• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Fail?

SlightlyChilled

I just find it odd the you are asking here when you have a BIG corporation behind you. Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe they sent you crappy vinyl thinking it would be in the heat all the time seeing that you are in Las Vegas, NV not thinking you would have snow jobs..

MikePro

i wouldn't bother using material I didn't trust for the conditions.
if my supplier gave me a materials solution for a project, and it failed, i'd be asking my supplier their thoughts.

calendared material in extreme weather conditions?!? you're just asking for trouble.
I'm thinking it could be one of a million things, most stated already. but i'm leaning towards your IJ35 or the "unknown" laminate that is most likely calendared as well..... heck, a cast overlam might have saved the IJ35 on this project.

boxerbay

IJ35/?? lam probably was not the best choice for outdoor subzero signs. IJ180C/8518 combo and post heat is the proper way to go. OR for the 3M haters - a high quality cast vinyl / cast lam combo would be a better fit.

rjssigns

Calendared material in sub-zero is going to cause problems. Anything outdoors gets cast with cast lam unless for a very short term event.

Littlesigner

Does appear to be purposely pealed however you say this is happening to all 4 signs which inconsiderate people or kids may do I don't know if its likely. You could piece a strip of lam on the edges to hold it however you want this customer to be happy so id redo them using proper material that you know will work. Clean the substrate with rapid prep or something similar (clean like 3 times for reassurance). If you have more issues contact your corporate office, I have worked for a franchise myself in the past and they were always helpful. Good Luck :)

Border

Not sure what the actual cause is but some advice I have is to keep track of what you use on each job.
I always note in every design file what brand and colors were used, including laminates.
It will help you learn better what to use when and where down the road, especially if you have problems with something such as these signs.
My best guess is that the unknown laminate is shrinking in the cold and rolling everything up with it.
As suggested, a quick fix would be to cut some strips of [good] laminate and wrap them around all the edges to the back side.

MikePro

sign on the slopes being picked-at, maybe, but assisted after already lifting is most likely
I have yet to see anyone, on a ski hill, take the time to remove their gloves so that they can pick-at the vinyl on a sign.
vandalism is fun, but so is skiing while you're paying $80 a lift ticket.

however, "hugging" a sign on the slopes? most definately:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 126

SAR.Summerlin

The boss went up to the resort to get a look himself and we have more answers. Apparently these are signs that they mounted to large metal poles and move every day to show where classes gather. They are a week old and beat to heck. So new question what is the best material to use for signs that get moved and banged together A LOT.
I am looking for substrate and vinyl/lam suggestions. Needs to be rigid as the signs are 30"w x 18"h

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

MikePro

new question what is the best material to use for signs that get moved and banged together A LOT.
I am looking for substrate and vinyl/lam suggestions.
make a sandwich!
reverse-printed on clear, laminated with white, and applied 2nd-surface to clear plexi. you can then re-add the dibond as a backer panel with double-sided acrylic bonding tape for extra durability, and then the signs can take all the beating they want.

simpler-route, can't you just get blue dibond panels and add white vinyl text?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Edgecap, glue, and 0.030" polycarb faces.

lol Mike - great minds and all that blah blah.

MikePro

+1 edgecap, idk why I didn't think of that. there's options available for dibond products, i believe, so you can probably even add it on to the existing signs.

Z$

There is this Vinyl from Arlon I believe its DPF 8000 and it sticks really really well. It isn't an air release material so whoever installs it must know what they are doing. That should help your problem. As for laminate, I usually use whatever house brand I buy from and it never seems to fail. I recently just finished a snow park in Utah and haven't had any problems yet...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Experiencing peeling after only a week ??

Aluminum expands and contracts at a totally different rate than that of cast or calendared vinyls regardless of lamination. You need to figure out a way to protect your edges better and possibly wrap them to the back side and then put an edge capping of some sort over it.

Dzrt1st

This may be a dumb question but did you peel off the protective film from the Dibond before you applied your graphic?

OADesign

SAR.Summerlin,

Your problem IS the media I think. If it is the same stuff they supply you with to do your windows, is cheap calendared vinyl. And with all the Vegas sun, I'm certain it just failed in the heat/uv. I am intimately familiar with the "Starter kits" they give out. Yes, you can get away with (read: install and run) most of the medias for flat surfaces and windows, but its guaranteed to fail on any thing that gets any more exposure. Just get roll of 3M ij40 + brightline eSeries IM2203 and redo the job (both available from Grimco which is in your area). Take the rest of that roll UFG gave you and put it in the corner (with a dunce cap). I'm joking. But use that stuff to practice with. Not on live (paid) jobs. Ask your local Operations Advisor for more tips...