• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Max Acrylic flat face size you would use in flat face pole sign.

Andy D

Would you use Poly instead of Acrylic on a replacement 5'x10' flat face for a double sided pole sign?

Billct2

Depends on the retainer system, but usually no. Don't go much over 4x8 for something like that

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
yes, I use poly for all hard faced illuminated sign cabs. I'd start thinking about a pan face when you get that big.

signbrad

I prefer a flexible face for a sign that size, assuming the client would spring for a retro kit.
If not, a hanging bar is essential at this size, in my opinion. Also, a pan face is more rigid and more resistant to blowout than a flat face.

Brad in Kansas City

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I would not put flat Lexan in a cabinet as large 5' X 10'; flex is going to be more secure. Pan-formed Lexan faces are good, but it costs so much to order those kinds of faces anymore. The cost to crate and ship the things is just ridiculous.

Andy D

I agree with everyone, but it looks like they have flat rigid plastic face in the sign now.
See existing picture below (I blocked out the the logo), it's not a pan & the retainer is too thin for it to be a flex.
I'm just creating a mechanical, but I will suggest replacing with a pan.
upload_2021-2-3_12-21-49.png

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The flat polycarbonate faces in that cabinet probably would blow out before very long if that sign was here in Oklahoma. The wind doesn't mess around in this state. With those narrow retainers, and the way Lexan can flex and bend, the frequent gusts (not to mention severe storms) would pop those large sign faces loose.

Regarding retainer sizes for flexible faces, not all retrofit kits require fat 4" or 4.5" wide retainers. Some systems will allow 2" retainers and there is even ways to have "full bleed" setups where no retainer is visible. But the full bleed setups require more work on the cabinet (really it's best to build such cabinets brand new).

John Miller

A hanging strip is essential, don't do the job without one, bumpers are also a must. With the amount of expansion and contraction on a face that size, those elements are very important. Be sure the existing box will take a hanging strip. Do a thorough site visit.

MikePro

i stick to ~20sq.ft range, but will push it upwards to 4x8's in a pinch.... but anything greater than 20sqft I go with poly or flexface.

Johnny Best

Bumpers are installed on the interior of cabinet to keep the face from bowing in to much from wind causing it to poo out of retainers.

Billct2

Bumpers are placed in the middle of the box attached to a structural upright. They are a little back from the face so if the face pushes in it stops it from going so far it will
come out of the retainer.