• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maintaining shop temps

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It is harder on them, but most people treat their machines, like.... if they work, it must be good, without consideration what is actually best for them. Most people don't give a sh!t, not realizing they are shortening the life here and there and it slowly takes it's toll on these things. If you talk to your rep, they will tell you the same thing. We were told and taught how to use our different machines and that is an area which was covered by all the techs in here over the years. It's something you don't forget..... unless you determined to just go haphazardly with your money and replace sooner than need be.

When we turn the flatbed on, we make sure it warms up for 1/2 an hour before using it and that the ambient temperature is at least 60º to 65º Our heater for the entire building gets started at 6am, except on weekends, which is basically satisfactory for our needs.

netsol

the grease and lubricants thicken, (think of starting your car, on a 0 degree day)
the electronics are happier at absurdly cold temperatures.

before i was a computer consultant, i was in the commercial video business.
video tape wrapped around rotating, helical scan video heads HATE the cold temperatures

there was no bigger disaster than having a machine cold enough to have condensation on the video heads. tape would wrap around the head, stick to it and pull tape off both reels before it started to tear it

victor bogdanov

My daily winter fluctuations, readings from last 24hrs

24% Low, 80% high humitidy

55F Low, 78F H

thumbnail.jpg

I'll remind my 11 year old roland (runs 8hr per day, 0 issues other than normal head wear) that this isn't good for it

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
To be clear, we maintain mid sixties in the winter, day and night. And mid seventies in the summer day and night. We don't have much more than a 5 degree swing over a 24hr period.

victor bogdanov

To be clear, we maintain mid sixties in the winter, day and night. And mid seventies in the summer day and night. We don't have much more than a 5 degree swing over a 24hr period.
I tried running HVAC 24/7 but the electric bill ended up being more than double only running while working

netsol

i have 2 pallets of insulation to put in, in the open section of warehouse
that part is not air conditioned, but, the heat is unreal
since we have sprinklers, i need to insulate right up to the peak

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey vic...... no skin off my nose how you do or don't take of your toys. My roland is a 2004 and my flatbed is 2009. My gerbers are both from the early 1990's. My cutter, we just retired around thanksgiving. I was just making serious suggestions to people who care. Those that do it your way...... more power to them. It's dumb advice, but it's advice.

victor bogdanov

Hey vic...... no skin off my nose how you do or don't take of your toys. My roland is a 2004 and my flatbed is 2009. My gerbers are both from the early 1990's. My cutter, we just retired around thanksgiving. I was just making serious suggestions to people who care. Those that do it your way...... more power to them. It's dumb advice, but it's advice.
Would you say a 60 degrees printer is working hard 8/10 effort and at 70 degrees printer is working not as hard 5/10 effort?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
65º is fine. You're the one that mentioned temperatures don't mean much. Only humidity. You said it's nothing for a 20 degree swing from like 50 to 70. I just said the room temperature should be around 65º and not make the machine work so hard to make things workable. Try to stay focused victor....... you just seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing, not for safety of equipment or saving wear & tear needlessly on a machine. In a year or two from now, if someone reads this thread, they won't have the same flavor for this discussion and might think it's alright to bend the bar a little lower based upon what you're saying.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
In the graphics & office parts of the building we keep heat set at 65 all winter, AC at 72-75 in the summer. Printer, laminator & cutters are in their own room, it always stays around 68 in that room all winter, between 68-75 year round, and never a massive fluctuation at once. Seems to be pretty ideal to me, and all our old relics are still performing flawless.

The rest of the building is another story... About 12,000sf with 16-20' ceilings to heat. Out there it's always set to around 50 when not in use to keep water lines from freezing. But the trucks always start good, and my car when I park it inside on -20 degree days ;)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
On another note, why is 75 degrees hot when you're running the heater but cold when you have the A/C on? Such a mystery