• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh refurb

Irishprinter

Hi all
I have come into possession of a Kodak 3043 which is a Mutoh Falcon or Rockhopper 2 I believe.
I have no idea how long it is since it printed and it runs through all the initialising ok and I can get to 'Plot Ok'.
As expected it won't do a test print but as I love to tinker and fix things I was wondering would anybody be able to say if this could be got going again and what might be involved?
I don't mind spending a few shekels on it if required.
It's Eco solvent plus.
Thanks in advance and please be sensitive with your prognosis :Big Laugh

aviationben

I'd guess about $1300.... You'll want to read up on replacing dampers, capping station, ink pump, heads, and FUSES just to start. You will know every screw on this machine when your done. I've had mine for over 6 years now, purchase used. I was told they don't use plus ink anymore,l so be ready to spend around 500 for new inks.

Irishprinter

Thanks for the reply....doen't sound too expenxive if it works.
Do you know of any good resources to start reading? Only have the user manual....have been trying to track down a maintenance one as well.

Ghost Prophet

Here is the CMYKparts video on damper replacement, you need this for when you replace the print heads as well...

I haven't been able to find a service manual online anywhere and Mutoh only supplies user manuals on their disfunctional website. However there is this page http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/117/

Might try e-mailing Mutoh support for a PDF version. I know there is one.

This forum will be your best resource (even over the service manual) when you run into problems. It has been for me.

Irishprinter

Stripped this thing down and it looks like it has had a good flush, all the lines are clean with no ink in them.
Put it back together and pulled the ink into the dampers, seemed fine....but now when I power up all I am getting is 'No Waste -Ink Tank'. Can't get by that.....everything to do with the waste bottle is the same. Any ideas?

Ghost Prophet

That is a prompt that has to be reset in your Falcon menu once you clean the waste ink bottle.

I "think" you hit menu when you get the prompt and then one of the other buttons to tell it that it has been changed, a yes/no should show up somewhere. Sorry I can't be more specific as I've only done this once.

randya

There is a small microswitch under the bottle.

Make sure that it is connected properly and that the bottle makes the switch.

Irishprinter

Thanks guys/gals.
This is simply an awesome repository of info...have spent a few days reading about my printer here and I now know such a lot more about it. Thanks for having me and so willingly sharing your experience.
Two things I haven't been able to find:
Will Signlab work as a RIP for this printer? I was intending to give it a computer of its own as I have one spare.
The other thing is: When I broke down the machine I found that one of the waste pipes was wrapped around the cog wheel of the pump, it looked so abnormal I pulled it out again. How would I know that the pump is actually working? It doesn't move or do anything at all on initialise.
Thanks again hope you all enjoy your Sunday, it's sunny and beautiful here in Ireland.

Last edited:

FatCat

You should be able to see if ink is making it's way down to the waste bottle when doing a head wash/clean. If no ink is coming out then it's likely the pump or could be a few other things such as a poor seal on the head/maintenance station or a blocked tube.

Irishprinter

Go raibh maith agat CaitSail!!

Would anybody have a diagram or a good photo of how the tubes all connect in the capping staion and pump? I'm not convinced it is right on my machine....would this stop the pump working?

Irishprinter

Hi, sorry to be a pest but would anyone be able to show me how the tubes and the pump go....somebody must have disassembled it and it is just sitting as a standalone which can't be right.:banghead:

Ghost Prophet

This is the reverse side of a maintenance station ^^

attachment.php

This is "a" capping station (not exactly the same as yours, but close enough).

Two tubes go from the capping station to the pump and then from the pump you have two more tubes that should lead to your waste bottle.

Found those photos on google images. Bwahaha :)

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• capping1.jpg
    capping1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:

FINBAR

thanks for the reply....doen't sound too expenxive if it works.
Do you know of any good resources to start reading? Only have the user manual....have been trying to track down a maintenance one as well.
hello irishprinter=
from another "irishprinter".
I received a pdf of the service, not user manual, some time back from a kind gentleman on this forum and when i get the links together i will e-mail it to you.
I have a mutoh rocky for just over 5 years that is suffering capping/maintenance station priblems for some time back so i will have to bite the bullet and replace it. I have the contact no. of a mutoh service tech but i may attempt the job myself----i found a step by step guide for the job on this site also.
I am in the tel book as barry williams ballina if you wish to exchange experiences with the mutoh.
My next printer will not be a mutoh!!!!!!!!!!
Regards to all providers of help with my rocky 38,
finbar

Irishprinter

Hi Finbar,
Haven't had a print of this thing yet....but I'm heartened by the experiences on here....seem to be good machines if you can get them going. Would be very interested in finding out where you get your parts etc. This is a slow burning project for me (have plenty of cut vinyl and brush work) it's just the 'John Gormley' in me not wanting to send this large piece of engineering to the tip!.....:banghead:
Cheers for the hello!
Harry

FINBAR

Hi harry,
dave at magco plastics, naas rd, in dublin can organise parts for the mutoh machines---he is the irish agent,
he will also give you contact details for the service tech that they use.
Regards,
finbar