• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first box truck install

ironchef

John that image is too funny, wow i cant believe i started this thread. I had a busy day, just now taking a breather(smoke break!) lol

ironchef

Thanks for all the advise guys, even the odd ones, i wont be removing any rivets/screws. Got the 1005 ezrs today, moved my install for next week, im a man down and its been freaking hell... My employee is on vacation in colombia. Had another job to do like the last one where i had a lam problem (green lettering signs with bubbles on lam, tried a different brand this time which came out flawless.

SlightlyChilled

Hay Pro Wraps on the A&E van is that printed or paint-wraped the blue is nice and deep and the green just pops. There are some hell most of the wraps just look like liquid.

ProWraps

those are painted blue and the wrap is a partial. we did something like 45 of those things. had to remove the old stuff as well. that was a PITA.

Bill43mx

Maybe you are thinking of a different rivet than I am but the ones I was referring to have a star shaped head and can be removed and put back in without a problem using a star key (I think they are called). Maybe they aren't actually called rivets but that is what the trailer that we put graphics on had.

That's the answer I was looking for! I didn't want to lead him but my god....you don't know the difference between a rivet and a screw????? If you are going to give advice at least know what you are talking about.

Personally I think there is a valid argument to be made for removing and reinstalling screws, but rivets? Never!

HulkSmash

i just finished a 16ft trailer that had screws instead of rivets. Took me extra 40 seconds a panel to push the rivets down. why on earth would you remove it, there's no real argument there, just people looking for a shortcut and trying to do it the wrong way.

Attachments

• 20130116_105120.jpg
    20130116_105120.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 27266_583923654958497_465442009_n.jpg
    27266_583923654958497_465442009_n.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 83

tsgstl

i just finished a 16ft trailer that had screws instead of rivets. why on earth would you remove it, there's no real argument there, just people looking for a shortcut and trying to do it the wrong way.

I did a very similar trailer with chrome and had to remove the screws. Granted this was 15 years ago. Looked great though, chrome on a black trailer for a motorcycle racing outfit. Wish I still had pics

Patentagosse

I got a funny one for you. A customer is bringing his 6X12ft trailer all mounted with screws so he offers me to help removing them so I replied OK. We booked the installation for the next week and the guy made like 20 calls everywhere to get the star-shaped bit to fit his drill. He showed up and said: "sorry buddy, I offered you to help but haven't find the damn bit needed to remove the screws so I'll go slowly with WiseGrip® hoping not to scrap the paint..." I just took a deep breath, bite my tongue not to laugh and roll on the floor... I replied: "I got the bit buddy... is that the 8 points star-shaped ones on the trailer?" He said: "yes... I've been told it's exclusively for the trailer makers..." So I went with my killer line: "OK, a li'l maths here... 8 divided by 2 = 4 so any Robertson #2 square bit will do it... sorry to hear you turn the world upside-down for that".
After a second, the guy started laughing very loud and realized he was so stupid.

He made my day...

HulkSmash

I did a very similar trailer with chrome and had to remove the screws. Granted this was 15 years ago. Looked great though, chrome on a black trailer for a motorcycle racing outfit. Wish I still had pics

yeah sounds cool. I would turn down any job that required me to do so. Don't have time for that.

tsgstl

I didn't say what it paid.........

but anyway I would wash a car or do your laundry if you paid me enough. Not to proud here

CheapVehicleWrap

Since it's aluminum the plasma cutter isn't an option so just sawzall the panel off the truck and run it through the laminator then duct tape back onto the truck. Quick, easy and cheap. No need to complicate the install.

Joe Diaz

Before vinyl got so ridiculously easy to install, we used to remove screws from things like trailers. Obviously you would do parts at a time so the trailer wouldn't fall apart LOL, but it was actually quicker and easier to spend the extra time taking them out, then trying to work over them. But again that was before the Oracal 3951RA. So... It's not that big of a deal guys.

ironchef

Here it is, avery 1005. Started at 11:45 ended at 3. Install was easy but i need more practice with the rivet roller, being my first time. What you guys think.

Attachments

• image-2132457915.jpg
    image-2132457915.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3044414364.jpg
    image-3044414364.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image-376531739.jpg
    image-376531739.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 78

Patentagosse

I've watched few clips showing how to use the RollePro but since you have to leave an open channel in order to let the air out when using the RP, how do you do it on panels like this one??? Curious...