• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

low humidity/ static electricity issue with Roland TRuvis VG2 540

WEC production

Does anybody have any suggestion for " low humidity" causing print quality issues banding and streaking both directions. I am in Wyoming where the humidity is low, and I have not found a material or setting that will print any usable graphics.

rjssigns

Buy an ultrasonic humidifier and lots of distilled water. Fired mine up a few days ago when we the below zero temps started. Checked it the first morning we were at 43% :oops:. Running at roughly 48% right now, but ideal is 50 to 55%.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
my advice would be run right out and buy one, before your next post is about the system board or the network card blowing out after a static shock

i am cheap, of course, i would search ebay, craigslist, offerup/letgo,, & facebook marketplace first (i listed them in order of decending expected price) before i bought a brand new one

WEC production

Buy an ultrasonic humidifier and lots of distilled water. Fired mine up a few days ago when we the below zero temps started. Checked it the first morning we were at 43% :oops:. Running at roughly 48% right now, but ideal is 50 to 55%.
Appreciate the advise! I am looking to some of those options... static cords/static eliminator bars etc.. am at 20%... I have a ways to go! Luckily, I have a heating cooling company next door. they are going to install a humidifier in the vest system. but I don't know if I will ever hit over 30% here in Wyoming??

WEC production

my advice would be run right out and buy one, before your next post is about the system board or the network card blowing out after a static shock

i am cheap, of course, i would search ebay, craigslist, offerup/letgo,, & facebook marketplace first (i listed them in order of decending expected price) before i bought a brand new one
what size would you recommend? I have a couple little humidifiers in the shop now... they don't much

netsol

Premium Subscriber
in a perfect world get a big one. in the old days, before there were good electronic measuring devices, they used to tell you raise it all the way up, then back off till the windows don't have condensation on them. that may be overdoing it, but remember humidity holds heat. the building doesn't get cold as quickly, feels more comfortable and protects your equipment.

the electronic stuff is in danger if you are walking on carpet, mostly

every time you feel a shock, it is a tiny discharge of over 2000 volts (no wonder it is so destructive)

WEC production

in a perfect world get a big one. in the old days, before there were good electronic measuring devices, they used to tell you raise it all the way up, then back off till the windows don't have condensation on them. that may be overdoing it, but remember humidity holds heat. the building doesn't get cold as quickly, feels more comfortable and protects your equipment.

the electronic stuff is in danger if you are walking on carpet, mostly

every time you feel a shock, it is a tiny discharge of over 2000 volts (no wonder it is so destructive)
Yeah, I have wood floors I will do some searching. Thank you!

rjssigns

Appreciate the advise! I am looking to some of those options... static cords/static eliminator bars etc.. am at 20%... I have a ways to go! Luckily, I have a heating cooling company next door. they are going to install a humidifier in the vest system. but I don't know if I will ever hit over 30% here in Wyoming??
Nice, definitely on the right track.
HVAC contractor should be able to do the calcs for current conditions. It will most likely be a steam injection unit. There are also wall mount steam units. Either way they should know how to size the system.

WEC production

Nice, definitely on the right track.
HVAC contractor should be able to do the calcs for current conditions. It will most likely be a steam injection unit. There are also wall mount steam units. Either way they should know how to size the system.
That is good to hear. You think that will be enough to raise the humidity and make a difference? My print quality is so bad right now I cannot print anything

netsol

Premium Subscriber
are you misting your subtrates with 91% alcohol then wiping with a microfiber cloth?

we had quite a bit of trouble last year, because i was using alcohol wipes (i love them for cleaning the printer)

then someone told me to mist the substrate, wipe with microfiber and now we never have a problem

i had the bad habit of the alcohol wipes for decades (i still clean the lower roller of my laminators with those)

rjssigns

That is good to hear. You think that will be enough to raise the humidity and make a difference? My print quality is so bad right now I cannot print anything
Talk to the contractor and tell him in very specific terms it has to work or there is no point installing anything.
Ask for specifics and go over the calcs and type of equipment.
Don't assume they are the be all end all. Some HVAC shops have a narrow focus and don't do industrial solutions.
They're not stupid it's just out of their wheelhouse.

Almost forgot. If you have high ceilings you can have a mister system installed. They are along the lines of what some restaurants have on their patios. High ceilings are a must. When the ones in the lab come on we joke you could take a shower. It's not that bad but you can feel it on your skin.

Along the lines of this:https://www.microcool.com/equipment/industrial-humidifier-fog-systems/

WEC production

are you misting your subtrates with 91% alcohol then wiping with a microfiber cloth?

we had quite a bit of trouble last year, because i was using alcohol wipes (i love them for cleaning the printer)

then someone told me to mist the substrate, wipe with microfiber and now we never have a problem

i had the bad habit of the alcohol wipes for decades (i still clean the lower roller of my laminators with those)
it's not the substrates I'm having issues with... it is the vinyl I am printing to

WEC production

18% humidity here right now. Never had any problem printing because of low humidity. Running SG-540 with TV2 inks.
crazy!! thats what I am afraid of!! that the humidity really is not the issue. I had the sg 540 in the past but just the eco solvent inks not the TV2 inks. I was told the TV2 inks are more sensitive to humidity and that is what the issue with my print quality is... and it is terrible, I cannot give to a customer! what vinyls are you printing on and what profiles... if you don't mind me asking. I have not had good quality on any vinyls... 3M 35/3M40/ aspire callendar/ GFC wall vinyl/ 2 types of banner material... no luck with anything. Where are you located?

weyandsign

Located in PA. Print on Briteline wrapcast vinyl, oracal 3551RA, Briteline IM330, and duratex banner. I use Generic Vinyl 1, Standard Quality, Halftone: Error Diffusion, Color Management Preset: Max Density US.

WEC production

Located in PA. Print on Briteline wrapcast vinyl, oracal 3551RA, Briteline IM330, and duratex banner. I use Generic Vinyl 1, Standard Quality, Halftone: Error Diffusion, Color Management Preset: Max Density US.
Thank you for the information!! I appreciate it! I have never used Briteline I will have to look in to that brand. I have always been a fan of the Oracal, and Avery products

WEC production

here are some images of the quality of print I am getting if this helps anybody come to any other conclusions

Attachments

• print quality.jpg
    print quality.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179

weyandsign

Click on the start menu, goto Versaworks, and right click on "Initialize Application" run as administrator. It will wipe out all the settings in the program, but I've seen it fix something like this before.