• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Sign on Awning

RebelGraphics

Hello all, same client from my previous post wants a sign on his tenant’s awning. It still has adhesive from the previous sign so I’m assuming it was printed vinyl directly onto the fabric. Is it the right way to do it or should I use a rigid substrate and screw it in?

Attachments

• 8CC3E732-B981-4BBF-95F2-759DCB2DC6AC.jpeg
    8CC3E732-B981-4BBF-95F2-759DCB2DC6AC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 309

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They should redo that awning or just get rid of it. That thing looks horrible. You could mount something to the framework, make sure the frame is secured well to the building.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's right, that thing looks awful. Sometimes, ya just can't polish a turd.

Billct2

Yep, a real eyesore. You can remove the existing fabric and have an awning company make a new one.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Yep! The first thing to do is request a burning at the stake for that thing! Jeez.........
Get them a vinyl awing and put vinyl letters on it, or a nice printed sign....
I wouldn't want my name associated with that job otherwise.
It is probably so old it won't take much to rip it to shreds....
If you do try to mount something to the frame behind the awning, I would think the first time you put a hole in it to secure your substrate, it will start tearing, and on and on.

RebelGraphics

Replaced is a no-no as there is “no budget” per their words.
Can I use acm or acrylic and screw it to the frame to cover the eyesore?

unclebun

You can screw things to the frame that are lightweight. Usually the frame is 1x1 square tubing. The limiting factor for weight is how the thing is attached to the wall. I've seen a lot of pretty sketchy attachments on awnings.

The real solution is a new "canvas" (whether it's polyester fabric or vinyl). It might not be all that expensive either. And in my experience, the awning contractor can put the lettering on it before they go out and install it. I just send them the file and they make the lettering and apply it. Find a reputable awning company and keep them in your Rolodex.

TammieH

Replaced is a no-no as there is “no budget” per their words.
Can I use acm or acrylic and screw it to the frame to cover the eyesore?[/QUO

I would be wary about adding extra weight, If this falls on someone, its on you

and what about a permit?

Johnny Best

That awning is old and dirty. The valance webbing is coming off. Clean it with some detergent like tide in a bucket of water with a good scrub brush. Rinse off with water and let dry. Paint it with cheap exterior latex paint, the kind that vinyl letters will stick to, not the good latex paint with all the extras in it. Paint the top and valance a different color like it was and a different color for rectangular part. One quart of each will take care of it.
Tell the pastor to get volunteers to clean and paint it. You just have to apply the vinyl.

Attachments

• godisgood.jpg
    godisgood.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 177

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, not having the budget to do something correctly, does not equate to doing it stupidly. The banner idea is good, but like mentioned, if it's not attached too good, you'll be responsible for not fixing it to meet code. So, no budget...... does that mean no permit ??