• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Microsoft's big announcement...

CES020

I saw all the hype from MS about it and they kept saying this is a "Do not miss event", and I noticed last night and this morning that it's difficult to find any news about it.

Really odd that you wouldn't see that as front page news everywhere.

Sharx

Joe,
I'm with you, I have an I-pad that my daughters bought me for the holidays, I can't say I have ever been a big Apple fan, and I don't think I would have spent my cash on it. BUT I do use it a lot and enjoy it. But I would love a tablet that I could use Corel on! And If they are priced competitively I'll own one. Like to hear some pricing, and timing.

rjssigns

Wonder if you could use the i5 variant with 64G flash as a RIP server? Make a little mount to attach to the top of the printer. I would love to do something like that.

peavey123

Wonder if you could use the i5 variant with 64G flash as a RIP server? Make a little mount to attach to the top of the printer. I would love to do something like that.

Haha I hope someone here tries at least. They'd have to be kinda rich...
"The Intel Ivy Bridge i5-based Windows Pro Surface is slated to follow about three months later and will be sold in 64GB and 128GB capacities with prices comparable to Ultrabook PCs."
That's $1000 for something with a 1-2 year life before it's obsolete IMHO.

Tweeted during the event by Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley "Tablet just failed, Microsoft exec had to replace it on stage." I'm not hating but it is after all a first gen device by a company that doesn't normally make hardware. He did say the keyboard is nice...

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Good Morning America covered the launch of the Microsoft Surface tablets this morning. The product strikes me as being a more fashionable looking netbook, given the fold out physical keyboard.

My own 2¢ on the Microsoft Surface device: I've never felt the need to own a tablet. They're far too limited in what they do in terms of price to performance. This especially goes for the iPad, regardless of how ultra popular and fashionable it may be. I have no need for it. At least the "pro" version of the Surface will pretty much be a fully functional computer (as long as it has the necessary ports and what not to make it happen).

Portability is obviously one of the big factors. However, I think my full sized Dell XPS Core i7 quad core notebook is portable enough, not to mention far more powerful than any tablet. It's quite a bit lighter and thinner than my previous Dell notebook. I have no problem at all taking it along to various places outside the office or home if I need to do so.

On the tiny end of computing I have my Android phone. I just upgraded to the HTC EVO 4G LTE. It's a very nice phone, quite a bit better than my old EVO 4G. The screen is bigger and packs in more pixels (1280 x 720) yet the thinner profile makes it easier to fit in my pocket. Battery life is a LOT better, thanks to a built-in 2000 mAh battery.

To me, tablets like the iPad or Kindle Fire just seem like over-sized phones. If I want something that acts like a smart phone I'm just going to use a smart phone. If I want something the size of a small notebook computer I'm going to use a notebook computer.

Joe Diaz

Apparently it will have a digitizer that will allow it to differentiate between finger touch and stylus touch. So that should be nice for illustrating. I wonder if it will be pressure sensitive too. I can see myself having some fun with Corel Painter and a tablet like this, since I will actually be able to install something like Painter or Draw, instead of trying to work with some simple app.

ironchef

Looks nice, especially if you can use adobe or corel. And print from it. I have a xoom 4g with the ice cream sandwich os. I love it. Really useful. My advise is to go buy any electronics on black friday or other seasonal specials. I bought mine for $200 and i pay almost 40 a month.

Fatboy

Good Morning America covered the launch of the Microsoft Surface tablets this morning. The product strikes me as being a more fashionable looking netbook, given the fold out physical keyboard.

My own 2¢ on the Microsoft Surface device: I've never felt the need to own a tablet. They're far too limited in what they do in terms of price to performance. This especially goes for the iPad, regardless of how ultra popular and fashionable it may be. I have no need for it. At least the "pro" version of the Surface will pretty much be a fully functional computer (as long as it has the necessary ports and what not to make it happen).

Portability is obviously one of the big factors. However, I think my full sized Dell XPS Core i7 quad core notebook is portable enough, not to mention far more powerful than any tablet. It's quite a bit lighter and thinner than my previous Dell notebook. I have no problem at all taking it along to various places outside the office or home if I need to do so.

On the tiny end of computing I have my Android phone. I just upgraded to the HTC EVO 4G LTE. It's a very nice phone, quite a bit better than my old EVO 4G. The screen is bigger and packs in more pixels (1280 x 720) yet the thinner profile makes it easier to fit in my pocket. Battery life is a LOT better, thanks to a built-in 2000 mAh battery.

To me, tablets like the iPad or Kindle Fire just seem like over-sized phones. If I want something that acts like a smart phone I'm just going to use a smart phone. If I want something the size of a small notebook computer I'm going to use a notebook computer.

Same here!:rock-n-roll: