• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

low humidity/ static electricity issue with Roland TRuvis VG2 540

Mr. Signboy

I used to have similar problems with my VG2 and I’m in the PNW, plenty humid here most of the time.

Mine wasn’t that consistent with bands though, some days it would print ok and some days it would look like that, other times it would print fine and put a band in the middle of a large print. Unfortunately I replaced the machine before I ever figured out what it was.

Last edited:

netsol

if you don't have a kitchen (stove) at that location, buy, or borrow a hotplate, put on a large pot of water and let it boil away AT LEAST TWICE

for a small house you ideally want to add 5 gallons of water and 10 gallons a day doesn't hurt, until the humidity stabilizes

we weren't keeping up at home (top floor never does) but a 5 gallon stock pot of water boiling away solved that issue

you stop just before you get condensation on the windows

Mr. Signboy

are you misting your subtrates with 91% alcohol then wiping with a microfiber cloth?

we had quite a bit of trouble last year, because i was using alcohol wipes (i love them for cleaning the printer)

then someone told me to mist the substrate, wipe with microfiber and now we never have a problem

i had the bad habit of the alcohol wipes for decades (i still clean the lower roller of my laminators with those)
Do you wipe off the beginning of the roll or the entire time it’s printing?

netsol

beginning of roll should be ALWAYS (dust and debris can cost you a printhead)

we often had trouble with substrates being too static filled, until someone suggested misting and wiping with microfiber
this pretty much solved our issues for lamination (and they were horrible)

i would think this would be worth a try

Mr. Signboy

beginning of roll should be ALWAYS (dust and debris can cost you a printhead)

we often had trouble with substrates being too static filled, until someone suggested misting and wiping with microfiber
this pretty much solved our issues for lamination (and they were horrible)

i would think this would be worth a try
I agree, for some reason when I read your post I imagined someone wiping the media through the entire print lol.

netsol

a couple friends in the business actually do that. one has two employees who stand and mist and wipe and one who "swiffers" just ahead of the laminator

so i probably did write that, because that is what they do...

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Don't hate , it works - many years ago when visiting a buddy's shop he had this on his printers / plotters for static .
**MUST BE GROUNDED !!** I laughed because it was June and he had X-MAS tinsel on his machines but he had no static . I've be doing it ever since on mine . I have one grounded to a UPS the others to a grounding rod . "cheap fix for a major problem" he would say

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpg
    IMG_3131.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

netsol

but EVERY CONNECTION IN THE USA, ACCORDING TO CODE, has been grounded since 1970

grounding is good, and necessary but not really applicable to what is going on here.

if you have ungrounded outlets, ground them, but that does not provide the kind of protection we are talking about

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
but EVERY CONNECTION IN THE USA, ACCORDING TO CODE, has been grounded since 1970

grounding is good, and necessary but not really applicable to what is going on here.

if you have ungrounded outlets, ground them, but that does not provide the kind of protection we are talking about
agree
the method above ( x-mas tinsel ) only reduces the static created from the vinyl traveling not the machine itself ( so many plastic parts now a days ) -

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
I almost bought one of those "anti static guns" that might be just the thing for your problem.
I've done that , I have an old static gun for vinyl LP'S ( realistic discotron electronic static eliminator )
I use it mostly for static cling and doing photo positives for a few silk screeners
ebay has many starting at $65. to thousands

netsol

I've done that , I have an old static gun for vinyl LP'S ( realistic discotron electronic static eliminator )
I use it mostly for static cling and doing photo positives for a few silk screeners
ebay has many starting at $65. to thousands
jeff,
i have never used one of those, but i was going to buy one

from your experience, do they work?

i am sure it is not a technology the chinese can copy for $65

netsol

the wife bought me a fleese jacket. there were so many sparks coming from my fingers, it looked like a highlander tv series episode

engineers will tell you, if you can see a spark, you are generating 2000 volts (very low microcurrent, of course) so it is not surprising that 5 volt electronics get damaged by it