• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Melting ?????

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is a Gerber 750 H/S plus plotter. The large drum is actually getting soft and gooey... suddenly.
  • The first picture shows how the knife is just cutting the drum apart at the starting spot.
  • The next picture shows how after touching the drum with my fingers... it left impressions on it.
The whole thing has a slightly sticky feel to it also, especially where the blade has ripped it up. With this new tackiness, we've found vinyl [backing] is actually sticking to it a little and being drawn down into the inside of the drum.... much similar to the problem we had a few months ago. However, it didn't feel sticky and gooey before now.

Any ideas ??
Gino

Attachments

• HS750+ ripped.jpg
    HS750+ ripped.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 190
  • HS750+ dimpled.jpg
    HS750+ dimpled.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 166

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No.

That was my first question.....

WHAT THE FLYIN' ^@%$# WERE YOU #@&*%^)% USING ON THE %$@%&*^% PLOTTER ??? %^)($#@(& ME !!

Actually, I could tell nothing was used on it, but I thought I'd ask.​

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Gino
The very same thing happened to my GS750 Plus a few years ago. The rubber is de-vulcanizing itself. After checking into the cost of a new drum....it was thousands if I recall. I decided I could do it myself a lot cheaper. I am mechanically inclined (you need to be, to do this yourself) I took the plotter completely apart and got the drum out, then scraped and cleaned all the old rubber off and re-wrapped the drum with a sheet of 1/8'' rubber sheet. I used spray adhesive to get the sheet rubber to stick to the drum. I did have a seam on it but it never seemed to cause all that much trouble and has been working great for years now.

Techman

i agree.
ITs givign up the ghost. Rubber does that suddenly. ACtually it is not pure rubber. Ozone from teh atmosphere reacts with this compound and one day its all used up.
Printer toners do the same thing. They work for a long suddenly one day you get strange streaks in the copy for no apparent reason. Actually,the rubber based wipers gave it all up.

Urban Image

That's crazy. I had the same thing happen to a customer of mine only it was way worse. Overnight and practically dripping.

Billct2

Well that may explain the melting rubber door stoppers in my office.
I had my winter shell jacket hanging on the knob on the back of the door and when I went to use it a few months later the door stop (for the handle) had melted all over it.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Yeah...Truth is Gino , you've only got a few weeks at the most and it will start DRIPPING off the roller

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you could be right, but we washed and shampooed it, dried it off and gave it a powder coating of 'Baby's Ass' fine powder and run it at slow speed and it's working. Not quite the way it should, but we're limping along. Luckily we have other cutters until we figure out how to handle it.

thanks so much for all your help..................
Gino​