• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making countour of .jpeg/bitmap???

54warrior

Heres a question for you experts...

Corel Draw X3...

Example:

I have a high resolution .jpeg with a white background. I want to create a countour around the 'meat' of the .jpeg so that it can be taken and placed onto design that will be printed 'wrap' style. Is this possible? How do I do it?

I've attached an example of what I need to do>>>

Is this even possible?

Thanks!

Attachments

• howdoi.jpg
    howdoi.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 100

J Hill Designs

I would do it in photoshop and make an alpha layer, then save as tiff and reimport into corel...google removing background with photoshop for help on how (I know it can be done in photopaint as well, just not as fluent with that program, so it's not my "go-to")

Circleville Signs

You want the contour cut, right? Not just to remove the background, but to create a cut-line?

It's easy - time consuming, but easy. You need to draw the cut-line.

54warrior

You want the contour cut, right? Not just to remove the background, but to create a cut-line?

It's easy - time consuming, but easy. You need to draw the cut-line.

The image is going to be printed on the black background as shown in attached image. So I need to cut the white background out, so that its a clean cut around the logo and the black shows.

54warrior

I would do it in photoshop and make an alpha layer, then save as tiff and reimport into corel...google removing background with photoshop for help on how (I know it can be done in photopaint as well, just not as fluent with that program, so it's not my "go-to")

I will check this out. Thanks! I am a photoshop user so will try the alpha thing.

J Hill Designs

I magic wand the whitespace in photoshop, then go back and add/subtract to the selection where appropriate, then i contract 2px, then feather 1px, then create alpha channel in channels box, then output as tiff

54warrior

I magic wand the whitespace in photoshop, then go back and add/subtract to the selection where appropriate, then i contract 2px, then feather 1px, then create alpha channel in channels box, then output as tiff

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated!

veloxgraphics

So... are you putting a white border or anything around the logo? Or are you printing all those black edges, the black hat/etc at the top onto a black background?!

If you want a white border that contours the logo (which i would recommend)... magic wand the white area in photoshop, contract the selection enough to give you a border, select invert, copy and paste into a new PS document with a transparent background

54warrior

So... are you putting a white border or anything around the logo? Or are you printing all those black edges, the black hat/etc at the top onto a black background?!

Yeah there will be border.. I just used this as quick example while on my sucky work computer.

I actually have the logo shown in vector, but just used it for example purposes. Created image quick in PaintShopPro 7! Wooo

J Hill Designs

create a work path out of the alpha channel and export to illy (it will save as an ai) then you can contour that path to get a smooth border

ocean502

IN COREL...I make a duplicate of the image, trace bitmap, it will distort it but you will have something to place an outline. When it's done tracing, select the vector you just made, create boundry, add a fill, remove outline, add a countour, remove fill, add cut line...move cutline to your original image.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yeah there will be border.. I just used this as quick example while on my sucky work computer.

I actually have the logo shown in vector, but just used it for example purposes. Created image quick in PaintShopPro 7! Wooo

If you have a vector already, forget photoshop. Take the outermost shape. You may have select several shapes that make up the outermost shapes. Do a contour of those shapes and weld/join paths so that you have a single contour shape. the size of the contour will be determined by how much of an "outline" you add

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
see attached sample. The outermost shape (black in this case) can be added by simply doing a contour. No need to redraw it

Attachments

• upward-cheerleading.jpg
    upward-cheerleading.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 110

54warrior

IN COREL...I make a duplicate of the image, trace bitmap, it will distort it but you will have something to place an outline. When it's done tracing, select the vector you just made, create boundry, add a fill, remove outline, add a countour, remove fill, add cut line...move cutline to your original image.

That is what I'd do if I ONLY wanted the logo, by itself, to cut a path around, correct?

I am looking to have a 'clean' version of the .jpeg logo without the white 'square' background, so that it can be placed on the black background that is part of the 'wrap' itself. I think what jhilldesigns described will work for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I would like to learn this for any .jpeg that i come across that needs the background gone, not just this one specifically.

Again, I just used the logo above for example purposes.

54warrior

I will try to explain this better...

Image 1: .jpeg with green background

Want to take Image 1, remove green background in Draw, so that it can next be placed on black/red background and printed as shown in Image 2.

Thanks!!! Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 94

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
if you want the cleanest lines possible you are better off drawing it in a vector program. I could draw that shield outline in less than 1 minute

54warrior

Thanks again for your help everyone. And I don't want to come across 'wrong' here...

I understand how to trace the items and make it vector, but that is not what I am trying to do. Lets assume that I have a super high resolution .jpeg logo that all I want to do is crop the background out of in Corel, and place the now background-less .jpeg ontop of other vector objects/designs in corel, so that the ENTIRE THING can be printed in one pass, as one big piece of vinyl.

Hope that explained things better?