighborhood.. see the people looking at you now?

...they ain't smiling!

...get it yet?

iSign

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I do know basic design using Corel Draw. Just to start out the only thing that is stopping me is how to make banner using my Roland Versacamm and do I need a laminator? When printing banner how do I make sure that the vinyl does not misalign from the printer (that is leaving equal white border around the print area) because when I'm printing vinyl for the shirts they tend to misalign after like 3ft.

this troll is playing us folks.. or any of us falling for it anyway...
it's so ingrained into his ploy to sound stupid about banners, that he uses perfect English until he mentions "banner", and the phony stupidity is subconsciously written in through intentional grammatical errors...

someone mentioned his join date 14 months ago... I don't know if he learned to make banners in that time (or if he already knew then) ...but he clearly learned all the right hot buttons to get negative attention around here:omg:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i'm betting there is a member out there who adds new members every month or so, just to bang out a silly thread just like this. hit and run fishing derby.....

reach back into his pocket of alias' and drop a loaded turd thread....

Last edited:

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
If you're not committed to eating, breathing and sleeping the sign business 24/7 for at least the next 12 months, forget it... you'll be worse of than you are now. You have to make that commitment.

:goodpost:

AGREED - If it doesn't become your life - then you aren't doing it right. Driving down the road, signs in front of you should no longer look like signs, rather the materials they are made of (kinda like the end of the first matrix movie). It should and will consume your mind if you are doing it right!!!

Oh and as you are learning, expect to have A LOT of wasted materials and failed attempts. Learning from experience is rough but it will be true lessons learned.