• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

might wrap a van for a radio station but.....

slappy

how do you go about getting images of famous people for print? I would assume they would want some of the artist on it....:banghead:

I've never designed a wrap before, so any advice is deeply appreciated.

WCSign

the radio station should already have all that and be licensed to use the likeness as they typically already have used the pics for billboards and such

CanuckSigns

are they paying you in on-air advertizing? the stations around here are famous for it, I don't think they actually pay for anything!

mopar691

I threw the local radio station out of my shop a few years ago. They want every single product I can offer for air time trade.

I did one small job with them a few years back. The air time blew and my ad was instantly followed by one of my competitors, back to back and every time it was aired.

slappy

Quote will be triple if not quadruple Gino. I've done this before a few times. And I learned my lesson the first one i did. The air time was not worth the signs or banner.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At best, offer them a 50/50 deal. You get paid for 50% of the project when finished and they give you 50% of the value in quality air-time. Don't forget Jack.

You specify you want it at the news times in the morning, random spots throughout the day and then before the news again at 5pm. Not on weekends, not after 11pm or before 6am unless they are free.

It's not worth it, not even for the experience of getting a wrap under your belt to do a 100% trade-off. Only for a fool or a sucker would go for that, so if you don't get your terms, let them look for a real sucker and don't be upset, cause there will be someone to do it free..... some fool.

slappy

believe me Gino, i know:wink:

It will be on my terms just like the last on i did for them(which was die cut) or they can go elsewhere. I got 2 different commercials that were a minute long ran at news time, drive home time etc. I listened to the station at work here to verify the spots and they did it to their word. I told them i didn't want the "bs" fill spots cause it happened before to me.
I also pointed out that they had there van lettered (die-cut) twice by the same shop 2 years in a row. If i was doing it, it would be expensive, but they wouldn't need a reletter the following year. I think it was about a $450 job, but i charged them $1200. So i got what i thought was fair in exchange. Wasn't doing it for no 10 commercials. The ads ended up running for about a month on the station.

I will get what i want :thumb:

CS-SignSupply-TT

If not air time (on your terms), what about a 90 day billboard with the wrapped van as the center piece of the billboard? just thinkin' out loud

Pat Whatley

You specify you want it at the news times in the morning, random spots throughout the day and then before the news again at 5pm. Not on weekends, not after 11pm or before 6am unless they are free.

No kidding because if you don't specify they'll stick you in filler spots. Your ad will be blowing up the airwaves between 2:45am and 4:45am.

visual800

OR they are awesome for getting other stuff. I got furnture, a 12x20 storage shed. I dont waste my time being on the air, but if you need other stuff they can make it happen thats how they operate aint nothing wrong with bartering

J

john1

Did the signs for air time barter. Totally a waste of time. Didn't get 1 call. I forget but i think it was like 5 30sec commercials each day for 5 days straight.

Locals Find!

You guys that fall for the bartering for Airtime trick are fools. I did work for Beasley broadcasting for years. (2nd largest radio station owner in the US just behind Clear Channel) and let me tell you. They have cash by the wheelbarrows full. You can get paid cash if you want to get paid. The station managers always try to barter because, they pocket the cash they didn't pay you.

For example if they take your $5000 invoice and give you Airtime during say drive time. Its because they lost the Auto Dealer for that spot and its dead air. They put it down that they sold all the spots for $1000 for the month, and submit a request for reimbursement for the $4000. To the corporate office for the van wrap, they pocket the cash and you got screwed.

Airtime is dirt cheap if you buy it on your own. I used to buy up stations time slots all the time. They like to have them booked up 3 months in advance and if they aren't booked up you can usually buy em up for pennies on the dollar of value. That is what all the big marketing firms do. They call around all year buying up air time to resell em. No reason if you got some cash handy you can't do the same thing for yourself and sell some of the spots to your customers or reward loyal customers. Plenty of voice over companies will put together a :30 second spot for $500 and you can use it for years.

g&eprinting

Doing a radio station wrap right now,, getting paid in full and free air time. Good people

But honestly done the radio and newspaper .. Nothing in return.
Passed out flyers B2B and got so busy had to stop passing flyers for a sec.

WCSign

Interwebz forums, you might get 1 answer to the question you asked, but you will damn sure get 20 to the question you didnt

J

john1

You guys that fall for the bartering for Airtime trick are fools. I did work for Beasley broadcasting for years. (2nd largest radio station owner in the US just behind Clear Channel) and let me tell you. They have cash by the wheelbarrows full. You can get paid cash if you want to get paid. The station managers always try to barter because, they pocket the cash they didn't pay you.

For example if they take your $5000 invoice and give you Airtime during say drive time. Its because they lost the Auto Dealer for that spot and its dead air. They put it down that they sold all the spots for $1000 for the month, and submit a request for reimbursement for the $4000. To the corporate office for the van wrap, they pocket the cash and you got screwed.

Airtime is dirt cheap if you buy it on your own. I used to buy up stations time slots all the time. They like to have them booked up 3 months in advance and if they aren't booked up you can usually buy em up for pennies on the dollar of value. That is what all the big marketing firms do. They call around all year buying up air time to resell em. No reason if you got some cash handy you can't do the same thing for yourself and sell some of the spots to your customers or reward loyal customers. Plenty of voice over companies will put together a :30 second spot for $500 and you can use it for years.

Addy, I understand where you are coming from but calling us fools who didn't know that information isn't appropriate IMO.

I bartered when i first started a couple years ago and it was the biggest radio station in this area at the time (before xm took over)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As for being a fool for bartering or doing business with a radio, television or some other media, the fool...... is the one saying this.

Having knowledge like he possesses should help him make a better decision of how to wheel and deal with these medias.

Being in the sign industry, I don't have a product that someone is always itching to buy like cars, appliances or some sports arena... so selling products isn't my idea of advertising on a billboard or radio ad. It's simply a reminder or image enforcer if you do it correctly, so someone might remember your ad at some later date when they DO need your service or product.
The inside knowledge and how things and people are manipulated and screwed....... plus that he has taken part in it, just serves up more confirmation and proof..... some people never change.​