• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

low humidity/ static electricity issue with Roland TRuvis VG2 540

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
jeff,
i have never used one of those, but i was going to buy one

from your experience, do they work?

i am sure it is not a technology the chinese can copy for $65
The handheld one has its limits . One must keep it away from the printer and only hit the vinyl or you could damage the printer circuit boards I’ve been told . My buddy spent a few hundred dollars on a wall mounted one that does his whole shop and it works very well ( eBay)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I carry dryer sheets with me as a quick fix for static. Other than that I would never put a printer on carpet and I would have a humidifier going.

WEC production

I carry dryer sheets with me as a quick fix for static. Other than that I would never put a printer on carpet and I would have a humidifier going.
I have dryer sheets... they did nothing.. I had a small humidifier next to the machine... it did nothing. So I have a static cord I will install today, and the steam humidifier will be up and running this afternoon. Fingers crossed I get some resolution here. I will keep you all posted on the progress. I really appreciate everybody's advise and help. Hopefully, I will have some answers for other in this situation!

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I have dryer sheets... they did nothing.. I had a small humidifier next to the machine... it did nothing. So I have a static cord I will install today, and the steam humidifier will be up and running this afternoon. Fingers crossed I get some resolution here. I will keep you all posted on the progress. I really appreciate everybody's advise and help. Hopefully, I will have some answers for other in this situation!
as i said, at least 10 gallons a day, until you get in range.

a small humidifier is like taking a 1/10th of an aspirin if you have a migraine

you need to boil some water (hotplate?) and about the time you see the stock pot empty THE SECOND TIME the problem will disappear

have you asked your tech (or roland tech support) if your model is unusually susceptible to static problems?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
remember, every time the heat runs you are burning off more humidity out of the air in that room & getting further away from normal

your problem may not go away until you are over 50% RH

WEC production

as i said, at least 10 gallons a day, until you get in range.

a small humidifier is like taking a 1/10th of an aspirin if you have a migraine

you need to boil some water (hotplate?) and about the time you see the stock pot empty THE SECOND TIME the problem will disappear

have you asked your tech (or roland tech support) if your model is unusually susceptible to static problems?
yes.. they say the TR2 inks are more sensitive to static.. however I know people here in town running the same inks and have no issue whatsoever.. tech is finally coming tomorrow after nearly 3 months of fighting this

Troy Lesher

Does anybody have any suggestion for " low humidity" causing print quality issues banding and streaking both directions. I am in Wyoming where the humidity is low, and I have not found a material or setting that will print any usable graphics.
Fella by the name of Dave Creshshaw 704-309-7241 sells shop sized humidification systems, give him a call tell him your shop size and other details, and he can recommend a system to keep your shop at the optimal Humidification. Also Kenyence makes very good Static Neutralization products

WEC production

Fella by the name of Dave Creshshaw 704-309-7241 sells shop sized humidification systems, give him a call tell him your shop size and other details, and he can recommend a system to keep your shop at the optimal Humidification. Also Kenyence makes very good Static Neutralization products
Rock on! thank you! I will see how the humidifier I have being installed goes.. then he's my next outlet to contact!! much appreciated

WEC production

where is this Dave Creshshaw located (which state)?

weyandsign

What does Roland think the problem is? I would bypass the tech and email Roland directly and send them photos of the problem. I have low humidity and static and TR2 ink and still have great prints.

WEC production

What does Roland think the problem is? I would bypass the tech and email Roland directly and send them photos of the problem. I have low humidity and static and TR2 ink and still have great prints.
I have been dealing with both the tech and Roland directly. Roland is the one insistent on the humidity being the issue. I'm not sold on the humidity being the issue, but they won't look past that or send anybody until the humidity is within range of what they want 35%-80%! Right now I'm at 18%. I have talked to another printer in this area that says same thing you did... low humidity, TR2 inks, and no issues.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I have been dealing with both the tech and Roland directly. Roland is the one insistent on the humidity being the issue. I'm not sold on the humidity being the issue, but they won't look past that or send anybody until the humidity is within range of what they want 35%-80%! Right now I'm at 18%. I have talked to another printer in this area that says same thing you did... low humidity, TR2 inks, and no issues.
it is certainly a symptom commonly related to humidity.
i have seen shops with the humidity lower than your, printing with no problems
LUCK OF THE DRAW
that's why i said boil some (quite a bit) of water and see if it goes away

i don't know your machine, it could be some kind of static discharge brush inside the vinyl path that isn't grounded. it could have to do with the formulation of the inks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

As a tech, every single time I've mentioned environmental factors the customer pushes back. The truth is, netsol is right. Different machines can act differently even in the same room sometimes. It's worth it to try to get at least to the lower lever of the humidity spec. It will either fix your issue or get them to move on to something else. Most techs want to rule out the obvious first before getting deep into it.

WEC production

As a tech, every single time I've mentioned environmental factors the customer pushes back. The truth is, netsol is right. Different machines can act differently even in the same room sometimes. It's worth it to try to get at least to the lower lever of the humidity spec. It will either fix your issue or get them to move on to something else. Most techs want to rule out the obvious first before getting deep into it.
I'm sure.. I did....truth is the humidifier is now running I'm up to 30% today from 16% and quality does seem to be improving.. still not great but better.. so I'm not sure if we are eliminating issues or creating more. Tech will be here today to help problem solve. Again thank you all for advise and opinions. This is a great forum for help and conversation.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
WEC
up to 30% is still well into the range that can cause that problem
you sound like me when my blood pressure was 214/182 and i insisted they release me, because it was higher when i came in

if your issue was starting now, and you said the humidity was 30% everyone would agree that this was causing your problem

you have a losing combination (for whatever reason, don't kill the messenger) your room, your inks, your machine. as i said, it could be as simple as a missing ground deep in the bowels of the machine, we may never know, because no one is going to spend the time to diagnose. i know i repeat myself, but it is really for your benefit. BOIL A LARGE POT OF WATER. once the issue is happening it will take a huge swing of the pendulum, the other way to end the cycle.

how many days printing have you missed? we are all on your side and want to see you printing, but you have to make the effort. get that humidity to 45% and you will be able to laugh about this ,and all the time we wasted getting back to normal

WEC production

WEC
up to 30% is still well into the range that can cause that problem
you sound like me when my blood pressure was 214/182 and i insisted they release me, because it was higher when i came in

if your issue was starting now, and you said the humidity was 30% everyone would agree that this was causing your problem

you have a losing combination (for whatever reason, don't kill the messenger) your room, your inks, your machine. as i said, it could be as simple as a missing ground deep in the bowels of the machine, we may never know, because no one is going to spend the time to diagnose. i know i repeat myself, but it is really for your benefit. BOIL A LARGE POT OF WATER. once the issue is happening it will take a huge swing of the pendulum, the other way to end the cycle.

how many days printing have you missed? we are all on your side and want to see you printing, but you have to make the effort. get that humidity to 45% and you will be able to laugh about this ,and all the time we wasted getting back to normal
I am doing what I can... I had a steam humidifier installed into my vent system..I have not been able to print since I got the machine... over 2 months now. I am hoping the humidifier I have installed will get me up to 40%.. I think that is about the max we gain here in Wyoming..as I said we are typically around 15%-18% ... haven't had a normal been quality issues since day 1

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I am doing what I can... I had a steam humidifier installed into my vent system..I have not been able to print since I got the machine... over 2 months now. I am hoping the humidifier I have installed will get me up to 40%.. I think that is about the max we gain here in Wyoming..as I said we are typically around 15%-18% ... haven't had a normal been quality issues since day 1
so the machine NEVER printed properly? i kind of assumed this was triggered by the onset of heating season. it makes me suspicious there could be some sort of issue with your machine, making it more susceptible to this type of problem, perhaps as a result of vibration or bouncing during delivery. was there any unusual disassembly/reassembly? (perhaps to get through a smaller door?) at this point the manufacturer and the servicing dealer bears a little responsibility. to my thinking, they should at least notify your leasing company that the machine has not "come online" and is not fulfilling their end of the bargain. at the least, your payments (as well as your warranty period) should not begin yet.) i sure this is not what you want, you just want to print normally

i am not going to read through this entire thread again, right now, but, have you tried a range of materials to print on? just to see if some print closer to normally?
we have to consider the possibility that this machine may not be able to function normally without turning this into a engineering project for your HVAC contractor.
the dealer who sold you the machine must have considerable experience with this series of machine, in your environment, over a number of years. what have they said about how often they see something like this?

WEC production

so the machine NEVER printed properly? i kind of assumed this was triggered by the onset of heating season. it makes me suspicious there could be some sort of issue with your machine, making it more susceptible to this type of problem, perhaps as a result of vibration or bouncing during delivery. was there any unusual disassembly/reassembly? (perhaps to get through a smaller door?) at this point the manufacturer and the servicing dealer bears a little responsibility. to my thinking, they should at least notify your leasing company that the machine has not "come online" and is not fulfilling their end of the bargain. at the least, your payments (as well as your warranty period) should not begin yet.) i sure this is not what you want, you just want to print normally

i am not going to read through this entire thread again, right now, but, have you tried a range of materials to print on? just to see if some print closer to normally?
we have to consider the possibility that this machine may not be able to function normally without turning this into a engineering project for your HVAC contractor.
the dealer who sold you the machine must have considerable experience with this series of machine, in your environment, over a number of years. what have they said about how often they see something like this?
No not really, was printing ok at set up.. but thought it was more of a media profile issue. since then i have all the correct profiles for a variety of media, all with the the same result. the HVAC guys say this is the best way to raise humidity in our climate/region (the steam humidifier). and i agree with you.. the sales person should know the climate and the environment they are selling machines in... especially if they are this sensitive. I have occasionally gotten perfect quality, but it is maybe 1 out of color runs of CMYK color flush. anything with cyan is banding vertical and horizontal. and so far, no one at Roland or from the company I purchased it from has said they have seen this exact situation