• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UCJV300-160 - Problem Printing Red

netsol

To unclebun:
Thank you very much for this detailed and impartial report. To quote a few points-

I had noticed this, in fact on the Mimaki site there are profiles which are classified as Fully Tested and Profiled, Not Tested yet, Certified; however from what little I have seen it was not immediately clear as to the efficacy of the profiles belonging to the various classifications for the end user (Graphic Studio-Printer), No doubt testing tells.

Certainly however unfortunately I was not present at the time.

... which seems to confirm my suspicion, howver this may be another reason to retry Onyx, this time with the full versions

Of course, but according to the contract, upon delivery the plotter was to be installed by the accompanying technician whose firm was to be handsomely paid for this service. Our people, admittedly, stood back and expected (trusted ?) that this was being done ... by an expert.
Thank you again for the courtesy and care in your follow up.

netsol

pixelmolla
i think the sticking point is that a "downloaded profile" takes into account all the unique properties of the MATERIAL (substrate) you are going to print on, but NONE of the unique properties of your particular machine.

life may not be fair, but they are not all created equal.

color management, building and choosing profiles is a USER LEVEL acquired skill & quite a bit of time needs to be budgeted to acquiring this skill set.

the more you limit the materials you print on, the less time you will,need tospend on these tasks. the more versatile your operation is, the more time will be necessary

we would all love to be able to have a new employee sit down, follow a work flow document and turn out perfect prints, but this is not a reasonable expectation.

joeks

I am still interested to hear if there are better profiles to use than the mimaki website offers. Reds and some other colors are not as vibrant as I would like them to be (and when matched to Pantone books).

Also curious to hear what rendering intends people use, if any. These days I mostly print on "mimaki expanded" setting to get best popping colors. But some colors get slightly to dark this way.

Retro Graphics

Hello,
We are having problems with the plotter : Mimaki UCJV300-160.
It is practically new and still covered by warranty.
The dealer is, as yet, unable to help.
A brief summary of our main problem is as follows:
  • The plotter will not print red correctly, the hues are faded or worse, are altered to the point of becoming literally orange, in particular at lower resolutions.
  • A Mimaki technician tried creating a custom profile to resolve the question, which was to no avail.
    (the plotter should print a full red even from the plotter’s own test print, without a custom profile)
  • Maintenance tests and an air purge have been performed on the plotter.
  • It seems that there is, at present, no Firmware update available from Mimaki for this plotter.
The failure of this plotter to perform one of the most basic functions in any printing machine, to print red correctly, at any resolution, has consequently compromised the printing services we have always offered to our clients - the quality of the prints via this Mimaki plotter is not acceptable and together with the lack of interest and complete lack of valid professional support from this authorized reseller, we are sorely disappointed.

Could anyone please comment or suggest a possible solution, or remedy, for this unusual, and most unfortunate, condition ?
A few examples of some test prints using this plotter and some comparisons with one of our other plotters, a Roland XR-640, which prints correctly are attached below.

In addition to this we cannot find a way to enable the Remote Access Mode on this plotter.
ie Web Management via IP and Browser Interface, which is normally present in nearly all professional machines. We believe that this option is available for this model since one of our staff saw it enabled on another Mimaki plotter, (with the same model and the same firmware) and visible in the display menu.(Network) of the plotter.
Is anyone aware of other options available for remote management (SNMP, etc) of this plotter ?

Thank you.

View attachment 149351 View attachment 149352 View attachment 149353 View attachment 149354
I have the same Mimaki unit with the CMYKLcLmWW, and i had an issue similar to this back in the summer. Being it is winter, I doubt it's the same issue, but if nothing else, I can confirm the Mimakis print colors shift a lot if the humidity is up there, especially if pushing a lower resolution like 300x600 or 600x600. Doing wraps I pretty much only print at 1200x1200 for the richest of colors There are also several profiles for the machine now on Mimaki's site as well as some of the vendors. Arlon even has a profile for download. I have no climate control in my basement, generally cool but can get a a bit stuffy in summer. Doubt it helps now but maybe idk.

micadesign

i just tweak my profile @300x900 and @600x600 for more red. but it works good if no other color is added like some greys...

the ideal is to by a third party rip and create new profiles.

sskeetr1

Not really sure how to tweak the profiles or build my own, just learning the ropes of the profiles. But I can not get reds out of it, Everything is orange when using spot colors.

Hello,
We are having problems with the plotter : Mimaki UCJV300-160.
It is practically new and still covered by warranty.
The dealer is, as yet, unable to help.
A brief summary of our main problem is as follows:
  • The plotter will not print red correctly, the hues are faded or worse, are altered to the point of becoming literally orange, in particular at lower resolutions.
  • A Mimaki technician tried creating a custom profile to resolve the question, which was to no avail.
    (the plotter should print a full red even from the plotter’s own test print, without a custom profile)
  • Maintenance tests and an air purge have been performed on the plotter.
  • It seems that there is, at present, no Firmware update available from Mimaki for this plotter.
The failure of this plotter to perform one of the most basic functions in any printing machine, to print red correctly, at any resolution, has consequently compromised the printing services we have always offered to our clients - the quality of the prints via this Mimaki plotter is not acceptable and together with the lack of interest and complete lack of valid professional support from this authorized reseller, we are sorely disappointed.

Could anyone please comment or suggest a possible solution, or remedy, for this unusual, and most unfortunate, condition ?
A few examples of some test prints using this plotter and some comparisons with one of our other plotters, a Roland XR-640, which prints correctly are attached below.

In addition to this we cannot find a way to enable the Remote Access Mode on this plotter.
ie Web Management via IP and Browser Interface, which is normally present in nearly all professional machines. We believe that this option is available for this model since one of our staff saw it enabled on another Mimaki plotter, (with the same model and the same firmware) and visible in the display menu.(Network) of the plotter.
Is anyone aware of other options available for remote management (SNMP, etc) of this plotter ?

Thank you.

View attachment 149351 View attachment 149352 View attachment 149353 View attachment 149354
Hello Did you fix the problem with the red on UCJV300?

Hello Did you fix the problem with the red on UCJV300?
The profile for Drytac Retac75 has really good reds.

Profiles mean less in UV than they do for Latex or Solvent, since the ink sits on the surface cured, the media profiles are more of a “we believe this works best” if nothing else.

Also, set your color management to Adobe1998 RGB & MimakiCMYK. Perceptual for both image and graphic or whatever.

APCInk

Merchant Member
Let us know if help is still needed on this. We also provide a remote profiling service on certain Mimaki Printers, though different that what most people think of as "Remote". Our demo facility contains most of the more popular Mimaki models so as long as we are able to obtain the same media a customer wants to use we can build a profile in our location, targeting your specific needs (i.e. neutral grays, saturated colors, spot matching, etc.) and then send the final profile and test prints to you.

Tony Rojas is our full-time color management guru and we use the latest Barbieri auto-scanning spectros. We are able to profile for Mimaki RasterLink, Onyx, Ergosoft, Flexi and Caldera.

Even when using Rasterlink I seen Tony deliver significantly deeper color with more neutral grays than the downloadable profiles offer. PM me and I can get you details on pricing.

Thanks!