• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maui Hawaii, Suggestions?

TXFB.INS

We will be in Maui Hawaii for vacation leading up to and on Valentines Day.

being an avid land dweller, and first time to visit Hawaii, are there any suggestions that would make the trip more memorable?

favorite Restaurants, sight seeing, or special events going on for Valentines Day?
Not opposed to the "tourist traps" but have always enjoyed the path less traveled.

Thanks for any input y'all can offer.

I really enjoyed to road to hana. Beautiful scenery along the back side of the island. A lot of little tourist stops but some cools stuff. The 7 pools were really cool. Some good cliff diving. Also that is where Charles lindenberg is buried. Its a church on that back road. It's really really cool cemetery area behind the church. Really cool. Not something everyone does. The bike ride down the volcano was cool but they don't let you go fast.

kgirl

Maui is fun.....do a lot of hiking and snorkeling....and don't forget plenty of happy hour!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
road to hana is loooooooong, I'd pass on it

the nude beach is.... different..... lotta fat people....

head over to the local side of the island

It will take you a day to do the road to hana. But there are a lot of cool stops along the way. Go to local side of island and get bad looks all day long or go have some fun on the tourist side. Islanders don't like howlies.

MikePro

my family vacations there annually but I, however, have only been once. Still, Maui is definitely one of the best destinations this side of the globe!
one of my fav's... Sunrise @ Haleakalah. Gotta get up really early, and it's a bit chilly, but definitely worth the effort to watch the sunrise above the clouds.
also, I forget the name of it, but if you're near the Seven Sacred Pools then hike up the path into the forest/park above them and there's an awesome bamboo-forest trail leading up to the base of a HUGE waterfall.

Zip-lining was great too, but the place I went to recently had an employee fall 200ft. to her death and I think they're still shut-down as a result :(

Also there is this little like hole in the wall meat place. I believe they have two shops in maui but I can't remember the name. They marinate all their meat and you buy it and cook it. I know it's not what your thinking when you go to maui but if you have a bbq at the place your staying then bbq one night. They make some killer marinated ribs. I believe it was called azekas or something like that.

kgirl

If you plan on doing any surfing....be sure to land flat in the water....there's a reason why a lot of the population has scars all over their faces and bodies...lava rock OUCH!!!! :thumb:

Bigcat_hunter

My wife and I love The Road to Hana.
That road to hana is terrifying(if thats the one that goes to the remote side of the island). There are jungle people that try to sell you marijuana on motorcycles while you are trying not to drive off a cliff on a very small road. Trucks come flying around corners etc. There was a guy at the end selling shirts that said "I survived the road to hana" or some such. Quite the experience.

I would go hunt axis deer or wild pigs with hawaii safaris. But thats just me. Thats how we usually send our vacations. Zip lines are fun too.

OldPaint

road to hana.........best done on 2 wheels)))) but in a 4 wheeler, if your a flatlander....will scare ya...we went out the back road from hana........not supposed to go there. car rental told us if we did, they dont insure the car!!! beautiful area on the south side........desolate. think this is where they filmed a lot of JURASSIC PARK. old church out there, and this little store. no electric or telephone(we where there prior to cell phones)

Attachments

• kuapu.jpg
    kuapu.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 65

LeeTringes

I've been to Maui a few times and I really love it! In my opinion, snorkeling @ Molokini Crater is a must. I did the road to hana, it was extremely long but beautiful and scary. There's not much there when you get there, it's all about the drive and things to see on the way....waterfalls, bamboo forest, etc. If you decide to drive around the other side of the island instead of turning around, you will end up in upcountry and tedeschi vineyards is there and offers wine tasting. You'll need that after driving the dirt road that way from Hana. Seek out the happy hours... there are a lot of good mai tais to be had! If you are staying in the Kaanapali side then make it a priority to visit lahaina and kapalua. Merrimans Kapalua is an awesome restuarant there with amazing views. The Westin Maui is a good hotel, and Leilanis next door is a nice inexpensive place to eat. There's also plenty of zip lining and golfing to do if you are into it! Have fun